Windows 10: Read-only file permissions forced in Windows 10

Discus and support Read-only file permissions forced in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; My C: drive is a SSD and my main data drive is D: and is a 1 TB disk drive. Windows 10 forces read-only permissions on the folders in my D: drive, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by trippap, Aug 8, 2019.

1. trippap Win User

Read-only file permissions forced in Windows 10

My C: drive is a SSD and my main data drive is D: and is a 1 TB disk drive. Windows 10 forces read-only permissions on the folders in my D: drive, and I cannot change that. What the heck is going on, and how do I turn my data drive into a useful storage locations?

:)

trippap, Aug 8, 2019
  2. cdawall Win User

Windows 10 permissions...

Ok so I feel officially dumb I am trying to copy my steam library to my NAS. Both are on windows 10 pro and both have full control in the file manager. Neither windows nor fast copy will allow me to copy, both list a permissions error? This was never an issue with windows 7...so first off thank you microsoft god forbid I want to back up my data, second off what the heck do I need to do to make this work. All I could fine online was to set full control and that obviously didn't help.

Also robocopy doesn't apparently work with network locations?

cdawall, Aug 8, 2019
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Windows 10 permissions...

How is the NAS on windows 10 Pro? Is it software or a share? Did you check ntfs vs share permissions?

Solaris17, Aug 8, 2019
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Read-only file permissions forced in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Read file permissions

2. Windows 10 keeps resetting permissions to read-only.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 keeps resetting permissions to read-only.: This is driving me nuts, because a program I use needs to read from and write to files kept in "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming" and no matter how many times I reset the folder's permission by unchecking the "read only" box, the folder and its files keep reverting to...
  3. Windows 10 keeps resetting permissions to read-only.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 keeps resetting permissions to read-only.: This is driving me nuts, because a program I use needs to read from and write to files kept in "C:\Users\myname\AppData\Roaming" and no matter how many times I reset the folder's permission by unchecking the "read only" box, the folder and its files keep reverting to...
  4. Windows 10 keeps resetting permissions to read-only.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Permission in changing read only

Permission in changing read only: So, I just got xbox game pass and I want to install a mod in one of the games, but the directory of the game is in WindowsApps. Because of this, I have gone through and changed ownership permission so my user account has full control over all files and folders in WindowsApps....
  6. Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only

Cant change permissions of file because I'm read only: I want to delete a file in windowsapps but I cant change the permissions due the owner(me) having only read only permissions. I'm basically stuck with this file. For some reason this is the only file in windowsapps I have had do this....
  7. read only files

read only files: read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-files/e2f111ee-e6c7-426f-88d2-6421bfd62668"
  8. file read only

file read only: Hello, A folder is suddenly read only. I have tried changing it both as a user and administrator to no avail. Is there a procedure to correct this other than change the folder name? Thanks...
  9. "Read Only"/No permissions after Seagate Restore to Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    "Read Only"/No permissions after Seagate Restore to Windows 10: I would really appreciate some help if anyone is willing, or has encountered the same problem. Not particularly tech savy, just a 20-something wife/mom who can navigate around a PC pretty well. Background: I got a new laptop and had backed up my entire old laptop/hard...
  10. Win10 not asking for admin permissions and locking files in read-only.

in Windows 10 Support
    Win10 not asking for admin permissions and locking files in read-only.: Installing update for warframe, when it tell's me "missing file permissions" Look around and Win 10 is locking my folders in read-only. Try to change that and it says I need admin privileges. I click continue and the admin verification don't pop up. It does when I install...