Windows 10: reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Discus and support reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My motherboard failed and I replaced it with a new board. Now windows 10 is prompting me to activate again. The activation code was embedded in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BryceColeman2, Aug 13, 2019.

1. reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

My motherboard failed and I replaced it with a new board. Now windows 10 is prompting me to activate again. The activation code was embedded in the old motherboard and I don't have the code number. Activation says the code shown under system settings is not valid. Can I reactivate from my microsoft account or am I out of luck and need a new copy of windows 10 since I don't have any documentation on hand?

:)

BryceColeman2, Aug 13, 2019

2. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the motherboard, clean install Windows 10 and then run troubleshooter to reactivate with the same Microsoft account? What would happen if I use the Remove PC option in the list of devices in my Microsoft Account? Is there a way to do a remote wipe from the Microsoft account with Find My Device?

Keith Weisshar, Aug 13, 2019
  3. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Aug 13, 2019
  4. reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Windows 10 and upgrading motherboard

Hi,

Thank you for bringing up your query on Microsoft Community.

The only hardware changes that can negatively impact activation status once you upgrade to free version are the changes to the:

• CPU
    • TPM
    • Motherboard replacement
    The following changes are examples of hardware changes that will NOT impact the activation status:

• HDD/SSD
    • Video card
    • Adding extra memory
    Let us follow the steps suggested by Andre Da Costa (replied
    on July 26, 2015) in the following thread:

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Will Upgrading Motherboard After Upgrading To Windows 10 Make Me Lose My Windows License?

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows, we are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Aug 13, 2019
Thema:

reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

1. reactivating windows 10 after motherboard upgrade - Similar Threads - reactivating motherboard upgrade

2. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  3. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade: I have recently upgraded my pc. the old motherboard and cpu went faulty and i put a second hand cpu and motherboard. Now have encountered a problem that my windows is activated not anymore and showing an error code 0xc004f213 saying there has been a hardware change. I have...
  4. Windows 10 reactivation after motherboard and cpu upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade

Unable to reactivate Windows 10 after motherboard upgrade: Hi there. I recently had a significant hardware upgrade to my PC but am still using all the old hard drives, including the one I installed Windows 10 on many years ago. I've since lost my activation key, so I went to updates & security > activation in my settings and ran the...
  6. Windows 10 reactivation through digital license after motherboard upgrade

Windows 10 reactivation through digital license after motherboard upgrade: I recently installed a new motherboard for my computer as I needed to upgrade my CPU. I heard that if I linked my windows 10 license to my Microsoft account I would be able to reactivate after a hardware change. I tried to reactivate but the troubleshooter kept giving me...
  7. Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating retail Windows 10 pro after upgrading motherboard: I'm about to upgrade my motherboard and I already have my Windows 10 license linked to my Microsoft Account. Can I erase the hard drive, upgrade the motherboard, clean install Windows 10 and then run troubleshooter to reactivate with the same Microsoft account? What would...
  8. Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade

Issues Reactivating Windows Ten after Motherboard Upgrade: Hello! I recently upgraded the motherboard on my PC from the one it originally came with. Now I am prompted to reactivate Windows, but cannot as it thinks the Windows product key has been activated on another device, when its the same device. The original motherboard was...
  9. How to reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade (motherboard) if the troubleshooting...

How to reactivate Windows 10 after a hardware upgrade (motherboard) if the troubleshooting...: Hello, I bought some years ago an Asus VivoPC K20CD with an integrated Windows 10 family edition licence. Recently, I did change it's motherboard and it's RAM stick and had the text in the right corner of my screen asking me to Activate windows by accessing to the...
  10. Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.

Cannot reactivate windows after a motherboard upgrade.: Hey all I recently upgraded my motherboard and tried reactivating windows by going to Activation clicking on troubleshoot and clicking on the option that says I changed hardware on this device recently and selecting my old computer unfortunately Im just greeted with the text...