Windows 10: Reactivating Win10 info from MS - but is it OEM or RETAIL?

Discus and support Reactivating Win10 info from MS - but is it OEM or RETAIL? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Greetings. After reading this info from Microsoft, I'm unsure if my RETAIL Windows 10 Pro can be used next time I build a gamer-PC. I bought a Win8... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Burgurne, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Burgurne Win User

Reactivating Win10 info from MS - but is it OEM or RETAIL?

Greetings.
    After reading this info from Microsoft, I'm unsure if my RETAIL Windows 10 Pro can be used next time I build a gamer-PC.
    I bought a Win8 Pro RETAIL when it was new, and this is the licens I have upgrated to Windows 10. This info from Microsoft explain how to reactivate after change of motherboard or other big hw. But I can't guess if this is about OEM or RETAIL licens *Redface My PC is at the moment activated with a digital license and a connected Microsoft account.

Microsoft's info: https://support.microsoft.com/da-dk/...ardware-change

Does anybody know what to do, when I next time buy new motherboard, CPU, Graphic card and SSD, and then want to install my RETAIL Windows 10 Pro?

:)

Burgurne, Aug 3, 2016

2. Changed MotherBoard CPU and Memory Now can't reactivate

Do you have a RETAIL or an OEM license? You can determine this by opening a command prompt and typing:

slmgr /dli

If you upgraded to Windows 10 from an earlier version, then your Windows 10 license will be of the same type your earlier version was.

If its an OEM license, then you can't reactivate, as an OEM license is valid for the lifetime of your device (broken = lifetime is over). That's why an OEM license is less expensive. If you have a RETAIL license, you should have the option to reactivate
    the license by phone, using MS automated reactivation service.

A. Henning, Aug 3, 2016
  3. dimeolas Win User
    Brand new Windows 10 OEM product keys, brand new & damaged... Microsoft doesn't support, who to call?

I called MS last night

1-800-642-7676

they had me email them a pic of the sticker and then they remoted my pc and activated my win10. Of course if I ever need to reactivate it im screwed. I find it ridiculous that they act like theyre doing their customers a favor when they are selling defective
    stickers, esp when theyve surely seen enough to know they are at fault. But, they know we have no choice. What I for got to ask em is if you can buy a win10 off their site and use it to activate the oem win...or even buy a new win10 and overwrite the oem one.
    Otherwise your pc is worthless.

Anyway, they did fix mine for now, so call and ask, and best of luck.

Scott

dimeolas, Aug 3, 2016
  4. cereberus Win User

If you upgraded from a retail licence, then windows 10 may be legally transferred to a new pc. The new tool is believed to facilitate that but its limits are not yet understood.

cereberus, Aug 3, 2016
  5. Burgurne Win User
    Yes, I did upgrade from a Windows 8 Pro (which was upgrated to Windows 8.1 Pro) RETAIL to Windows 10 Pro. And it is still a RETAIL it writes with cmd: slmgr -dli

Burgurne, Aug 3, 2016
  6. cereberus Win User
    That has no real meaning here - that just means retail branch which includes standalone or oem. Actually everybody says retail key, but strict term is standalone key (see EULA).

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reactivating Win10 info from MS - but is it OEM or RETAIL? - Similar Threads - Reactivating Win10 info

2. Reactivating a retail key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivating a retail key: Hello,In 2014, I obtained a retail windows 8.1 pro license key for my laptop. That laptop sadly died shortly after the end of the warranty period, roughly in 2017, and I bought a new laptop with an OEM-provided windows to replace it.I'm currently building a new computer and...
  3. Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro: Hello there,I got a new lenovo laptop with windows 10 oem home installed, and I want to upgrade it to retail pro through key I've purchased.Which is better: To just apply the upgrade or do clean install? Or it doesn't matter?Thank you...
  4. Windows - Retail or OEM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows - Retail or OEM: Hi! I got a 6 year old computer from one company. Windows has been removed from it, so I should buy new Windows and install them. Which version should I buy - OEM or Retail. Someone tells me: To be legal you need to buy Retail. Why OEM is not legal in this case?...
  5. OEM to Retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM to Retail: I have OEM version of Windows 10 Home activated in my pc. Now I want to activate my Windows retail key with the same PC, Motherboard and everything [nothing's changed]. Is it possible?...
  6. Oem to retail

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Oem to retail: My friend has an old pre-built with an oem windows 10 licence, and based on the internet, it’s a 50-50 shot when upgrading hardware. Is it possible to get a retail windows 10 home from Microsoft and use that to activate windows 10 from oem to retail, then upgrade his...
  7. Oem to retail

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Oem to retail: My friend has an old pre-built with an oem windows 10 licence, and based on the internet, it’s a 50-50 shot when upgrading hardware. Is it possible to get a retail windows 10 home from Microsoft and use that to activate windows 10 from oem to retail, then upgrade his...
  8. oem to retail

oem to retail: I recently bought a windows 10 oem version and had meant to buy a retail version, the license has not been activated or used at all, is it possible to pay some extra to upgrade to a retail version?...
  9. Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?

Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?: Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version. My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to...
  10. Installing Win10 from MS to HP OEM PC

Installing Win10 from MS to HP OEM PC: I'm trying to get some ACTUAL information to respond to questions on the HP Forums about whether or not folks can use a Win10 ISO downloaded from MS to reinstall Win10 on their PC, and STILL have it activate OK. I know that in the case of Win7, this will NOT work as I...