Windows 10: Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8

Discus and support Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So I think I've found a workaround that doesn't require a third party program. I simply can't reply to the original thread because it's closed, but I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jackosataco, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8

So I think I've found a workaround that doesn't require a third party program. I simply can't reply to the original thread because it's closed, but I think my two cents may help some people since I'm having this problem on Windows 10 nearly seven years later.

It seems that, because I'm trying to rename something on dropbox, that there's a lag between me choosing to rename the file and dropbox recognizing that I'm trying to rename a file. At first, I would wait a few seconds, hit "Home" or the left arrow key, and then work on renaming the file hoping it doesn't happen again, which sometimes it does.

It seems though, that if I hit backspace when the filename is still initially selected, ctrl+z to undo deleting the file name, and then home to get back to the beginning of the file name, I can use the arrow keys to move to the portion I need to rename unmolested, almost like it forces dropbox to recognize that a file is being renamed.

Original thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-files/renaming-files-annoying-automatic-re-selection-of/3e451ce8-282a-4638-88ee-fd9f7cca2536

:)

jackosataco, Oct 19, 2020

2. Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

While looking for a fix for the problem in the title I came across another user with the same description of a problem. - Only that I'm using Win 10 Pro (upgraded from win 8.1).

See citation below for the detailed problem description.

I want to add that I first suspected my mouse or keyboard to cause the problem by doing random clicks/presses, but switching keyboard and mouse did not help.

Also, the problem persists when I'm not touching the mouse but navigate only via keyboard/drop-down-menue-key/arrows->"rename"/enter/...

Upon inspection of the bug I found that, sometimes the cursor is merely reset to a different location within the file/fold-name, instead of selecting the entire name. However, the location of the cursor-insert is not correlated to the mouse-cursor-location
    on the screen!

Would love some technically insightful response as to where this might be coming from. Much rather then "plug-unplug"-types of suggestions on how to fix it.

Hope this helps in resolving the problem for Microsoft.

Friendly regards,

SB

"Hi All -

This problem has been bugging me since I switched over to Windows 8 a couple of years ago.

When renaming a file or folder in Windows 8.1 file explorer, I click on the filename (which selects entire name), then click on the part I want to rename (for example, putting the cursor between two words or a place where I want to add a letter or word),
    and as I'm typing, Windows automatically re-selects the entire filename, which then deletes the original filename.

Example:

original filename: MyList

I click on filename, which selects entire name in blue: MyList

I click on name again to de-select and put cursor where I want it: My>cursor<List

I start typing "Grocery" to insert it between My & List, then Windows automatically selects the entire original name, then I'm left with "Grocery" which replaced the selection.

Strange - never had this problem with earlier versions of Windows. Seems to do it when I'm renaming quickly - can't seem to get it to do it when I'm slow & trying to see what Windows is up to.

Anybody else with this problem? Is there a fix?"

Selmar_Binder, Oct 19, 2020
  3. SuperSH Win User
    How to make Windows 10 select ONLY the filename when hitting F2

Is there a way to make Windows 10 select only the filename and not the extension under the Windows Explorer when I want to rename the file using F2 key? If not a setting, maybe a Registry edit? This is annoying having to select just the filename when you
    just want to rename a video or picture file.

SuperSH, Oct 19, 2020
  4. GaXve Win User

Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8

Windows Explorer - File Renaming - Double Click to Select Word

When renaming a file in Windows Explorer, the double click selects a "word". The problem I'm having is the "Double Click + Drag". This not only selects the File Name, but also the File Extension. In every text editor I've tried, the dot is a delimiter when
    selecting words on the "Double Click + Drag" selection function. In Windows Explorer, this behavior is very clunky and bothersome, because I almost never want to change/copy the File Extension, and only want to change the Filename.

Edit/Copy/Delete the whole Filename is covered with F2, which higlights the whole Filename. The problem arises when trying to select the last "Part" of a Filename.

Is there a way to change this behavior in Windows Explorer?

GaXve, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8

1. Re: Renaming files: annoying automatic re-selection of entire filename in Windows 8 - Similar Threads - Renaming files annoying

2. Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.: When I'm modifying file names, in the middle of typing, the Windows/explorer will autoselect all the names. For instance, when I'm deleting certain word, it will reselect all the names and then all will be deleted. This is so annoying.To make sure auto-reselecting is not...
  3. Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.: When I'm modifying file names, in the middle of typing, the Windows/explorer will autoselect all the names. For instance, when I'm deleting certain word, it will reselect all the names and then all will be deleted. This is so annoying.To make sure auto-reselecting is not...
  4. Windows/explorer Auto Re-select When Renaming Files.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A solution for "Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing": It's interesting that Microsoft doesn't have a good answer for this, you'll find versions of this on Dropbox and other platforms that use Window. The answer to the problem is: File Explorer is trying to resort based on your new file name. Change the FE window so it sorts by...
  6. Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename

Renaming Files Selects/Deletes Entire Filename: This problem has bugs the He__ out of me. When renaming a file or folder in Windows 10 file explorer, I click on the filename and while I am adding a word, or number and as I'm typing, Windows automatically re-selects the entire filename, which, of course when I type another...
  7. Renaming using F2 - automatic re-selection of entire filename ~3 seconds after pressing F2

Renaming using F2 - automatic re-selection of entire filename ~3 seconds after pressing F2: When modifying file names in all file types in File Explorer, I use F2 and then modify as required. When I do this, it keeps selecting the whole file name as I'm typing making the process very inefficient. I have restored defaults in File Explorer Options. But this is a...
  8. Re installing Windows 8

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Re installing Windows 8: How can I re install Windows 8 after upgrading my PC to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/re-installing-windows-8/1a8e1418-6665-45ae-8da7-6373c130dd24
  9. Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing

Explorer erratically re-selects entire file name while I'm typing: While looking for a fix for the problem in the title I came across another user with the same description of a problem. - Only that I'm using Win 10 Pro (upgraded from win 8.1). See citation below for the detailed problem description. I want to add that I first suspected...
  10. OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it

OneDrive - Automatic re-selection of entire file name before renaming part of it: I'm using Windows 10 Pro with latest updates, also I'm maintaining a OneDrive domain in the same PC. In OneDrive domain if I attempt to rename a file partly for ex: [this file rev1.*] to [this file rev2.*] it doesn't allow me to put courser right after the part i want to...