Windows 10: Re-starting in Safe Mode-Won't take Password

Discus and support Re-starting in Safe Mode-Won't take Password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; there's some issues. but when I say them,.. you don't say what to do and that is why I am confused. I have things that are not doing what you say they... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018.

1. fleet420 Win User

Re-starting in Safe Mode-Won't take Password

there's some issues. but when I say them,.. you don't say what to do and that is why I am confused. I have things that are not doing what you say they should do. The System Config Box. we need to discuss this first
    I am in the elevated account now,
    When I was checking the Normal Startup box in the General Tab, then restarting, it would not work, it continued to start in Safe Mode.
    So...I then went to the Boot Tab, the top area lists the accounts you have. there are 2. One is the Elevated account,
    the other is ...what it is calling, AVG Antivirus Uninstall (C:\Windows) : Current OS;Default OS

OK I hope you are with me
    In the Boot Tab- when you hit on the Elevated Admin account none of the boxes at the bottom, the boot options, are checked.
    But when you hit on the AVG...(which is the one I can not get in) the Safe Mode box is checked.
    If you look at post #33 this is the box and place I am talking about.
    AND when you uncheck that box in the Boot Options is causes the box on the General tab to go to Selective Startup, all the boxes are checked, but this is what I have going on.
    Can you understand what I am saying.?? so far

fleet420, Apr 26, 2018
  2. simrick Win User

Did you try unchecking the safe mode box for the AVG one and rebooting?

simrick, Apr 26, 2018
  3. fleet420 Win User
    yea, when I uncheck it then when it restarts it will not be in safe mode. and here's a lil surprise..I am in my account. I don't know how or why...but I went to the control panel, and went to the users and it showed both accounts and I was able to change the password for MY account, so I restarted but here's what happened, it would ONLY start in safe mode...in both Elevated and in Mine. but the password works to open it. But now it only starts in safe mode
    I know this is gonna seem crazy but it acts like the Elevated account is win7 the control panel is win 7 so it's hinky
    It's really slow and draggy. what do you think? I wish i could take screen shots so you could see what I am doing.

fleet420, Apr 26, 2018
  4. simrick Win User

Great! You are in your account, you've been able to change your password.

So you're saying that now, both accounts only restart in Safe Mode? and if you run msconfig, and go to the BOOT tab, how many entries does it show now in the window? One or two? and can you change both of them so that the Safe Boot box is not checked, then click the APPLY button for each?

You can use the snipping tool to take screenshots and paste them here for us to see. Just search for snip and it will popup - pin it to your taskbar for easy access.

simrick, Apr 26, 2018
  5. fleet420 Win User
    It shows 2 accounts. when I put it on MY account that is where the safe mode box is checked , so I unchecked it, hit apply and restarted. So now when I look at the at the system config. in the general tab (where it opens) instead of being in Normal Startup I am now in Selective Startup. I did try to change it to Normal but when I do that it causes the safe mode check to appear back in the box in the Boot Tab. (You get what I mean?) SO is it ok for it to start in that selective startup mode?
    Besides the above it seems ok / except slow as hell, but isn't that because it's running 2 accounts?? (I hope)

fleet420, Apr 26, 2018
  6. simrick Win User
    Selective Startup is fine. It simply means that certain things are not running at Startup - has nothing to do with the Safe Mode issue at this point.
    You need to go ahead and re-hide the elevated Admin Account.
    Then get back into your normal admin account and we'll see if we can't fix things for you.

simrick, Apr 26, 2018
  7. fleet420 Win User
    What way do I disable it, when I did it before I was not on windows, it was using the usb. How do I turn it off?

fleet420, Apr 26, 2018
  8. simrick Win User

simrick, Apr 26, 2018
  9. simrick Win User
    Fleet, I'm leaving for the night. Would like to give you a couple things to do, since you're several hours behind me:

Open Control Panel, go to System and tell us what it says for Windows Edition (Home/Pro/Education/Enterprise, etc.)

Look in Settings>Apps & features and see if AVG is still showing in there. If so, see if you can uninstall it that way. If it's not there, good. If it is still there, but you can't uninstall it, let us know.

Open an Admin Command Prompt and type
    Code: sfc /scannow[/quote] Hit Enter and let it run. We're looking for the result "No violations found". If it says anything else, reboot the system and run it again, up to 3 times.

If you still get errors that can't be fixed, enter this in the Admin Command Prompt box
    Code: findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"[/quote] This will put a text file on your desktop called sfcdetails. Post that information here.

In the Admin Command Prompt type
    Code: chkdsk /r[/quote] The system will tell you it can't check the disk because it's in use, and would you like it to run at the next boot? Answer Y [then enter], then reboot the system and let the disk check run.

Do you have an empty USB flash drive at least 8gig?
    Do you have an external hard drive? Do you have your data backed up on it?
    Just need to know this stuff...

simrick, Apr 26, 2018
  10. fleet420 Win User
    Ok thx for everything so far, I'll follow your instructions and post information you want. Sleep well.

fleet420, Apr 26, 2018
  11. fleet420 Win User
    What I did, in the order I did it -

Disabled Elevated Admin.
    Removed AVG / with no problems
    Ran both scans / no problems on either
    Ran a scan with Windows Defender / nothing found

I looked in Control Panel/System here's what I got-
    Windows 10 Enterprise 2015 LTSB
    64bit x64Based Processor

I have many USB's - 5=8G and 1=16G (no shortage there)
    I do not have an external drive

I do not have any backup, because when I try to do it I get confused, frustrated then I give up (I know *Eek)
    I have access to another new...win 10 home pro 64bit/Dell that I can use to download or research on and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (oldie but goody)

