Windows 10: Re-installing Win10 on PC with new motherboard -- is this OK with MS ?

Discus and support Re-installing Win10 on PC with new motherboard -- is this OK with MS ? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Windows 10 Home Premium is currently installed on my desktop PC (1 GB HDD, 4GB RAM). There's been quite a few problems with the Gigabyte... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by esgee, Jun 5, 2016.

1. esgee Win User

Re-installing Win10 on PC with new motherboard -- is this OK with MS ?

Windows 10 Home Premium is currently installed on my desktop PC (1 GB HDD, 4GB RAM).

There's been quite a few problems with the Gigabyte motherboard, and I'd like to change to a new motherboard, while keeping the Intel Processor, RAM, HDD and DVD drive unchanged. Even the case and the power unit would remain unchanged.

I plan to reinstall Windows 7 Home Premium, and then upgrade to Windows 10 using the Win10 .iso.

But would that be OK by Microsoft's system and rules ? Am asking because apparently Windows 10 when installed and activated gets tied with the specific hardware. Have heard that one can't activate again with different hardware.

Thanks.

:)

esgee, Jun 5, 2016

2. Hardware and Motherborad compatibility issues when upgrading to Windows 10.

Original Title: Win10 Download /installl weird works

Earlier today, posted for this same issue, and found it impossible to Login again using a password manager on this forum. My solution was create new account.

In any case:

My Pc Prior to 110315 had a motherboard with NVIDIA DRIVERS and WIN10 indicated the NVIDIA GFORCE 6150s... monitor driver was not compatible.

110315 Installed Motherboard with Intel CPU, INTEL Monitor DRIVERS, WIN7 was re-activated after the installation..

HOWEVER THERE IS NO WAY TO GET WIN10 to check compatibllity on the new Motherboard and drivers.

As suggested in a previous response from ANDRE DA COSTA the media download to create an ISO was attempted and does not work as the same rejection occurs " Gforce.... not made compatible by the manufacturer" is still used as reason for rejection. The download
    will not make an ISO DVD or run an install.

Can't find any method to get this system to be rechecked, trying MS SUPPORT is a circular loop.

MadMax225985, Jun 5, 2016
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Cant activate Windows 10 after hardware upgrade

"new motherboard, hdd and graphic card"

Activation for any version of Windows is tied to the motherboard, and is not transferable to

a new motherboard, or PC.

There are more expensive 'retail' disk versions of Windows which come with a license to install to more than one

machine concurrently, but if using the more common OEM (system builders) disk, you can install to only

one machine.

- Exception will sometimes also be made when activating on line if your original motherboard failed and

you replace it with the exact same brand and model motherboard.

Using a new HDD and graphics card, as well as new motherboard pretty much puts your machine in

the category of new machine in relation to Windows activation.

You will need a new copy of Win10, (or Win8/8.1 should you decide not to stick to Win10).

You can buy one from whoever you bought the other components from.

($149- from PC Case Gear, U-mart and MSY)

You can also buy a new key from MS and download Win10 (disk is much better if repairs are needed in future, but.)

BossDweeb, Jun 5, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Hello esgee,

Yes, you will find that a motherboard change will not automatically reactivate because MS considers your original W10 to be associated with the previous MB. This is a good example of where you need to contact MS by phone and they will be able to reactivate for you provided you explain that you have changed motherboards and are not going to be re-using the old one. It should not be necessary to reinstall W7 just install W10 directly from the .iso; I am assuming you will go for a different motherboard but if not you might be able to simply plug back in the previous HDD and start up OK.

philc43, Jun 5, 2016
  5. esgee Win User
    That's a relief ! Thanks.

And I certainly will be going for a different motherboard.

Didn't know I can install Win10 directly. That's great. Thanks again. *Smile

esgee, Jun 5, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    If this is a retail copy of Windows 7, it most likely will not require a phone call unless it has been activated a number of times on different hardware. If it is an OEM copy of Windows 7, then the EULA only allows for transfer in the case of a mother that is identical (although it may work if this is a commercial board like Gigabyte rather than an OEM one).

Mystere, Jun 5, 2016
  7. esgee Win User
    This Win7 is a retail copy. And let's see how it works out after I set up the new MB.

Cheers.

esgee, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Re-installing Win10 on PC with new motherboard -- is this OK with MS ? - Similar Threads - installing Win10 motherboard

2. PC with Windows 10 has new motherboard. Unable to use old MS Win10 registration code,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC with Windows 10 has new motherboard. Unable to use old MS Win10 registration code,...: Suggestion is to uninstall the product key, so I followed instructions:Run as admin:cmdslmgr /upk workedNow to also remove it from the registry:slmgr .vbs /cpkyReceived an error message to say the server vbs cannot be reached?Help! Thanks....
  3. Unable to re-install windows 10 on new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to re-install windows 10 on new motherboard.: Hi, Recently my motherboard died due to assuming power issues and when I bought a replacement, I am unable to log into windows due to the "preparing windows repair" then winload.efi missing, so when I go to advanced options, I figure I might as well wipe my SSD since I have...
  4. Unable to re-install windows 10 on new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to re-install windows 10 on new motherboard.: Hi, Recently my motherboard died due to assuming power issues and when I bought a replacement, I am unable to log into windows due to the "preparing windows repair" then winload.efi missing, so when I go to advanced options, I figure I might as well wipe my SSD since I have...
  5. Unable to re-install windows 10 on new motherboard.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. replace motherboard and re-install W10

replace motherboard and re-install W10: Hi All, Excuse the repetition of questions. I seem to go word blind looking at the permutations to same questions. Very basically I am replacing my Motherboard for the same as the one that decided it didn't want to play anymore and just transferring the CPU to that new...
  7. Can't activate win10 after installing new motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't activate win10 after installing new motherboard: Hi I've tried to follow all the steps offered by Microsoft's help section but it doesn't seem to work for me. I bought a new Motherboard which I installed and now I can't activate my Windows 10 again. I updated to Win10 quite a while ago, from win7 or 8. I also have a...
  8. Motherboard is ok with this GPU?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Motherboard is ok with this GPU?: Hello, sorry to post this such technical question here sadly tomshardware website acting weird and I cannot login there so I ask here. I have a ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer motherboard on a i7 processor, NVIDIA GT 710 2GB can work on this motherboard? is there a VGA slot? I learned...
  9. Install new motherboard- Install before or after Win10 upgrade?

in Windows 10 Support
    Install new motherboard- Install before or after Win10 upgrade?: I have an HTPC on Windows 7 that I want to upgrade to Windows 10. I want to change the motherboard to an mini-ITX format. Should I install Windows 10 before or after changing out the motherboard? Trying to avoid a hangup. 22556
  10. Reinstall with new Motherboard? Win10

Reinstall with new Motherboard? Win10: I've purchased all the components for my new PC..and it includes a completely new chipset on the motherboard (1151). I recently purchased a windows 10 key from here (Windows 10 Home 32-bit/64-bit English International: Amazon.co.uk: Software). The USB flash drive Home...