Windows 10: Reactivate the OEM license on the new harddrive

Discus and support Reactivate the OEM license on the new harddrive in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, My harddrive (which has the Win10 Pro OEM license pre-installed) died and I replace it myself with the new one. Now I reinstall Win10 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Alberos, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Alberos Win User

Reactivate the OEM license on the new harddrive

Hello,

My harddrive (which has the Win10 Pro OEM license pre-installed) died and I replace it myself with the new one. Now I reinstall Win10 and everything work fines so far, Windows tell me that my PC is activated, but more on that later.

When I (re)installed Windows on my new harddrive, I chose the Win10 "Home" in the installation page (I clicked, I don't have a key when the installation prompt me a key, then I chose Windows 10 Home). Now if I go to Activation in the Settings it shows that my PC is Win Home and is activated using digital license. I did not enter my product key yet since I re-install Windows.

The question is, how do I correct this and make Windows realize that the OEM that's was on here is the Pro license. (I do have the DVD package and the product key but I can't find COA sticker on my machine case).

Thiwat

Thanks

:)

Alberos, Nov 21, 2018
  2. Xalorous Win User

Can I run virtual windows with my OEM license?

1. Backup your Windows installation.
    2. Uninstall Windows from your hard drive.
    3. Install Windows in a VM.
    4. Ensure the Windows installation has internet access.
    5. Attempt to activate the installation. You may need to call Microsoft to complete this step over the phone.

If they ask you why your are re-activating, tell them you have removed the old installation and changed your system configuration and that you are now reinstalling. (All true.)

Don't volunteer that the Windows 7 key is OEM. Your Windows 10 entitlement may or may not be marked as originating from OEM. If they say that it is OEM and that you cannot use it to activate, then you know. Say thanks and end the call. Restore your backup from step 1 and stick with dual boot, or purchase a copy of Windows 10 and activate yours that way.

Of course, you could always install Hyper-V component of Windows 10 and run your Linux inside. No licensing issues that way. And it may be installed and running by default.

Also, before step 2, you might try to find some sort of P2V solution. This basically takes an 'image' of your physical system and converts it to a virtual machine. VirtualBox wiki article. This may trigger a reactivation due to the significant change in the HAL (hardware abstraction layer).

Xalorous, Nov 21, 2018
  3. upgrade to windows 10 home oem version

Based on how OEM licensing works, changing the motherboard invalidates the licensing. Recent communications suggest that Microsoft might be forgiving to such circumstance, so you could reinstall Windows 10 Home, then use chat support to reactivate:

Andre Da Costa, Nov 21, 2018
  4. Reactivate the OEM license on the new harddrive

Reactivate Windows 10 OEM Key

My motherboard and cpu broke and I built a new system. Nothing happened to my harddrive so I ported that to the new system, and everything works fine but it says the key is already in use (Probably because it's a new motherboard). My Windows License is
    not bound to my microsoft account and since my old pc broke I can't deactivate the key. How can I reactivate it on my new system?

Dr4g0nHunt3r, Nov 21, 2018
Thema:

Reactivate the OEM license on the new harddrive

1. Reactivate the OEM license on the new harddrive - Similar Threads - Reactivate OEM license

2. Refurbished computer new OEM license.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Refurbished computer new OEM license.: Hi all,I received a refurbished computer, but it came without a Windows license.Is it legal to buy an OEM license and activate it on a refurbished computer or are OEM only for newly bought computers?Is there any site or document with this information?thanks in advance....
  3. Refurbished computer new OEM license.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Refurbished computer new OEM license.: Hi all,I received a refurbished computer, but it came without a Windows license.Is it legal to buy an OEM license and activate it on a refurbished computer or are OEM only for newly bought computers?Is there any site or document with this information?thanks in advance....
  4. Transfer OEM license to new notebook?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Transfer OEM license to new notebook?: Hello, I have/had a toshiba qosmio X70-B-11D notebook.Which jsut stopped working and doesnt even boot anymore.However the internal harddrive seems unharmed and the files on it undamagedI can access them on another computer after turning it into an external hard driveso I...
  5. Moving windows license and office license to new harddrive in current oem PC. Can this be done?

Moving windows license and office license to new harddrive in current oem PC. Can this be done?: Moving windows license and office license to new harddrive in current oem PC. Can this be done? All hardware remains as per OEM other than new harddrive to replace broken one....
  6. Reactivating Windows on OEM Licensed Device?

Reactivating Windows on OEM Licensed Device?: Hello, I wanted to ask about this activation problem that kinda confuses me. So, I had ROG Strix G531GT with OEM licensed Windows 10 Home. After that, I bought Windows 10 Pro license from retail, obviously, activated it, and it said that the digital license is linked into my...
  7. Moving oem license to new PC

Moving oem license to new PC: Hello, 2 or 3 years ago I bought pc parts, built a pc out of them. Back then I got Windows 10 home OEM license from the retailer who told me that for personal OEM license I am entitled to deactivate it from original device and activate it on new one when I decide to build...
  8. Move OEM license to new installation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move OEM license to new installation: I have a Windows 10 Home, it came with the laptop. I'm gonna replace the SSD, and reinstall the system. I won't change anything except that (and adding 8GB additional RAM). I want to move my current license to that. Is that possible, and how? Thank you! submitted by...
  9. Reactivating windows using OEM license

Reactivating windows using OEM license: Alright so my laptop has OEM license , I need to format the pc now but im afraid of losing the license if after the format. I just need to know can I reactivate my laptop after the format using the product key i have when i got the license ? If so i would like to know how...
  10. Moving OEM license to a new device

Moving OEM license to a new device: Hello I have a question about transferring OEM licenses. Well, 2 years ago I bought a laptop with Windows 10 Pro pre-installed on board. However, I am now assembling a new computer and would like to transfer the OEM license with the key to the new equipment, of course...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Is OEM windows on the harddrive?