Windows 10: Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD

Discus and support Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I migrated to Windows 10 from 8.1 during Windows Insider Program's first days and kept getting updates from Update section till now.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MojtabaArmstrong, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD

Hi everyone, I migrated to Windows 10 from 8.1 during Windows Insider Program's first days and kept getting updates from Update section till now. Recently I found my PC not working fast enough and I decided to buy a new SSD hard drive and reinstall my Windows on it. In the Activation section, it is written "Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account" My question is can I download and install any kind of Windows and reactive it by logging in to the same Microsoft account? In my country people don't often activate Windows and Windows software is sold on CDs for about 2$ (I meant this kind of Windows by "any kind"), but it's so important to me to have my Windows activated. Please help if you can.

:)

MojtabaArmstrong, Jul 3, 2019

2. SSD and HDD

I have a SSD and an internal HDD. I want my docs , scans, pitctures to automatically save to my HDD instead of dragging it later. Or rather I should have the choice of saving it to my SSD or HDD

Leslie1956, Jul 3, 2019
  3. Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Jul 3, 2019
  4. Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD

Does Windows 10 automatically recognise that a SSD has replaced a HDD?

I have recently replaced the HDD in my Windows 10 laptop with a SSD. As I understand it, Windows periodically runs a defragmentation in the background on a HDD. However, SSD drives do not require defragmenting and running such a tool can shorten the life
    of a SSD.

The SSD was a clone of the HDD and not a new installation. Will Windows 10 recognize that the laptop now has a SSD and stop its background defragmentation or do I need to take specific steps to prevent this activity occurring on the SSD? If I need to take
    action please advise on the steps I should take.

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

Grangeland, Jul 3, 2019
Thema:

Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD

1. Reactiving Windows on SSD instead of HDD - Similar Threads - Reactiving SSD instead

2. My PC keeps prioritizing HDD instead of SSD.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC keeps prioritizing HDD instead of SSD.: Hello,Few months ago my reading and writing speed was running fine on big games I was using on Steam. When suddenly loading times and games crashed because of my HDD. I later found out that causing the problems was because of my SSD wasnt doing its job. I checked my folders...
  3. Windows defaults to old HDD instead of newly installed SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows defaults to old HDD instead of newly installed SSD: Hi, I switched out my old HDD Western Digital 750GB and installed a new SSD SanDisk 500GB into my Windows 10 i7 ASUS laptop. It worked a treat speeding up boot times from about 2 minutes to less than 15 seconds. Super! I decided to reuse the old HDD by removing the...
  4. Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Why is it saving to my ssd instead of my hdd: Whenever I save something on my pc, it saves to my ssd but I checked off that I want it to save to my hardrive in settings but whenever it saves to somewhere without asking, it saves to my ssd. please help me....
  5. Windows 10 reactivation changed HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 reactivation changed HDD to SSD: Hello, I just changed my storage from HDD to SDD and I used my old ISO copy of Windows 10 which I got from registering a reserved copy from an email I received from Microsoft a few years ago. I noticed Windows didn't automatically activate on my PC which is quite unusual. I...
  6. Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd

Setups automatically installing in ssd instead of hdd: I just clean wiped my pc yet it still has the issue where for example: steam setup is set on my SSD C: where it is supposed to automatically install in my HDD D:. it does this for practically every setup. HELP!...
  7. Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...

in Windows 10 Support
    Advice sought on uploading data to HDD instead of SSD...: I've just bought a new laptop that has both an SSD (256 Gb) and an HDD (1Tb). The first thing I did was to set up my internet connection, and I then installed all my old programs. I now want to upload all of my data (documents, music, videos, photos etc.) that I have saved...
  8. Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows upgrade 1809 installed on HDD instead of SSD: Hi, some months ago I added a 250GB SSD and cloned the OS and data to it from my HDD. (The BIOS was reset at that time to boot from the SSD.) All went well until the receipt of the 1809 version last week. I find that the Windows 10 Upgrade Folder on the SSD contains only some...
  9. debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd

debating on upgrading to a ssd instead of a standard hdd: I am debating if I want to upgrade this laptop to a ssd from a standard hdd. the main questions are will there be much of a performance increase with a ssd instead of a standard hdd, and if I do where do I get the product key to reinstall the windows 10 pro. it was upgraded...
  10. Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows installed on my HDD instead of my SSD?: Just downloaded Windows 10 and noticed both my "windows" folder and "old windows" folder are located in my HDD. How can I transfer windows 10 to my SSD? Windows 8 was originally on my SSD, I don't understand why it installed on my HDD. I'm not really a tech wiz but...