Windows 10: Reactivating windows 10 after changing motherboards.

Discus and support Reactivating windows 10 after changing motherboards. in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Just upgraded my system with new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. Trying to reactivate my windows 10. After going through the activation... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jefromc, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Jefromc Win User

Reactivating windows 10 after changing motherboards.

Just upgraded my system with new motherboard, processor, ram, and hard drive. Trying to reactivate my windows 10. After going through the activation troubleshooter and clicking on "I changed hardware on this device recently" I choose my old computer, click on "This is the device I'm using right now" and click the activate. I get the "Unable to activate Windows". I called tech support and they tell me I need my windows 8 product key from years ago that I have no idea how to find. Then they tell me that they can't help me. Anyone know a workaround?

:)

Jefromc, Feb 10, 2019

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Feb 10, 2019
  3. Motherboard change unable to reactivate Windows 10 Pro -

I have searched this topic and everything seems to be almost a year old. This is a homebuilt machine circa 2015. It started with an ASUS FM2+ motherboard with an AMD A5600K processor. It was Windows 7 Pro, upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro then to Windows 10 Pro.
    Saturday the motherboard died. An exact replacement could not be located so a Gigabyte card was installed. No changes to the hard drives. Booted the machine and Windows automatically started and then did a "revert" then installed the latest updates. C Drive was in the red so I deleted all of the old install files using Windows Clean-up. Went to reactivate, checked the significant hardware change and entered my MS account information - The computer (none of my computers) were listed and now it is telling me that I have to spend $200 to buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro.
    Have not yet called Customer Support as the computer is at home and I work during the day -
    I do have a disk image or two that may be a year old -

Suggestions - should I just shell out the $200 and move on

TIA

Mickey53usa, Feb 10, 2019
  4. cereberus Win User

Motherboard change unable to reactivate Windows 10 Pro -

Activate using windows 7 pro key.

cereberus, Feb 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Reactivating windows 10 after changing motherboards. - Similar Threads - Reactivating changing motherboards

2. Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard change: Hello, I've just switched motherboards and tried running the troubleshooter to reactivate windows. After clicking hardware change, it loads for a while then pops up saying that the servers are unavailable. I've restarted and checked that my version of windows is up to date....
  3. Reactivating windows 10 after motherboard change.

Reactivating windows 10 after motherboard change.: I go through the troubleshoot process but it doesnt even give me the option to say i changed hardware, only a link to the help page. what do i do?...
  4. Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards

Reactivating Windows 10 After Changing Motherboards: Several years ago I purchased a Windows 7 Ultimate Key that I no longer have. A year or so ago I upgraded this computer to Windows 10. I recently purchased a new motherboard. Before I went to install and swap my hardware over I was worried about not having the key anymore, so...
  5. Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change

Reactivating Windows 10 After Motherboard Change: Hello, So last night I replaced the motherboard and CPU in my computer and I made sure to watch many videos on reactivating Windows 10 on your PC after a motherboard change. So, after watching those videos I linked my Microsoft account to my product key. I was really tired...
  6. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard change

Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard change: I need to reactivate Windows 10 after replacing my motherboard. I choose a link to reactivate after a hardware change and all it tells me is "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later". That's it. I don't know wwhat to do to reactivate it and I don't...
  7. Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change

Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change: I recently upgraded motherboard, the first one I received died very quickly after I first set it up. After returning it and getting a replacement I have been unable to activate Windows 10 Home using the activation troubleshooting wizard. I purchased a Windows 8 Home licence...
  8. Reactivating windows 10 after changing motherboard

Reactivating windows 10 after changing motherboard: After changing my motherboard windows claims it is no longer genuine. I ran the troubleshooter and selected the option for "I changed hardware on this device recently". I log in with my account, locate the name of my computer but with the manufacturer of my old...
  9. Reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard.

Reactivate Windows 10 after changing motherboard.: Hello folks, hope someone may help me with this. I know this topic was already discussed before, but i still cant find an answer for myself. I had my Windows 7 upgraded to 10 with old pc. I just upgraded my pc with new motherboard,cpu and ram. Now i have trouble with Windows...
  10. Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating Windows 10 after motherboard change: I had a working computer with a fully paid Windows 10 Pro installed and it worked fine until the motherboard died. I replaced the motherboard only and windows started up immediately. I was then informed that the existing windows 10 had to be activated again. I do not know how...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. changed motherboards reactivate windows 10