Windows 10: Reactivating Win 10 on a new device after crash of the motherboard

Discus and support Reactivating Win 10 on a new device after crash of the motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hey community! I hope you guys can help me. I'm trying to reactivate Win 10 on my desktop PC after a massive crash of my last PC motherboard, CPU,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by public boolean Pablo, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Reactivating Win 10 on a new device after crash of the motherboard

Hey community!

I hope you guys can help me. I'm trying to reactivate Win 10 on my desktop PC after a massive crash of my last PC motherboard, CPU, GPU.

The problem is i have recieved my Win 7 Image at Microsoft Dreamspark as student a few years ago and did the free upgrade to Win 10. I still have the image available but not the productkey. Is it somehow possible to avoid buying a new licensekey?

Thank you for your help.

Pablo

:)

public boolean Pablo, Jan 7, 2020

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Jan 7, 2020
  3. WhyMe Win User
    New Motherboard and Reactivation

I **think** that if you are replacing a broken motherboard with an identical replacement then you have a good chance of successfully re-activating your current Win10 installation

Once you have installed your new identical motherboard to replace the broken one I recommend you do the following:
    • Speak to a Microsoft Activation Customer Service Representative on the phone.
    • You will be able to get the phone number via the activation screen in "Settings"
    • Clearly state that the motherboard used to initially activate Windows 10 had failed and needed to replaced
    • Clearly state that this is a repair and not an upgrade
    • Clearly state that you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical like-for-like replacement (same make and model)
    • Clearly state again that this is definitely not an upgrade of your existing hardware

FYI, I have successfully re-activated previous versions of Windows after replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model. I used the method to ensure success.

If you are not 100% clear in the way you are expressing your self then you may not be successful. ie They will not re-activate if they believe you performed a major hardware upgrade

Good luck.

WhyMe, Jan 7, 2020
  4. PatCulley Win User

Reactivating Win 10 on a new device after crash of the motherboard

New motherboard won't reactivate

Just had to replace my motherboard, I have a digital licence for the PC Windows 10 won;t reactivate.

Licence was the free upgrade from win 7 ?

PatCulley, Jan 7, 2020
Thema:

Reactivating Win 10 on a new device after crash of the motherboard

1. Reactivating Win 10 on a new device after crash of the motherboard - Similar Threads - Reactivating device crash

2. Problem with reactivation of Win 10 Pro after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with reactivation of Win 10 Pro after motherboard change.: The short version is: I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro from online free upgrade years ago. I don't have a product key. I just changed motherboards old one died and tried to reactivate windows via the Troubleshooter/Hardware change. It asks me for my Microsoft password,...
  3. Problem with reactivation of Win 10 Pro after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with reactivation of Win 10 Pro after motherboard change.: The short version is: I upgraded from Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro from online free upgrade years ago. I don't have a product key. I just changed motherboards old one died and tried to reactivate windows via the Troubleshooter/Hardware change. It asks me for my Microsoft password,...
  4. Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard: I guess my account didn't update to Windows 11 and I cannot rollback to Windows 10. Now I cannot activate Windows after installing a new motherboard and the troubleshooter is no help at all...keeps saying the servers are down, for over 12 hours now. What are my options for...
  5. Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating Win 11 after installing new motherboard: I guess my account didn't update to Windows 11 and I cannot rollback to Windows 10. Now I cannot activate Windows after installing a new motherboard and the troubleshooter is no help at all...keeps saying the servers are down, for over 12 hours now. What are my options for...
  6. reactivating win 10 after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    reactivating win 10 after changing motherboard: reactivating win 10 after changing motherboard. I am trieng from months but not succeed to activate win 10 which iam using since 2016 with digital lience....
  7. Windows 10 reactivation after new motherboard install

Windows 10 reactivation after new motherboard install: Hi Everyone, My PC was pre-built by Digital Storm. I ended up having to update some hardware including my motherboard. Now, I'm encountering an issue when trying to re-activate my license (which should be tied to my Live ID). When I get to the activation page in settings,...
  8. Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard

Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard: My old motherboard had a corrupted bios and I had to buy a new one. This was a system malfunction I didn't prepare for of course. Now Windows 10 is telling me that my copy is not genuine (when in fact it is). I have followed all the steps on the support page for this issue....
  9. Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed

Windows reactivation after new motherboard installed: My old motherboard was broken so I had to replace it. I know that windows considers this a "new computer", but is there a way to transfer the license even though I could not deactivate my license on my old mobo....
  10. New Motherboard and Reactivation

New Motherboard and Reactivation: I did a clean install using the free upgrade offer a few weeks ago. Sorry to say, but it really looks like I will need a new motherboard, same make and model, but will be leaving everything else the same. Do you think Microsoft will reactivate it afterwards? If not, I...