Windows 10: Reactivating Windows (digital license) after major hardware change

Discus and support Reactivating Windows (digital license) after major hardware change in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Will I be able to reactivate Windows 10 (that I got through upgrading Win 8) if I change most of my laptop hardware - motherboard, CPU, etc (I had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by PerryM1, Oct 7, 2019.

1. PerryM1 Win User

Reactivating Windows (digital license) after major hardware change

Will I be able to reactivate Windows 10 (that I got through upgrading Win 8) if I change most of my laptop hardware - motherboard, CPU, etc (I had liquid damage). Essentially I'd change out most of my hardware through a used donor laptop of same model.

I had connected my digital Windows license to my Microsoft account, but I can't obtain the product key since it was upgraded from Win 8.

:)

PerryM1, Oct 7, 2019

2. Uninstall (delete, remove) the Windows 10 digital license from old hardware, after reactivating it on new (similar) hardware, after hardware change

Hi,

I recently was able to reactivate my Windows 10 digital license on new (only on similar, same type laptop to laptop) hardware, by linking my Microsoft account. I followed the steps mentoned in

Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

I find that the old hardware, still has an activated digital license of Windows.

I need to uninstall the digital license from the old hardware, in such a way that it will not activate, on its own, and will not invalidate the digital license on my new hardware, at all.

Please advice me, as I would like to transfer my digital license to my new hardware, completely, and permanently. I require my old hardware to not be having the digital license, at all, and the digital license to be completely deleted from it.

Vikram S Ramani, Oct 7, 2019
  3. Can't reactivate a digital windows linsence after a hardware change

What I find frustrating is that the 2nd link from Microsoft directly contradicts itself.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

First it says: When installing Windows 10, the digital license associates itself with your device's hardware. So, if you make significant changes, such as replacing your motherboard, Windows will no longer find a license that matches
    your computer.

Then halfway down it says: If you previously linked your Microsoft account to your digital license, you can use the Activation troubleshooter to help reactivate
    Windows after a significant hardware change.

I linked my Microsoft account with my digital license a year ago when I built my PC cause I had issues with the ports on my old motherboard and knew I would be swapping
    it out at some point. I wanted to take the necessary steps before doing so.

Adreatheon, Oct 7, 2019
  4. Reactivating Windows (digital license) after major hardware change

reactivate windows 10 digital license

Trying to reactivate windows 10 digital license after hardware change and it keeps saying "We can't reactivate Windows as our servers aren't available right now. Wait for a few minutes or try adding your Microsoft account again. "

I linked the account to the digital license before hardware changes.

I checked windows license before change and it said it was retail version.

Is there a reason it keeps saying the servers are busy? I can still log into my account.

homeless195, Oct 7, 2019
Thema:

Reactivating Windows (digital license) after major hardware change

1. Reactivating Windows (digital license) after major hardware change - Similar Threads - Reactivating digital license

2. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to reactivate Windows 10 digital license after hardware change: Good afternoon,Back in 2018 I bought a retail Windows 10 Professional license on the Microsoft Store and linked it to my Microsoft account. At the end of June this year I replaced most of the PC except the hard drive which has Windows installed. However even though the...
  3. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to reactivate Windows 10 digital license after hardware change: Good afternoon,Back in 2018 I bought a retail Windows 10 Professional license on the Microsoft Store and linked it to my Microsoft account. At the end of June this year I replaced most of the PC except the hard drive which has Windows installed. However even though the...
  4. Unable to reactivate Windows 10 digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change: tried the troubleshoot in the activation settings and signed in to my account with windows digital license and the next page tells me no devices found???I used a local account before I changed the hardware, but the digital license should be tied to my email address since I...
  6. Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change: tried the troubleshoot in the activation settings and signed in to my account with windows digital license and the next page tells me no devices found???I used a local account before I changed the hardware, but the digital license should be tied to my email address since I...
  7. Can't reactivate windows with digital license after hardware change

8. unable to reactivate digital license after hardware change

unable to reactivate digital license after hardware change: Purchased windows10 pro back in 2016 from MS OneStore. Motherboard failed two days ago and I had to replace it. When trying to activate my license troubleshooter says Error Code 0xC004F213.After calling MS support, I was told I have to call back during "normal business...
  9. How to reactivate with digital license after hardware change

How to reactivate with digital license after hardware change: I built my computer back in 2013 and bought a windows 7 professional license for it. At some point I used the free update to windows 10. Recently I decided to upgrade to a Ryzen 7 from my old Intel cpu. I followed the walkthrough here...
  10. Windows 10 reactivation with digital license after hardware change

Windows 10 reactivation with digital license after hardware change: I was under the impression that having linked your Microsoft account with your old hardware to have the digital license linked you could activate windows 10 on the new hardware, was I wrong? I don't have my windows 7 key anymore since i got that from my school a while ago but...