Windows 10: Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

Discus and support Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Keith Weisshar, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the motherboard, clean install Windows 10 and then run troubleshooter to reactivate with the same Microsoft account? What would happen if I use the Remove PC option in the list of devices in my Microsoft Account? Is there a way to do a remote wipe from the Microsoft account with Find My Device?

:)

Keith Weisshar, Apr 27, 2019

2. Can't reactivate Windows 10 Pro after replacing motherboard

Hi,

I've just replaced a faulty motherboard in my PC and tried to reactivate Windows 10 Pro via the Windows Activation troubleshooter. The license linked to my account is an upgrade from a retail version of a previous version (so i should be able to reactivate
    it). After selecting the correct device to activate I am presented with the following error message:

Unable to activate Windows

We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later.

Learn more

You can also activate this device by going to the Store and purchasing a genuine copy of Windows.

Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard Store.24.png

Go to Store

The "Learn more" page referred to does not help as I have just followed the steps listed on that page to get to where I am now.

Phil Brent, Apr 27, 2019
  3. Motherboard change unable to reactivate Windows 10 Pro -

I have searched this topic and everything seems to be almost a year old. This is a homebuilt machine circa 2015. It started with an ASUS FM2+ motherboard with an AMD A5600K processor. It was Windows 7 Pro, upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro then to Windows 10 Pro.
    Saturday the motherboard died. An exact replacement could not be located so a Gigabyte card was installed. No changes to the hard drives. Booted the machine and Windows automatically started and then did a "revert" then installed the latest updates. C Drive was in the red so I deleted all of the old install files using Windows Clean-up. Went to reactivate, checked the significant hardware change and entered my MS account information - The computer (none of my computers) were listed and now it is telling me that I have to spend $200 to buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro.
    Have not yet called Customer Support as the computer is at home and I work during the day -
    I do have a disk image or two that may be a year old -

Suggestions - should I just shell out the $200 and move on

TIA

Mickey53usa, Apr 27, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

Motherboard change unable to reactivate Windows 10 Pro -

Activate using windows 7 pro key.

cereberus, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

1. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard - Similar Threads - Reactivating retail pro

2. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  3. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  4. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 pro Reactivation after MotherBoard Change

Windows 10 pro Reactivation after MotherBoard Change: Dear Friends I have changed my mother board . Now I have facing win 10 pro ver 2004 deactivated. Tried several times windows update and security -->Activation-->troubleshoot. I changed Hardware on this device shows no device found in this Microsoft Account. But while log...
  6. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: Hi there. I recently had a significant hardware upgrade to my PC but am still using all the old hard drives, including the one I installed Windows 10 on many years ago. I've since lost my activation key, so I went to updates & security > activation in my settings and ran the...
  7. reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: My motherboard failed and I replaced it with a new board. Now windows 10 is prompting me to activate again. The activation code was embedded in the old motherboard and I don't have the code number. Activation says the code shown under system settings is not valid. Can I...
  8. Error Reactivating Windows 10 Pro Retail After Change New Motherboard

Error Reactivating Windows 10 Pro Retail After Change New Motherboard: Hi, somebody can help me, today i've change (upgrade) my motherboard, i've removed my product key from my old motherboard and when i try to activate to my new motherboard, it said error with 0xC004F025 code i have linked to with my account and it still no working,...
  9. Reactivating retail windows after new motherboard

Reactivating retail windows after new motherboard: Got windows 7 Ultimate retail years ago and got Windows 10 pro upgrade. Finally upgraded motherboard and processor and windows won't activate from troubleshooter with error code 0xC004F213. Prior to upgrading I verified my license was digitally linked to my Microsoft...
  10. Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.

Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.: Hey all I recently upgraded my motherboard and tried reactivating windows by going to Activation clicking on troubleshoot and clicking on the option that says I changed hardware on this device recently and selecting my old computer unfortunately Im just greeted with the text...