Windows 10: Re-installing Windows with RAID/Storage Spaces

Discus and support Re-installing Windows with RAID/Storage Spaces in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; On my personal file server PC, I have two 1TB drives that are configured in Windows Storage Spaces to be I'm assuming a RAID1 array. Basically my two... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ryley2637, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ryley2637 Win User

Re-installing Windows with RAID/Storage Spaces

On my personal file server PC, I have two 1TB drives that are configured in Windows Storage Spaces to be I'm assuming a RAID1 array. Basically my two 1TB drives show up as one 1TB drive. Eventually I am going to replace Windows 10 with Server 2016 (which is on a separate SSD) and I wanted to make sure I didn't corrupt the array, or whatever it is with Storage Spaces, when I reinstall Window. I thought about just unplugging the drives while I reinstall, but I wasn't sure if this will still cause issues. So do I need to do anything to prevent issues, or can I reinstall Windows without worry. If I do need to do something: backup data; clear the Storage Space setup and anything else?

:)

ryley2637, Jul 2, 2016

2. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 7 Lost Drivers for SATA RAID Controller

You have to realize that RAID is an ancient technology. There are not many who will be willing to develop software/hardware for it when win 10 has its own built in raid-like storage space. You can do most of the same things in win 10 storage spaces as
    you can with raid including redundancy, spanning, etc.

You choices are to wait for a possible win 10 compatible or perhaps play with storage spaces.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 2, 2016
  3. How to Run Chkdsk /f on a storage space that's read-only?

I will try to get some Hard disks out of the storage space to back-up my data. I will let you know how that goes Re-installing Windows with RAID/Storage Spaces ;)

Assuming it will work would stablebit drivepool combined with snapraid be a viable alternative to windows Storage Spaces? (Disks are different sizes, so a RAID 5 or RAID 6 seems out of the question.

IngmarVerelst, Jul 2, 2016
Thema:

Re-installing Windows with RAID/Storage Spaces

1. Re-installing Windows with RAID/Storage Spaces - Similar Threads - installing RAID Storage

2. Raid 10, windows storage space error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Raid 10, windows storage space error: HI,I built a "software" raid 10 using this howto :I had a power outage, and , I can't access it anymore...It seems not having any problems, expect I don't have the "disk" mounted in windows.I have a space alert, but no way to repair it from windows:Thanks a lot....
  3. Raid 10, windows storage space error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Raid 10, windows storage space error: HI,I built a "software" raid 10 using this howto :I had a power outage, and , I can't access it anymore...It seems not having any problems, expect I don't have the "disk" mounted in windows.I have a space alert, but no way to repair it from windows:Thanks a lot....
  4. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  5. Storage spaces raid 0

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage spaces raid 0: have 5 disks with 18TB so made a storage space of 81TB but only allowed to use 63 TB as NTFS. 64TB fails. whats wrong ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/storage-spaces-raid-0/84616e8c-ac97-462e-8692-df76beb92272
  6. Storage spaces raid 0

7. Storage Spaces not re-balancing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces not re-balancing: Hello. I’m using Microsoft Storage Space on Windows 11Vantec HX4R HDD enclosure1 x 4Tb HDD1 x 2Tb HDD2 x 1Tb HDDI have filled it up half way and it says there is no free space left. I see the 2 x 1Tb HDD’s are 99.9% full. The 4Tb is at about 20% and the 2Tb is at about 40%I...
  8. Storage Spaces not re-balancing

Storage Spaces not re-balancing: Hello. I’m using Microsoft Storage Space on Windows 11Vantec HX4R HDD enclosure1 x 4Tb HDD1 x 2Tb HDD2 x 1Tb HDDI have filled it up half way and it says there is no free space left. I see the 2 x 1Tb HDD’s are 99.9% full. The 4Tb is at about 20% and the 2Tb is at about 40%I...
  9. Storage Space on RAID not available

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Storage Space on RAID not available: Windows 10 pro, just installed. Version 20H2. (Updates not yet started.) Two RAID 1 arrays created in BIOS MB: X570 AORUS Ultra, BIOS date Dec. 2019 I just installed Win10 Pro on the first RAID 1 (two M.2 drives). Windows cannot see the larger RAID 1 (SATA) I'd planned to use...
  10. Onboard Raid with Intel RST or Storage Spaces?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Onboard Raid with Intel RST or Storage Spaces?: I've been looking everywhere and can't find any good info on this. I have an Asus ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA motherboard with raid on it. I am planning on setting up a raid 1 between two 14TB WD Ultrastar drives. Would I be better off setting it up via the bios and use Intel RST...