Windows 10: Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange

Discus and support Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I recently changed my motherboard and my windows 10 pro needs to be reactivated. I've had a windows 7 before which I upgraded for free to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by flaviosbaraujo, May 12, 2019.

1. Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange

Hello,

I recently changed my motherboard and my windows 10 pro needs to be reactivated.

I've had a windows 7 before which I upgraded for free to the windows 10.

I followed the steps on the troubleshooting which finds my device:

Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange 50101f53-dc72-409a-8ba9-ecf4fce2bfc6?upload=true.png

However after selecting it, it doesn't work:

Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange 15e12aab-37ed-4d79-8f7c-3e4b0dca18ee?upload=true.png

Any one has had the same kind of problem?

Thank you for the help.

PS: On my Microsoft account the PC seems to be fine.

Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange 01fd9764-2160-489c-8f63-ba7599165b05?upload=true.png

:)

flaviosbaraujo, May 12, 2019

2. win 10 motherboard change, reactivating windows

Hi Famie,

If you are planning to change your motherboard, you will still be able to activate your Windows 10. In Windows 10 version 1607, there is a feature that you can link your Microsoft account to Windows 10 digital license on your device.
    This can help you reactivate Windows using the Activation troubleshooter if you make a significant hardware change later, such as replacing the motherboard.

That being said, we suggest that you follow the steps given on this article
    to reactivate your Windows 10 after a hardware change.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

If you think this was useful, do not hesitate to "mark it as an answer" to help those are facing the same problem.

Janeane Cru, May 12, 2019
  3. WhyMe Win User
    New Motherboard and Reactivation

I **think** that if you are replacing a broken motherboard with an identical replacement then you have a good chance of successfully re-activating your current Win10 installation

Once you have installed your new identical motherboard to replace the broken one I recommend you do the following:
    • Speak to a Microsoft Activation Customer Service Representative on the phone.
    • You will be able to get the phone number via the activation screen in "Settings"
    • Clearly state that the motherboard used to initially activate Windows 10 had failed and needed to replaced
    • Clearly state that this is a repair and not an upgrade
    • Clearly state that you are replacing a defective motherboard with an identical like-for-like replacement (same make and model)
    • Clearly state again that this is definitely not an upgrade of your existing hardware

FYI, I have successfully re-activated previous versions of Windows after replacing a broken motherboard with an identical make and model. I used the method to ensure success.

If you are not 100% clear in the way you are expressing your self then you may not be successful. ie They will not re-activate if they believe you performed a major hardware upgrade

Good luck.

WhyMe, May 12, 2019
  4. Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange

Motherboard change unable to reactivate Windows 10 Pro -

I have searched this topic and everything seems to be almost a year old. This is a homebuilt machine circa 2015. It started with an ASUS FM2+ motherboard with an AMD A5600K processor. It was Windows 7 Pro, upgraded to Windows 8.1 Pro then to Windows 10 Pro.
    Saturday the motherboard died. An exact replacement could not be located so a Gigabyte card was installed. No changes to the hard drives. Booted the machine and Windows automatically started and then did a "revert" then installed the latest updates. C Drive was in the red so I deleted all of the old install files using Windows Clean-up. Went to reactivate, checked the significant hardware change and entered my MS account information - The computer (none of my computers) were listed and now it is telling me that I have to spend $200 to buy a copy of Windows 10 Pro.
    Have not yet called Customer Support as the computer is at home and I work during the day -
    I do have a disk image or two that may be a year old -

Suggestions - should I just shell out the $200 and move on

TIA

Mickey53usa, May 12, 2019
Thema:

Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange

1. Reactivating windows after motherboard exchange - Similar Threads - Reactivating motherboard exchange

2. Reactivating windows after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reactivating windows after motherboard change.: I changed my motherboard on my prebuild computer I bought last year it was already activated with windows 10 home but now I upgraded the motherboard it says it isnt activated and I dont have the product key....
  3. Reactivating windows after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reactivating windows after motherboard change.: I changed my motherboard on my prebuild computer I bought last year it was already activated with windows 10 home but now I upgraded the motherboard it says it isnt activated and I dont have the product key....
  4. Reactivating windows after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reactivate after changing motherboard

Reactivate after changing motherboard: Hello all,I'm unable to activate my windows 10 pro after changing my motherboard, I had bought it in early 2020 and I lost the activation code.. When I tried to reactivate it through troubleshoot I'm getting this errorWe can't activate windows now due to not connecting to...
  6. Reactivating Windows after motherboard change.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Reactivating Windows after motherboard change.: Hi, I recently changed my motherboard, and the built in troubleshooter, when I press the "I recently changed hardware on this device" button it just says that it can't reach the Microsoft servers (It has been saying it for a while now". Also I don't know if this helps but...
  7. Reactivating windows after motherboard change

Reactivating windows after motherboard change: my original pc was a second hand dell OptiPlex 7010, ordered off amazon with a pre installed version of windows 10 pro. I was not given the key number from this pc. I recently changed my motherboard and now longer have windows activated. is there any way I can transfer that...
  8. Reactivating Windows after replacing motherboard

Reactivating Windows after replacing motherboard: Some backstory before I start- Back in June of 2018 I bought a prebuilt Cyberpower pc. After 2 years the motherboard died, so I replaced it. After booting it up, I have a little thing in the bottom right hand corner of my screen that says, "Activate Windows. Go to Settings to...
  9. reactivation after change of motherboard

reactivation after change of motherboard: my last windows 10 pro was a digital license. I don't know how to reactivate after change of motherboard. I have still with me the genuine windows 7 license. I don't know what to do. kindly help me....
  10. Reactivating Windows After Swapping Motherboard

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reactivating Windows After Swapping Motherboard: I need to swap motherboards, and I was wondering how I go about transferring my current windows 10 license to my new computer - I don't have access to the license key, however the desktop is registered to my Microsoft account. I don't currently have access to the desktop,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. office 2019 needs reactivating after swapping motherboard