Windows 10: Re-plugging external USB devices after servicing your PC

Discus and support Re-plugging external USB devices after servicing your PC in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I was always curious, when you have to plug back all your external USB devices for your desktop (say, after you upgraded RAM, or put in a larger hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ahmd, Mar 3, 2020.

1. ahmd Win User

Re-plugging external USB devices after servicing your PC

I was always curious, when you have to plug back all your external USB devices for your desktop (say, after you upgraded RAM, or put in a larger hard drive, or just after cleaning it) -- does it matter to remember how things were plugged in so that I can put everything back into the same USB ports?

PS. And if yes, how do you guys memorize that? In my case, I have about 6 USB cables that are all black and look pretty much the same even if I took a picture.

:)

ahmd, Mar 3, 2020
  2. Ferdz Amp Win User

Toshiba External USB drives not showing in Explorer or Disk Management Plug-in

Thank you for the update.

Looks like your system is unable to detect your external hard drive. Let's see if scanning for new hardware will fix the issue. Follow these steps:

• Press the Windows key to launch the Start menu.
    • Type in Device Manager and press Enter.
    • Under Device Manager, select Action tab > Scan for hardware changes.
    • Wait for your system to install the generic driver for your device and follow the on-screen instructions.

If the issue still persists, we suggest that you perform the following recommendations below:

• Plug in your external USB drives to other USB device port of your system.
    • Use other USB cables for your external device to connect to your system.

Keep us updated and we will be glad to assist you further.

Ferdz Amp, Mar 3, 2020
  3. USB Connected device not found by PC

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand how difficult it is, when the device doesn't work in the way it should. I appreciate the troubleshooting steps that you've tried so far.

Since you tried the same PS4 controller on a different laptop and failed to connect, resetting the system is not required and assuming that it could be a hardware related issue.

In this scenario, we would suggest you to try these methods and let us know the result of these methods.

Method 1: Steps to reset PS4

1. Turn back the controller.
    2. You should see a tiny reset button. It must be close to the L2 button.
    3. Use a pen or a needle and push the button for 10 seconds.
    4. Connect the controller and check

Method 2: Update HID in Device Manager.

1. Press Windows + X and click on
      Device manager
    2. Click on View tab on the top. Select
      Show hidden devices.
    3. Search & Expand Human Interface Devices and then check for
      HID-complaint game controller.
    4. Right Click on it and select Uninstall.
    5. Restart the PC and plug in the USB PS4 controller to install automatically.

Method 3: Set the PS4 as default app.

1. Press Windows +R key from the keyboard to open Run command.
    2. Type joy.cpl and click OK.
    3. Select the PS4 controller in the list and click on Advanced tab below.
    4. Then select the PS4 controller as preferred device and click OK.

However, you can also refer this Error:
    “USB Device not recognized” when you try to access a USB external hard drive
    article to troubleshoot, please exclude method 1 and 2 as they are not relevant to PS4.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Mar 3, 2020
  4. Re-plugging external USB devices after servicing your PC

USB device not reconized

Hi Henry,

I realize that you get message “USB device not recognized” on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

• Did you make any changes to the PC?

Plug in the USB device into another PC to check if the issue persists. Plug in another USB device into this PC to check if that helps.

Suggest you to run the hardware troubleshooter and check if that helps. Once this is done, restart the computer to check if this helps.

• Press “Windows key + X” to click on “Control Panel”.

• Click on “Troubleshooting” and click on “View all”.

Click on “Hardware and Devices” to run the troubleshooter. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Mar 3, 2020
Thema:

Re-plugging external USB devices after servicing your PC

1. Re-plugging external USB devices after servicing your PC - Similar Threads - plugging external USB

2. Plug USB with documents into USB socket on PC replies "open devices & printers "

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Plug USB with documents into USB socket on PC replies "open devices & printers ": Plug USB with documents into USB socket on PC replies "open devices & printers " https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/plug-usb-with-documents-into-usb-socket-on-pc/f35fee20-1b52-4a0f-be72-34d4312899d3
  3. BSOD after Plugging in USB device

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after Plugging in USB device: So it happened just yesterday, but some symptoms did appeared before. Windows 10 home intel core i7-7700HQ @2.80GHz 64bit 1. 3 days ago, my computer started to lag eventhough my ram is 24 gb 2. last night, when I tried to plug my usb32 gb flash drive for documents and...
  4. All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All USB devices stop working unless I unplug/ re-plug a USB device back in: * I previously posted this in /r/techsupport but did not get any solutions to the problem * I've had this Windows 10 computer for about 3-4 years now and up until a few days ago it was working perfectly fine with no problems. Yesterday, my computer wouldn't detect my PS3...
  5. Re-install app after un-plugging PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re-install app after un-plugging PC: I have recently un-plugged my CyberPower Gaming PC that is a couple of months old, I planned on moving it to a new location and when I plugged it back in, all of my video games I had installed prior to unplugging it notifies me that I must re-download all of my games. I...
  6. No internet connection with external usb hub plugged in

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    No internet connection with external usb hub plugged in: Hi guys, I recently bought an external usb hub, as my laptop only has 2 ports. What's happening is if I have 2 things plugged into the external ports and one in the computer's, my laptop disconnects from the internet and says I am unable to connect back. As soon as I unplug...
  7. Plugging in USB after boot leads to unrecognized device

Plugging in USB after boot leads to unrecognized device: Hi all, I have had humongous problems since buying a new laptop (HP EliteBook 850 G5) and having Windows 10. The biggest problem by far has been the USB ports. I have tried absolutely everything, but I cannot get my problem resolved. Maybe, I am missing something, but I...
  8. All USB devices get re-connected when plugging another one

All USB devices get re-connected when plugging another one: Hello, I have Windows 10 Home OS on my HP laptop, 2 WD 1 TB external hard drives, 1 flash drive. The issue is the following: When plugging the second HDD, all USB devices get re-connected. I just want to avoid re-connections when a new USB device is plugged. Is this...
  9. Re: External docking device.

Re: External docking device.: I recently obtained a refurbished desktop for 90 bux. It has an adequate cpu as well as Win 10. The problem being that the hdd is tiny. I also purchased a WDC hdd, size 2T I could plug into an External dd. Everything went swimmingly until the Ext dd was started. The...
  10. USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in

USB device not recognized - With no USB devices plugged in: Just built a new gaming rig Sunday, haven't had a lot of time to mess around with it but Monday night and Tuesday morning the only issues I had were with some slow networking. Tuesday evening a new problem cropped up - constant USB device connected/disconnected sounds,...