Windows 10: Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change

Discus and support Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi, Microsoft Community. I very recently upgrade my motherboard and CPU which, of course, rendered Windows unable to activate my digital license. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Nicklas V, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Nicklas V Win User

Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change

Hi, Microsoft Community.

I very recently upgrade my motherboard and CPU which, of course, rendered Windows unable to activate my digital license. I knew this would happen and I had already read this article a month in advance: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530

I also read it before the hardware upgrade, and I have read it numerous times now, haha. My problem is that when I select to reactivate my Windows installation, I get the following error:

Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change 73813d8c-d1e0-4996-a4a3-4f5e31a350b7?upload=true.png

I had done the preparation steps earlier which means:

• I checked that Windows was activated.
    • I checked that my license was linked to my Microsoft account. Although in hindsight I am not entirely sure that I checked if the wording was right.
    • I know my editions are the same since I did not reinstall. (Pro)
    • I do not have a product key since I got a digital license from upgrading from Windows 8.1.

I then went through with the hardware upgrade, and now I am stuck in the following flow:

Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change a176f2e5-144d-4280-94a7-75f7ca1f632d?upload=true.png

Press Troubleshoot and choose "I changed hardware on this device recently". Which leads me to:

Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change 26aa7951-45c2-40e9-829c-7f7966200613?upload=true.png

Where I check that this is the device I'm using and Activate, which leads me to:

Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change 9e710662-1a6e-439c-9f0f-8140e5595dbe?upload=true.png

It has been a couple of days now, and I am still told that I cannot activate Windows.

I just got off the phone with customer support who told me that they cannot do anything without my product key; but I only have a digital license (due to upgrading). Therefore, I was told to buy a new license from the Store. If this is by design, that I can no longer use Windows after changing my motherboard, then the support article, that I linked earlier, should be changed to say so. I feel like the article clearly states that once I link my Microsoft account, I can reactivate, and since I can see my earlier Windows installation in the menu in the screenshot, I assume my account is linked.

I have given my motherboard away to a friend, but it'd be possible for me to reassemble my old setup. Would I then be able to release the activation and move it over to my new motherboard? Although, I'd love avoiding asking for my motherboard after giving it away..

Have I really just lost my Windows Pro copy?

:)

Nicklas V, Aug 16, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 reactivation on hardware changes

Hi Florea,

It is possible that Windows won't be able to identify your computer correctly that is why the operating system is not activated. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Aug 16, 2019
  3. Jack_924 Win User
    Windows 10 won't reactivate after a hardware change

I changed a lot of the hardware on my device recently, however I followed the steps on the Microsoft support page to get my computer ready for the hardware change so that I could reactivate Windows 10 after I changed the hardware. However, now it won't reactivate,
    and has the error code 0xC004F025, and when I try to troubleshoot it says "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."

My Windows 10 was a free upgrade from Windows 7.

Jack_924, Aug 16, 2019
  4. Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change

Windows 10 won't reactivate after a hardware change

I changed a lot of the hardware on my device recently, however I followed the steps on the Microsoft support page to get my computer ready for the hardware change so that I could reactivate Windows 10 after I changed the hardware. However, now it
    won't reactivate, and has the error code 0xC004F213, and when I try to troubleshoot it says "We can't reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later."Try again lateTry again lateTry again late but not reactivate till now my Microsoft
    accont also correct.

mahijitsingh and i want to activate my windiw, Aug 16, 2019
Thema:

Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change

1. Reactivating Windows 10 after hardware change - Similar Threads - Reactivating hardware change

2. Reactivate Windows 10 After Hardware Change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivate Windows 10 After Hardware Change: Hi, I'm having issues reactivating my Windows 10 after upgrading my hardware. My computer was automatically updated to Windows 10 when it was released so I don't have a product key. My Microsoft account is linked to my PC also but I keep getting the error code 0xC004F211....
  3. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: Hello, I changed hardware(Motherboard and CPU) and want to reactivate windows but it wont work. I do have a retail version and made sure my account was linked to my digital license so as to avoid any issues for reactivation. I tried to contact Microsoft support twice to...
  4. Reactivate windows after hardware change

Reactivate windows after hardware change: I'm trying to reactivate windows 10 after a hardware change. This link describes how to do it, but seems to assume you prepare before changing hardware by connecting the windows 10 license to the microsoft account, which I had not done....
  5. Reactivating Windows 10 After a Hardware Change

Reactivating Windows 10 After a Hardware Change: Hello! Yesterday I had to replace my motherboard due to underlying issues, such as audio problems. Previous motherboard was a MSI B150 Gaming M3, and I just upgraded to a Gigabyte B450 Aorus M. Now, on my other motherboard, I had Windows 10 anniversary edition. I didn't know...
  6. reactivation after hardware change

reactivation after hardware change: I had to basicaly rebuild my pc after it broke so pretty much a new system. I tried reactivating it and went through the troubleshooter but it won't reactivate is ther anything else i coud try?...
  7. Windows Reactivation after Hardware Change

Windows Reactivation after Hardware Change: I originally installed Windows 10 as a free upgrade from Windows 7, then linked the license to my Microsoft Account. Now I've upgraded most of my hardware and the troubleshooter is telling me I don't have a valid license that matches my device type. The Error Code I'm getting...
  8. Windows 10 not reactivating after hardware change

Windows 10 not reactivating after hardware change: I changed the motherboard in my pc recently. I associated the device with my Microsoft account beforehand so I could continue using Windows 10. It worked initially, but since yesterday it says that my version of windows is not activated. The same device is now also listed...
  9. Reactivating after a hardware change

Reactivating after a hardware change: just upgraded my motherboard and processer and now I cant reactivate windows jus get the following message error code 0xc004c003 Unable to activate Windows We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. anyone know what I need to do to fix this...
  10. Reactivating windows 10 after hardware change

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating windows 10 after hardware change: Hello, I have a problem activateing my windows 10 pro after hardware change. I have this problem After i click Troubleshoot it cames with this message I am logged in on my Microsoft account . Thanks :)...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. 0xc004f213 activation windows 10 after hardware change