Windows 10: reactivating windows 10 on new hardware, without "proper" product key

Discus and support reactivating windows 10 on new hardware, without "proper" product key in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Sorry for so many posts, but this may be my most important question yet. My "introduction" to windows 10 started with the purchase of a used machine,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PeterPan2000, Feb 6, 2020.

1. reactivating windows 10 on new hardware, without "proper" product key

Sorry for so many posts, but this may be my most important question yet.

My "introduction" to windows 10 started with the purchase of a used machine, from a computer/resaler on Amazon. It is a fully activated install (seems like an OEM install) of windows 10 pro, 64 bit. The machine works well. I've linked m Microsoft account I already had from SKYPE to the machine, and after re-installing several programs I'm now looking to protect myself from failures. I've already cloned my system drive and tested it, so I know my system is backed up. BUT!!! What I'm more worried about now is what would happen if I had to move the system drive to another machine!

I understand about installing drivers for different hardware. My concern is that I'm sure the system will detect when it has been moved, and will want me to enter things like the product key, to prove my licensing. Well there doesn't seem to BE a product key, and the seller won't offer me one! The activation check tool available through the Start-> help says my machine is activated, so that's a start. There is an OEM microsoft product key on the computer case, but it was from Vista, and I doubt it has anything to do with the win-10 install. I tried to check, but that's when I discovered that all the software tools I've found using both google and calling microsoft have not revealed any typical product key, with 5 groups of HEX digits.

I've called Microsoft numerous times, each time wasting the first 10 minutes coaxing the "automated" robot to connect me to a live human. When I do get a human there usually is a language barrier. But in the end they just route me through the same tests. The first is a test you can run from CMD as administrator and enter:

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

All that does is respond with "OA3xOriginalProductKey", with no product key shown afterward.

I also tried this PITA string in powershell...

powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"

The command is accepted but again reports nothing.

One rep I spoke to was smart enough to say he was going to attempt to directly connect with my computer, but we got cut off, and I suspect he would have tried the same commands anyway.

About the most hopeful thing was when I asked one of the reps if they could give me a new product key. they said that if I ever moved my system to another machine and ran into an activation problem, as long as I have a Microsoft account that shows my machine under "devices" (which it does), I could call Microsoft and under those circumstances they would issue me a new product key.

Sounds assuring, but I'd like another opinion or confirmation. Has anyone actually had to deal with this? Is there anyone on the forum that works at Microsoft and can confirm this? Computers often seem to last forever these days, save the obvious problems like a HD or power-supply failure or surges (some of which you can prepare for). But machines do fail. And since neither Microsoft nor the amazon seller will give me a product key, I'd like to prepare for all possible calamities and at least know who to call and what to do. There are all kinds of facts and fiction on Google, but the best thing would be to know for sure that this could be handled.

Thanks for any help, and again sorry for all the questions.

:)

PeterPan2000, Feb 6, 2020

2. Windows 10 Product Key reactivation on new hardware

Hi guys

Sorry if this question seems repetitive but I need to know about reactivating a copy of W10 in a future system.

Basically from time to time I would build a new computer for myself, its mostly big changes to both hardware and even the case designs etc.

After upgrading my hardware I use my genuine retail copy of Windows 8.1 and it gets reactivated on the new system etc.

If any old hardware is reused to build a different system a new version of Windows will be reinstalled rather than my copy etc.

If the W10 product keys are stored to my account and say in 2 years I make big changes to my hardware, will I still have my copy of W10 and will it reactivate to a new system or what way does it work?

Also is there an ISO file of W10 available to download? In case of reinstallations and the like.

Thanks

AaronElliott, Feb 6, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Product Key

Hi Oscar,

Since the laptop has no battery compartment wherein the product key is usually located, we recommend that you follow these steps to find your Windows product key:

• Press Windows + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter this command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and hit Enter.

Also, if you're looking to reinstall Windows 10 after a hardware replacement, we recommend that you follow the steps provided in this

article

Let us know if performing these steps resolved the issue.

Dennis Mop, Feb 6, 2020
  4. reactivating windows 10 on new hardware, without "proper" product key

Uninstall (delete, remove) the Windows 10 digital license from old hardware, after reactivating it on new (similar) hardware, after hardware change

If you followed all of the steps in
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and deleted the old install then there's nothing else that needs to be done.

I've not yet seen a case where Digital Entitlement activation is removed from a device. Even Devices that Upgrade to Pro, and/or use a retail Windows 10 Product Key to reactivate on the same device, still keep both Home and Pro Entitlement stacked on the
    device along with the retail Key until it is removed by reactivating on a new Device. But unlike retail Product keys which remove themselves in this way from the old device once reactivated on new hardware, there's no evidence yet that Digital Entitlement
    does.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Feb 6, 2020
Thema:

reactivating windows 10 on new hardware, without "proper" product key

1. reactivating windows 10 on new hardware, without "proper" product key - Similar Threads - reactivating hardware without

2. How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?: I upgraded the computer that I run windows on. After the upgrade I installed a new copy of windows, I am trying to migrate the old product key from one computer to another, my old computer to the new computer, and what I have found online is that I need to get the product key...
  3. How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?: I upgraded the computer that I run windows on. After the upgrade I installed a new copy of windows, I am trying to migrate the old product key from one computer to another, my old computer to the new computer, and what I have found online is that I need to get the product key...
  4. How to reactivate windows after a hardware change without the original product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Reactivating Windows 10 on new hardware

Reactivating Windows 10 on new hardware: So I recently got new hardware for my PC and it deactivated windows 10. I tried following the steps to reactivate it through the troubleshooting, but it keeps telling me that the Microsoft servers are experiencing difficulty and to try again later. If anyone knows how to fix...
  6. Reactivating Windows 10 on new hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating Windows 10 on new hardware: So I recently got new hardware for my PC and it deactivated windows 10. I tried following the steps to reactivate it through the troubleshooting, but it keeps telling me that the Microsoft servers are experiencing difficulty and to try again later. If anyone knows how to fix...
  7. Reactivating Windows 10 on new hardware

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Activating Windows 10 on new hardware without a product key

Activating Windows 10 on new hardware without a product key: The motherboard has failed on my PC. Is it possible to activate Windows 10 Pro again after replacing the motherboard? I do not know my product key and I formatted the system disk when attempting to reinstall Windows....
  9. Reactivate Windows 10 - New Hardware

Reactivate Windows 10 - New Hardware: I got a new motherboard for my computer, and now I need to reactivate Windows. It was an upgrade from Windows 8 years ago, and everything I find says it should be linked to my Microsoft account. However, activation troubleshooting says it can't activate, and to make sure I am...
  10. Windows 10 reactivation on new hardware

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 reactivation on new hardware: Built my own PC earlier this year, purchased Windows 10 on the Windows store. I installed Windows on this PC through a boot USB using my old laptop. I have order number and exact date of purchase. Upgraded to a new CPU/Motherboard on 29 November 2019. Ran just fine until...