Windows 10: reactivating windows after hardware change...

Discus and support reactivating windows after hardware change... in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; So recently i have upgraded my computer from a prebuilt to a custom built. I kept some parts from the old computer such as the hard drive and graphics... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Alexsech, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Alexsech Win User

reactivating windows after hardware change...

So recently i have upgraded my computer from a prebuilt to a custom built. I kept some parts from the old computer such as the hard drive and graphics card. When i try to reactivate windows after trouble shooting and selecting a device, an error comes up and says "could not activate windows on this device try again later." what should i do?

:)

Alexsech, Feb 16, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

Windows 10 reactivation on hardware changes

Hi Florea,

It is possible that Windows won't be able to identify your computer correctly that is why the operating system is not activated. To address your issue, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article on how to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rose Cal, Feb 16, 2019
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to activate Windows after hardware change

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Usually the error code 0xC004F213 comes when there is a hardware change done on the computer (like Motherboard or Hard drive). The Windows license is associated with the device hardware. If there is any significant hardware changes, such as replacing
    motherboard or hard drive, Windows won’t be able to recognize the license.

I suggest you to try the troubleshooting steps from the article
    Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change
    and see if Windows gets activated.

If you are using an OEM computer that came with Windows 7, and the motherboard has not been changed, then you can follow the steps to retrieve the product key that came with your OEM computer. To retrieve the product key follow the steps mentioned
    below:

1. Type Command prompt in the search bar, that is on the taskbar.
    2. Right click on Command prompt icon and select Run as administrator.
    3. Type the command and press on Enter: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
    4. You will find the product key.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 16, 2019
  4. timo0n Win User

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

Before changing my MB and CPU I thoroughly read an article on how to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change. I connected my activated Windows 10 that I bought from a retailer (so it's not a free upgrade) to a Microsoft account, changed hardware, went
    to settings-account-troubleshooting and was surprised buy it saying "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available right now. Wait for a few minutes or try adding your Microsoft account again.". It's been more than couple of hours
    since I tried it for the first time and I don't really believe that Microsoft servers can have that much downtime. So what is my next step now?

timo0n, Feb 16, 2019
Thema:

1. reactivating windows after hardware change... - Similar Threads - reactivating hardware change

2. Reactivation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivation after hardware change: Hello. before I changed my pc parts, I linked my device with my microsoft account. Now when I try to use the feature "reactivation after hardware change", it says:"Unable to activate Windows. We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for...
  3. Reactivation after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reactivation after hardware change: Hello. before I changed my pc parts, I linked my device with my microsoft account. Now when I try to use the feature "reactivation after hardware change", it says:"Unable to activate Windows. We can’t find any devices linked to your Microsoft account that can be used for...
  4. Reactivation after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivation after a hardware change: Both my son and I have computers running Windows 10, activated by digital licenses linked to our Microsoft accounts. It happened that my motherboard was destroyed, apparently by a power source failure. Since my son needs a more powerful computer than I do, it would be more...
  5. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: I recently upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM on my computer, and replaced my HDD with an SDD a few weeks earlier. Since the latest change, I see a watermark on my screen telling me to activate windows. When I try the troubleshooter and tell it I upgraded the hardware, it...
  6. Reactivation after a hardware change

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reactivation after a hardware change: Hello first of all. I had to change because the old one went bad. Last night everything worked perfectly, this morning as well. Had to do a restart and all of a sudden get a message that my Windows isn't Activated, getting this error code: 0xC004F213. I go through the...
  7. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: Hello, I have the 0xC004F213 error when I want to activate my product. I recently build a new PC because my old one died and thats waht I get. I don't have a product key, I've bought that almost 5 years ago and it's just lost. Is there any possibilty to reactivate it?...
  8. Reactivation after hardware change

Reactivation after hardware change: Hello, I changed hardware(Motherboard and CPU) and want to reactivate windows but it wont work. I do have a retail version and made sure my account was linked to my digital license so as to avoid any issues for reactivation. I tried to contact Microsoft support twice to...
  9. reactivation after hardware change

reactivation after hardware change: I had to basicaly rebuild my pc after it broke so pretty much a new system. I tried reactivating it and went through the troubleshooter but it won't reactivate is ther anything else i coud try?...
  10. Reactivating after a hardware change

Reactivating after a hardware change: just upgraded my motherboard and processer and now I cant reactivate windows jus get the following message error code 0xc004c003 Unable to activate Windows We can’t reactivate Windows on this device. Try again later. anyone know what I need to do to fix this...