Windows 10: Reactivate my Windows on the PC I Upgraded!!!

Discus and support Reactivate my Windows on the PC I Upgraded!!! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Microsoft, I just upgraded my Motherboard, Processor, and Ram and now my Windows has been deactivated. I have attempted multiple suggestions about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by WilliamMcGinnis2, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Reactivate my Windows on the PC I Upgraded!!!

Microsoft,

I just upgraded my Motherboard, Processor, and Ram and now my Windows has been deactivated. I have attempted multiple suggestions about trying to get my copy or license of Windows reactivated only to be told I will need to buy a new copy of Windows because I have changed hardware and thus changed the conditions of the license that I purchased when I bought my desktop. Seriously!!!! Let me make this very clear. I understand I am just a pea in a pot and wouldn't necessarily make a huge impact on the company bottom line if I moved to Linux. However, I can migrate my existing desktop at my home and the more than sixty I have at my company. It may cause some initial pain but unless I get a satisfactory answer as to why in Gods name I would be required to purchase another license that is hardware specific then I will take the plunge and divest myself from Microsoft and latch onto a decent Linux distro that will be the easiest for my people to transition into and that has the best functionality. Very frustrated and upset. Can anyone offer a valid reason as to why a license to operate on my PC would be invalidated simply because I chose to upgrade certain aspects of the hardware on the very same PC that the Licensed Version of Windows was installed? Anyone?

:)

WilliamMcGinnis2, Jan 30, 2019

2. How do I reactivate Windows after upgrading PC?

Hi there,

I'm upgrading my PC in a few days and just wanted to be prepared when it happens. I'm replacing the mobo, RAM, GPU, PSU and CPU. My Windows installation is a student Windows 7 64bit upgrade, upgraded from a Vista 32bit OEM.

First question: I'm going to try using sysprep to strip my installation of old drivers and hopefully successfully replace them with new drivers. Should this work?

Second question: Will this upgrade invalidate my Windows license? And if so, will my PC be unusable?

Third question: If it's invalidated, how do I reactivate it? Can I re-enter the license or will I have to reinstall? If I reinstall, would the 7 Upgrade activate, as well as the Vista OEM?

Basically, the best case scenario would be that I won't have to reinstall Windows for the time being, and can do it at my leisure.

Thanks in advance!

KKSlider1337, Jan 30, 2019
  3. Boyfriend Win User
    Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

He is using AMD already. He wants downgrading to AM3. Don't know why??

If you change HDD + RAM simultaneously, Windows 7 needs to be reactivated. Only HDD cloning shouldn't require reactivation. As you are changing mobo + HDD (prehaps RAM upgrade too), you will surely require reactivation. If you have genuine license, you should reinstall OS (you might use Windows Easy Transfer). If you don't want to reinstall, you need to uninstall HDD, interfaces/system devices, and numerous other drivers (USB, HID, Portable devices, etc.), else your OS will be unstable.
    I will highly recommend to reinstall Windows 7 and enjoy your migration.

A simple trick might be like this to avoid reactivation:
    1. Clone your HDD first and boot into Windows
    2. Use it for at least one week
    3. Replace mobo only without any other hardware change/upgrade and boot
    4. Use it for at least one week
    5. Do any other upgrade (RAM, Graphic card etc.)

Don't do two simultaneous downgrades/upgrades to avoid reactivation.

Boyfriend, Jan 30, 2019
  4. kg4icg Win User

Reactivate my Windows on the PC I Upgraded!!!

Does Windows 7 require reactivation if...

Then why does it say fs/ft i7-920 in his tag and he wants to downgrade to am3 system? to go from a am2/2+ to am3 isn't a downgrade last time I checked

kg4icg, Jan 30, 2019
Thema:

Reactivate my Windows on the PC I Upgraded!!!

1. Reactivate my Windows on the PC I Upgraded!!! - Similar Threads - Reactivate Upgraded

2. My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...: I built my PC in 2019 and activated windows 10 with a product key I bought. I had no issues until I recently upgraded my CPU. The activate windows watermark came back so I went into the troubleshoot settings of activation and clicked I recently upgraded parts of this PC and...
  3. My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...: I built my PC in 2019 and activated windows 10 with a product key I bought. I had no issues until I recently upgraded my CPU. The activate windows watermark came back so I went into the troubleshoot settings of activation and clicked I recently upgraded parts of this PC and...
  4. My computer is telling me to activate windows after I upgraded the CPU, how do I reactivate...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...

Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...: Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on my PC. I have an OEM:DM type licence according to the script?...
  6. Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...: Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on my PC. I have an OEM:DM type licence according to the script?...
  7. Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...

8. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?: Hi, so I had Windows 7 pro which I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. I had some issues which meant my only option was to reinstall Windows. I also have a newer laptop that I've put my hard drive in. I did a clean install of Windows 10 from a disk I...
  9. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?

How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?: Hi, so I had Windows 7 pro which I upgraded to Windows 10 during the free upgrade period. I had some issues which meant my only option was to reinstall Windows. I also have a newer laptop that I've put my hard drive in. I did a clean install of Windows 10 from a disk I...
  10. How can I reactivate Windows after hardware change with pre-upgrade product key?