Windows 10: Reactivate After Hardware Change (10 Home -> Upgraded to 10 Pro via Store)

Discus and support Reactivate After Hardware Change (10 Home -> Upgraded to 10 Pro via Store) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I recently did a hardware change on my Windows 10 Pro installation. Obviously I need to reactivate Windows after the change (Code: 0xC004F211), I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by PeterBrockie, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Reactivate After Hardware Change (10 Home -> Upgraded to 10 Pro via Store)

Hi,

I recently did a hardware change on my Windows 10 Pro installation. Obviously I need to reactivate Windows after the change (Code: 0xC004F211), I select the troubleshooter and "I changed hardware" which fails with a generic "It can't be activated at this time" nonsense.

I own a retail Windows 8.1 Home key. My Windows 10 is installed with that and I did a paid upgrade to Windows 10 Pro though the store. I'm being told by tech support I can't actually activate because my key is for Home (no kidding), but what the hell was the point of paying for an upgrade if I can't use the damn key I paid for? They told me to reinstall Windows. Which isn't a problem if Windows actually allowed for a reinstallation which would keep my installed programs. For a few reasons I don't want to reinstall everything at this time, so I'm basically looking for any help in activating my legal copy of Windows without a reinstall.

TL;DR: How can I get Windows 10 Pro which was upgraded via the store to reactivate without a reinstall after a hardware change? Are there any tricks to getting it to recheck my legal key?

:)

PeterBrockie, Jun 3, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 reactivation on hardware changes

Hi Florea,

It is possible that Windows won't be able to identify your computer correctly that is why the operating system is not activated. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Jun 3, 2019
  3. Motherboard change unable to reactivate Windows 10 Pro -

I have searched this topic and everything seems to be almost a year old. This is a homebuilt machine circa 2015. It started with an ASUS FM2+ motherboard with an AMD A5600K processor. It was Windows 7 Pro, upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro then to Windows 10 Pro.
    Saturday the motherboard died. An exact replacement could not be located so a Gigabyte card was installed. No changes to the hard drives. Booted the machine and Windows automatically started and then did a "revert" then installed the latest updates. C Drive was in the red so I deleted all of the old install files using Windows Clean-up. Went to reactivate, checked the significant hardware change and entered my MS account information - The computer (none of my computers) were listed and now it is telling me that I have to spend $200 to buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro.
    Have not yet called Customer Support as the computer is at home and I work during the day -
    I do have a disk image or two that may be a year old -

Suggestions - should I just shell out the $200 and move on

TIA

Mickey53usa, Jun 3, 2019
  4. Lasaron Win User

Reactivate After Hardware Change (10 Home -> Upgraded to 10 Pro via Store)

Can not reactivate Windows 10 Pro after hardware change

Hi,

I recently installed a new motherboard, and Windows 10 Pro now shows as not activated in the activation settings.

• I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period
    • I have already tried running the troubleshooter, then selecting "I have recently changed my hardware". Two of my computers (the one in question included) shows up on the list of linked devices, and choosing "This is the device that I'm using at the moment"
      results in the following error message: "Unable to activate Windows. We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later" and a link to Windows Store to buy a new license.

UPDATE:

• I used Magical Jelly Bean to extract my Windows key, but entering it under "Change product key" (and choosing "Activate Windows) gives the error message We can't activate Windows on this device because you don't have a valid digital license or product key.
      If you think you do have a valid licence or key (I do), select Troubleshoot below (0x803fa067)

Any tips?

UPDATE 2: Customer support provided me a new key, so everything is back to being perfect. Thanks for the advice, guys!

Lasaron, Jun 3, 2019
Thema:

Reactivate After Hardware Change (10 Home -> Upgraded to 10 Pro via Store)

1. Reactivate After Hardware Change (10 Home -> Upgraded to 10 Pro via Store) - Similar Threads - Reactivate Hardware Change

2. Windows 10 Pro refuses to reactivate after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Pro refuses to reactivate after hardware upgrade: To start, I'm using a retail key not an OEM one. It was originally for Windows 7 Pro but I upgraded it to Win 10 Pro years ago and it's been working fine all this time. The key came in a physical sleeve and were sold to me by an official "Microsoft Gold Certified...
  3. Windows 10 Pro refuses to reactivate after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Pro refuses to reactivate after hardware upgrade: To start, I'm using a retail key not an OEM one. It was originally for Windows 7 Pro but I upgraded it to Win 10 Pro years ago and it's been working fine all this time. The key came in a physical sleeve and were sold to me by an official "Microsoft Gold Certified...
  4. windows 10 home to pro upgrade after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows 10 home to pro upgrade after a hardware change: I bought my laptop with Windows 10 Home and purchased and upgraded to pro successfully. Recently I bought new 500gb SSD and replaced 256gb SSD, then reinstalled Windows 10 home. Then i linked my microsoft account and tried to upgrade to pro...it's showing error...
  5. Can't reactivate Windows 10 home after hardware changes

Can't reactivate Windows 10 home after hardware changes: Hello! I changed my motherboard yesterday and i can't activate Windows. I have lost my product key. When i troubleshoot and pressing the ''Activation after hardware changes'' it finds my device/pc but when i press activate this popps up: You have any ideas how to fix it?...
  6. Windows 10 Home Reactivation after hardware change?

Windows 10 Home Reactivation after hardware change?: I recently changed my motherboard and cpu and my new pc has my account and everything but it wont let me reactivate my windows? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-home-reactivation-after-hardware-change/35c541c9-40d1-4fe1-94e6-d5b2dc00e0ee"
  7. Reactivating Windows 10 Pro after hardware change

Reactivating Windows 10 Pro after hardware change: I upgraded my hardware just today. Changed pretty much all of it, new motherboard, CPU etc. and now my Windows isn't activated anymore. I get the 0xC004F211 error code. Troubleshooting doesn't help, coming up with "We weren't able to activate Windows on this device."...
  8. Windows 10 Pro reactivation after hardware change

Windows 10 Pro reactivation after hardware change: Hello! I recently replaced my Processor/Motherboard/RAM on my Desktop PC and now I can't reactivate my Windows 10. Also, I get the error 0xC004F025 in the activation window (where I press Troubleshoot). After I select the device I am using, and pressing Activate, it says...
  9. Reactivating Windows 10 Pro After Hardware Change

Reactivating Windows 10 Pro After Hardware Change: I got Windows 10 earlier last year in 2018 from the free downloadable installation media to upgrade from Windows 7. Earlier this month, I linked my computer to my Microsoft account in order to use a Digital License because I was going to upgrade components of my PC. I...
  10. Windows 10 Home Reactivation After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Home Reactivation After Hardware Change: Hello, I recently replaced the motherboard in my PC and wanted to reactivate windows 10. I checked before the upgrade that windows 10 was linked to my Microsoft account and it said it was. Now, I am trying to reactivate windows using the troubleshooter but I keep getting an...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgraded windows 10 home to pro then changed hard drive and now cant get windows 10 pro back

2. reactivate windows 10 after hardware change

3. reactivate win10 hardware change