Windows 10: Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard

Discus and support Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; My old motherboard had a corrupted bios and I had to buy a new one. This was a system malfunction I didn't prepare for of course. Now Windows 10 is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by JackOFC, Feb 24, 2019.

1. JackOFC Win User

Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard

My old motherboard had a corrupted bios and I had to buy a new one. This was a system malfunction I didn't prepare for of course.

Now Windows 10 is telling me that my copy is not genuine (when in fact it is). I have followed all the steps on the support page for this issue.

I cannot afford to pay for Windows again, this is extremely frustrating. What should I do to get this resolved?

:)

JackOFC, Feb 24, 2019
  2. WhyMe Win User

New Motherboard and Reactivation

I **think** that if you are replacing a broken motherboard with an identical replacement then you have a good chance of successfully re-activating your current Win10 installation

Once you have installed your new identical motherboard to replace the broken one I recommend you do the following:
    • Speak to a Microsoft Activation Customer Service Representative on the phone.
    • You will be able to get the phone number via the activation screen in "Settings"
    • Clearly state that the motherboard used to initially activate Windows 10 had failed and needed to replaced
    • Clearly state that this is a repair and not an upgrade
    • Clearly state that you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical like-for-like replacement (same make and model)
    • Clearly state again that this is definitely not an upgrade of your existing hardware

FYI, I have successfully re-activated previous versions of Windows after replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model. I used the method to ensure success.

If you are not 100% clear in the way you are expressing your self then you may not be successful. ie They will not re-activate if they believe you performed a major hardware upgrade

Good luck.

WhyMe, Feb 24, 2019
  3. Reactivating Windows 10 with new motherboard

Plugging it into the new motherboard should be enough, but create a recovery drive in case you need to perform a startup repair:

The fact that you don't have a license key concerns me. If Windows 10 came preinstalled on your computer, you can't transfer it to a new computer or motherboard. You will need to purchase an entirely new license.

Learn more about transferring licenses:

Andre Da Costa, Feb 24, 2019
  4. Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard

win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, Feb 24, 2019
Thema:

Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard

1. Reactivating Windows after a new motherboard - Similar Threads - Reactivating motherboard

2. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update: i recently updated my motherboards BIOS and after that my pc says that windows is not activated. i had upgraded from windows 7 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reactivate-windows-after-motherboard-update/a93ba7cf-61b3-4e71-9755-fc2c6c01fca6
  3. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update: i recently updated my motherboards BIOS and after that my pc says that windows is not activated. i had upgraded from windows 7 to 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-reactivate-windows-after-motherboard-update/a93ba7cf-61b3-4e71-9755-fc2c6c01fca6
  4. cannot reactivate windows after motherboard update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...: Hi thereI just upgraded to a shiny new motherboard and took the opportunity to also move to a larger and faster NVMe hard drive at the same time.I finally got it up and running last night; but I forgot to deactivate my Windows 11 Pro license key on the old setup...
  6. How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...

How do I reactive my Windows 11 Pro digital license after changing to a new motherboard and...: Hi thereI just upgraded to a shiny new motherboard and took the opportunity to also move to a larger and faster NVMe hard drive at the same time.I finally got it up and running last night; but I forgot to deactivate my Windows 11 Pro license key on the old setup...
  7. I have installed a new motherboard, and canť now reactivate windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have installed a new motherboard, and canť now reactivate windows 11: I have curently installed my C: M.2 SSD disk with windows on it on to a new motherboard, however after about 4 or 5 days the system prompted me to reactivate the windows licence. I have upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I have legally baught from official sources, and still...
  8. I have installed a new motherboard, and canť now reactivate windows 11

I have installed a new motherboard, and canť now reactivate windows 11: I have curently installed my C: M.2 SSD disk with windows on it on to a new motherboard, however after about 4 or 5 days the system prompted me to reactivate the windows licence. I have upgraded from Windows 10 Pro, which I have legally baught from official sources, and still...
  9. Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...: Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on my PC. I have an OEM:DM type licence according to the script?...
  10. Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on...: Will I need to reactivate my windows 10 licence if I upgrade my CPU motherboard and RAM on my PC. I have an OEM:DM type licence according to the script?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. reactivate digital license on new motherboard

2. motherboard