Windows 10: Re-starting in Safe Mode-Won't take Password

Discus and support Re-starting in Safe Mode-Won't take Password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Been working, I will attempt today..didn't want you to think I'd disappeared..I'll let you know what happens either way I do still have the question of... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018.

1. fleet420 Win User

Re-starting in Safe Mode-Won't take Password

Been working, I will attempt today..didn't want you to think I'd disappeared..I'll let you know what happens either way I do still have the question of which option I am suppose to take when going to the link that explains how to make the USB, "Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 from" There are 3 options which is the one I choose.
    1. Use Media Creation Tool to create Bootable Windows 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI
    2. Use "Rufus" to create Bootable Window 10 USB for Legacy BIOS and UEFI
    3. Use "Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool" to create Bootable Windows 10 USB for only Legacy BIOS

I'm pretty sure it's not number 3, but could you please say if I use 1 or 2

fleet420, Apr 22, 2018

2. Please use Option 1. It will do all the work for you and will ensure your USB is bootable.

Caledon Ken, Apr 22, 2018
  3. fleet420 Win User
    I have it on usb so am I supposed to start up and go into where I choose where I want to boot from? F2 for me, put it on boot from usb then follow your instructions?

fleet420, Apr 23, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Correct.

simrick, Apr 23, 2018
  5. fleet420 Win User
    alright what happened is nothing...it did make it so I can connect to the wifi in my house, but not like I can surf, before I did it I always had the red x on the connection icon. The usb only lit up very briefly. I am going to start over and redownload the tool, in case something happened with that, then I'll get back. I had forgotten just what a pain windows is but I'm being reminded. Thanks so far....

fleet420, Apr 23, 2018
  6. fleet420 Win User
    Nothing I do changes anything actually it seems like the usb isn't even being read. It doesn't light up like it's being used. So, at this point I wonder if I 'll ever get into it. I put it on boot from usb, but.it acts like it doesn't recognize it. I did format the usb so not sure what to do with it

fleet420, Apr 23, 2018
  7. simrick Win User
    Not exactly sure what you mean here about the wifi, but... *Confused
    I don't understand why the tool in option #1 did not make a bootable USB flash drive for you. Are you booting your system to its one-time boot menu, so you can select the flash drive as the boot option?
    Perhaps you should fill in your system specs so we can better understand what's going on. All the steps you've been given by TrustMe and CaledonKen should have had you up and running by now.

simrick, Apr 24, 2018
  8. fleet420 Win User

This laptop is a toshiba satellite that i got in 2011 it came with win 7 64 home premium, then the hard drive went out. I bought a exact same hd, installed it, but the restore discs, yes, i bought 2 sets, they would not work. I believe Toshiba codes the recovery discs to only run on their hd's. Because my neighbor, that has some type of computer business put win 10 on it saying the recoverys would not run. So thats whats on it. I dont know much about the win 10 he installed. But i think it was licensed to his business. I hesitate to return to him because...i mean how many times do you ask someone to fix your stuff. What else can i do? I am thinking i could get win 7 and install it. What options ro i have win 7 is cheap. What is your opinion?
    BUT what do you mean one time boot option? I go to the boot option f12 and the screen gives the choice of where to boot, I picked the usb and the go with it...but noting happens...nothing. it starts in the same password mode it did

fleet420, Apr 24, 2018
  9. fleet420 Win User
    Ok new results i was reading and started thinking that if the usb was not running i should try BOTH usb ports and....now it is seeming to work i am at the place where it asks if i want to repair...jeez who knew....it was the usb port its self. I will let you know how I faired

fleet420, Apr 24, 2018
  10. simrick Win User
    Excellent news!