Here's what it does now.
    when I start up, it asks me which user and these are the choices it gives
    Windows 10
    or
    AVG Antivirus Uninstall

the Win 10 is/or was the Elevated Admin. Account but not sure what it is now, I haven't picked it
    I pick the AVG Antivirus Uninstall and it is my User account I have to put the changed password in and it opens with no issues.
    When I am in my desktop some things do not work,.. like the start button and in the Control Panel it does say, in the Backup heading, Backup and restore Windows 7, so not sure bout that, ?
    I will be cleaning my gutters today *cry I am not thrilled at the idea. But will come back every hour or so to see if you have posted. Thanks so much!

fleet420, Apr 26, 2018
  12. Hi fleet420

Here is what I think I would do. You may wish to wait for a second opinion. This all started when you said you uninstalled AVG. You then said you ran a cleaner ( I avoid cleaners myself) and I think it corrupted the uninstall. Likely AVG would have at some point asked for a restart to get at files locked by Windows, the restart would have released them. AVG realized something went sideways and failed to safe mode.

So I would download the AVG Remover program found at this link. Maybe even down load on your other machine.

Download tools and utilities | AVG

I would then boot to safe mode (yes I know this sounds like trouble) and I would run the AVG Remover exe and then I would boot back to Normal start up.

To get to safe mode I would hold the shift key down and left click restart. Windows will restart with the Advance Startup Options, tutorial attached.

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Once windows restarts click Trouble Shoot, then Advance Options, then Startup Settings, then Restart in lower right corner and finally selection 5) Safe mode with networking.

Run AVG Remover exe.

Restart computer.

As I said you may wish to see what others have to say. If this fails I think I would trying the in place repair. I'm getting ahead of myself. One step at a time.

Caledon Ken, Apr 26, 2018
  13. fleet420 Win User

wow, let me quickly add this, when I start it, it stops briefly at the page with those 2 users. If I do nothing it will go straight to my password protected account.
    When I looked in the Control Panel to see if I could manage other users, there were none, only my account we fixed, which i did rename because it needed a name. so. let's see what the general opinion is then we do it. wow that's a lot to take in. Have to print that out. wheew we.
    Thank You
    oh
    wait a minute,...did you say,.......Repair Shop *Eek*Eek NOoooo

fleet420, Apr 27, 2018
  14. simrick Win User
    Okay good. thank you.

Thanks.

We can help you with a backup, but you'll need an external drive for that.

Okay.

I think, you should log out of AVG Antivirus Uninstall and try going into the Windows 10 account. See what's in there. Are all your files and documents there as well?

simrick, Apr 27, 2018
  15. and I didn't say repair shop, I said in place repair. (another process)

Caledon Ken, Apr 27, 2018
Thema:

1. Re-starting in Safe Mode-Won't take Password - Similar Threads - starting Safe Mode

2. Windows won't boot and safe mode won't accept password.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows won't boot and safe mode won't accept password.: I've recently encountered a problem. When I try to start my PC it will go into a bluescreen saying that your device ran into a problem. It does not reach the log in screen. then it restarts. After my laptop restarts it would run an automatic repair. It would say its...
  3. Re-starting in Safe Mode - no keyboard

in Windows 10 Support
    Re-starting in Safe Mode - no keyboard: Re-starting in safe mode no keyboard detected.........at BIOS screen. Legacy USB enabled. Can not use safe mode option. Windows 10 Home V.1909 has really caused a great deal of problems......does anyone have a fix......my drivers are up to date according to Driver Easy...
  4. Changed password forgot it and Started safe mode

in Windows 10 Customization
    Changed password forgot it and Started safe mode: Good day to who it my concern! Pls sorry on my english, hope will write all understandable. Few time ago I added t****datelly recognised my product key fr**** was ok. Opened new Microsoft account for this PC, installed all updates and PC was working just fine. After few...
  5. Windows safe mode not taking the correct password

Windows safe mode not taking the correct password: Hello everyone, I have been stuck in safe mode for a few hours now and it says my correct password, which I have changed now 3 times is incorrect and I cannot get it out of safe mode without the password, which it says no matter what is incorrect, is there anyone that knows...
  6. Won't start in safe mode on windows 10

Won't start in safe mode on windows 10: Computer won't accept password. Gone through the procedure for starting in safe mode but after getting to pressing F5, nothing happens, back to same problem not accepting password, anybody got a solution?...
  7. safe mode won't accept password

safe mode won't accept password: I followed these instructions to boot into safe mode to deal with a graphics driver issue: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode This seemed unnecessarily complex, but I was reassured by the checkbox for "make this change...
  8. Safe Mode won't accept correct password

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Safe Mode won't accept correct password: I'm trying to run a third party software (AVG Internet Security) cleanup file that recommends Safe Mode. Yet, when I get to the Safe Mode lock screen, it won't accept my password (note that I am entering the password, not the PIN - it's the same password that gets me into my...
  9. Safe Mode won't accept correct password

in Windows 10 Support
    Safe Mode won't accept correct password: I'm trying to run a third party software (AVG Internet Security) cleanup file that recommends Safe Mode. Yet, when I get to the Safe Mode lock screen, it won't accept my password (note that I am entering the password, not the PIN - it's the same password that gets me into my...
  10. Starting in Safe Mode - Password is not accepted

in Windows 10 Support
    Starting in Safe Mode - Password is not accepted: Hi, I would like to start Windows 10 in Safe Mode, but when doing so and asked for my password it will not work. I normally use a pin code. The only password I can remember to have used on this machine is the password used with Microsoft OneDrive and it is not accepted...