Windows 10: Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account

Discus and support Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hey people, I'm hoping someone can help me out as I can't contact the MS customer service as they are closed for the weekend and I'm stuck setting up... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/velkavonzarovich, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account

Hey people,

I'm hoping someone can help me out as I can't contact the MS customer service as they are closed for the weekend and I'm stuck setting up a new computer. I find it very difficult to find the correct information through google and I'm losing oversight. My brain is turning to mush.

On the old computer I ran the Windows 10 pro edition, the free upgrade from an eligble Windows 8 at the time. The activation information on the old pc states that the edition is Windows 10 pro and at activation it says that Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your MS account.

Before buying the new system I checked if I needed to buy a new license but since it was a digital license linked to the MS account the internet assured me that was not the case and I could reactivate using the trouble shooter and choose the change hardware option. I've upgraded the old computer several times: changed the motherboard and a new SSD and had no problems then, so figured it would be the same now.

I created a Windows 10 boot usb and installed Windows 10 pro on the new system. I then logged into my MS account and both the old and new system are visible under devices. I ran the activation troubleshooter and when it asks me to select the device to activate Windows on, it only shows the old system and I can't get the new one to show up.

I contacted MS support yesterday, received a case number and was put through to tech support but I then heard a message stating that they were closed and I had to call back during business hours pacific time (which is kinda odd, I'm located in the Netherlands). I've dialed back today and told I couldn't speak to someone at all.

The only thing I can think of is that I can't reactivate Windows 10 on the new system because it's still active on the old system. I've read that is linked to the ID of the bios/mobo and to remove the activation I'd need to reinstall another bios version or format the old system to be able to get the new device to show up as eligible. The old system however is the only 'proof' I have that it is a digital license linked to my MS account.

Some more details although I'm not sure if that helps: the old system is shown under devices with version 2004, and the new system is shown under devices as version 2009 in my MS account. Both the systems are updated to version 20H2 but in my MS account it keeps saying that the old system still requires updates and it doesn't - double checked.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to proceed with this? I used to work at computer repair and most blue screens and hardware issues were fun to fix but I can't for the live of me figure out the bloody Windows activation.

submitted by /u/velkavonzarovich
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/velkavonzarovich, Jan 23, 2021

2. Link Microsoft Account to Windows 10 Digital License  

This is what i get on step 2

Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account [​IMG]

MCardona81, Jan 23, 2021
  3. Linking Windows 10 digital license to Microsoft account: Is the link permanent?

Linking to your Microsoft Account is more of a convenience when reactivating Windows 10 after a reinstallation or hardware change such as a hard disk.

It doesn't necessarily mean, you can easily transfer Windows 10 to another computer. Here is an explanation of how it works:

Learn more about how and if you can transfer your license:

Andre Da Costa, Jan 23, 2021
  4. Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account

Linking Windows license with MS account - What does it do?

That information was from Groovypost (whatever that is) pointed to by an article in an Answers.Microsoft.com forum. Both postings were by Andre Da Costa. If one has incorrect information, the other probably does, too.

So at this point I go with Cereberus' suggestion?
    At this point a failure could either be that I did something wrong or that reactivation /transfer is not allowed. Is that correct? Will it be clear if reactivation is not allowed for OEM licenses?

Is there any option to do the reactivation using the product key (assuming the product key displayed by products like Belarc Advisor is accurate)?

If I have to get a new Windows license am I dead in the water until I get it? And is a new license somehow tied to a new copy of Windows or can I just activate the existing installation with the new key?

pokeefe0001, Jan 23, 2021
Thema:

Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account

1. Reactivating Windows 10 digital license linked to MS account - Similar Threads - Reactivating digital license

2. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  3. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account: After a new motherboard was installed, Windows 10 Home is activated with digital license, but it won't link to MS Account. Unable to sign in to MS from device, however able to open MS account through browser. Continue to receive "oops something went wrong message". I have...
  4. Digital License Windows Home 10 link to MS Account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 and digital license linked to MS account

Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 and digital license linked to MS account: I just completed the upgrade to Windows 10 but did not need to input a license key#. Apparently, my Windows 10 is activated with a digital license linked to my MS account. Does anyone know whether there is an expiry date for such license? For example, my MS account was...
  6. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 and digital license linked to MS account

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 and digital license linked to MS account: I just completed the upgrade to Windows 10 but did not need to input a license key#. Apparently, my Windows 10 is activated with a digital license linked to my MS account. Does anyone know whether there is an expiry date for such license? For example, my MS account was...
  7. Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 and digital license linked to MS account

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Digital Windows 10 license? "Reactivate"?

Digital Windows 10 license? "Reactivate"?: Hey, I wanted to ask how it is with digital licenses of Windows 10. On my account I have an active license. Now I want to use a new system. Do I have to "deactivate" Windows 10 on my old computer to make it run on the new one? Digitale Windows 10 Lizenz? "Reaktivieren"?
  9. Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account

Reactivation of a digital license not linked to a Microsoft account: I've read conflicting information regarding this matter. Basically I'm thinking about taking the HDD of my laptop behind the barn and putting it down, slip an SSD on it's place and make a clean install. Thing is, I never linked a Microsoft Account to the installation, and I...
  10. Reactivation of WIndows 10 digital license

Reactivation of WIndows 10 digital license: Hi, I have received a digital upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 Home and have the copy on my VM. Now I want to transfer it to my physical machine, but am not able to activate the license. I get error code 0x803FA067. How can I successfully activate my windows? Thanks!...