simrick, Apr 24, 2018
  11. fleet420 Win User
    I can get to the command prompt but when I put in the commands , very carefully, it said it did not recognize the command

fleet420, Apr 24, 2018
  12. fleet420 Win User
    I then went on to try the next thing which is the elevated administrative fix. I enterer regedit and up csme registry editor. Following the instructions I went to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then I went to 'file' then hit on 'Load Hive' when I click on load hive a box opens with a file that says recovery. ..but there's nothing in it. So, this is where I am. Am I doing something wrong?

fleet420, Apr 24, 2018
  13. fleet420 Win User

When i type dir in the command prompt it says
    Volume in drive c is System Reserved
    Volume Serial Number is...it gives a number
    Somehow i think because it was his business copy of win 10 ??

fleet420, Apr 24, 2018
  14. simrick Win User
    @TrustMe said:
    So, if at the C prompt, you don't find the items in red, then that's not the partition with Windows on it. Change to D and try dir again. You need to find out which letter has been assigned to your Windows partition. Then you can continue with the next commands.

simrick, Apr 24, 2018
  15. fleet420 Win User
    Ok giving it another go, i did see the stuff you mention in red, but by then I was so tired and disgusted i went to bed, but I think after playing with it there's a chance i can do it.. I'll keep you posted, and geez thanks so much for this on going help, you guys/gals are unbelievable.

fleet420, Apr 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Re-starting in Safe Mode-Won't take Password - Similar Threads - starting Safe Mode

2. Windows won't boot and safe mode won't accept password.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won't boot and safe mode won't accept password.: I've recently encountered a problem. When I try to start my PC it will go into a bluescreen saying that your device ran into a problem. It does not reach the log in screen. then it restarts. After my laptop restarts it would run an automatic repair. It would say its...
  3. Re-starting in Safe Mode - no keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-starting in Safe Mode - no keyboard: Re-starting in safe mode no keyboard detected.........at BIOS screen. Legacy USB enabled. Can not use safe mode option. Windows 10 Home V.1909 has really caused a great deal of problems......does anyone have a fix......my drivers are up to date according to Driver Easy...
  4. Changed password forgot it and Started safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changed password forgot it and Started safe mode: Good day to who it my concern! Pls sorry on my english, hope will write all understandable. Few time ago I added t****datelly recognised my product key fr**** was ok. Opened new Microsoft account for this PC, installed all updates and PC was working just fine. After few...
  5. Windows safe mode not taking the correct password

Windows safe mode not taking the correct password: Hello everyone, I have been stuck in safe mode for a few hours now and it says my correct password, which I have changed now 3 times is incorrect and I cannot get it out of safe mode without the password, which it says no matter what is incorrect, is there anyone that knows...
  6. Won't start in safe mode on windows 10

Won't start in safe mode on windows 10: Computer won't accept password. Gone through the procedure for starting in safe mode but after getting to pressing F5, nothing happens, back to same problem not accepting password, anybody got a solution?...
  7. safe mode won't accept password

safe mode won't accept password: I followed these instructions to boot into safe mode to deal with a graphics driver issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode This seemed unnecessarily complex, but I was reassured by the checkbox for "make this change...
  8. Safe Mode won't accept correct password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Safe Mode won't accept correct password: I'm trying to run a third party software (AVG Internet Security) cleanup file that recommends Safe Mode. Yet, when I get to the Safe Mode lock screen, it won't accept my password (note that I am entering the password, not the PIN - it's the same password that gets me into my...
  9. Safe Mode won't accept correct password

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe Mode won't accept correct password: I'm trying to run a third party software (AVG Internet Security) cleanup file that recommends Safe Mode. Yet, when I get to the Safe Mode lock screen, it won't accept my password (note that I am entering the password, not the PIN - it's the same password that gets me into my...
  10. Starting in Safe Mode - Password is not accepted

in Windows 10 Support
    Starting in Safe Mode - Password is not accepted: Hi, I would like to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode, but when doing so and asked for my password it will not work. I normally use a pin code. The only password I can remember to have used on this machine is the password used with Microsoft OneDrive and it is not accepted...