Windows 10: read only + only applies for files in the folder

Discus and support read only + only applies for files in the folder in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Dears I am not able to remove the permission of read only from any folder from any folder on my windows 10 PC. i tried attrib command also but did... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by meninofernandes, Jun 27, 2020.

1. read only + only applies for files in the folder

Dears

I am not able to remove the permission of read only from any folder from any folder on my windows 10 PC.

i tried attrib command also but did not work

is this a bug with the latest updates

read only + only applies for files in the folder 80900f03-8d42-4c19-8106-385bdc0f539a?upload=true.jpg

:)

meninofernandes, Jun 27, 2020

2. Read only folder

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you for being part of Windows 10.

Before proceeding, we need more information to help you better.

• Do you want to change the permissions to certain program/folder?

• Have you signed in through Microsoft/Local account?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content.

Step 1: What is a read-only file or folder?

A read-only file is protected from accidental deletion and changes to its content. To change a file to read-only, right-click the file, and then click
    Properties. In the Properties dialog box, click the
    General tab, and then select the
    Read-only check box. To make changes to a read-only file, clear the
    Read-only check box, or save the file with a different name.

Step 2: Prevent changes to a file or folder (read-only)

Setting your important or personal files to read-only can help protect them from unintentional or unauthorized changes. When a file is set to read-only, it cannot be changed.

• Right-click the file or folder you want to set to read-only, and then click
      Properties.
    • Click the General tab, select the Read-only check box, and then click
      OK.
    If you need to make changes to the file or folder later, you can turn off the read-only setting by clearing the
    Read-only check box.

I hope the above information helps. Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with this issue. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Kiran Kishore, Jun 27, 2020
  3. Marie Ave Win User
    Remove read only from files

Hi,

Read-only is a file attribute, or a characteristic that the operating system assigns to a file. Files can be only opened or read with this attribute active. You cannot delete, change, or rename any file that’s been flagged as read-only.

To change the read-only attribute, follow the steps below:

• Right-click the file or folder icon that you wanted to modify.

• Remove the check mark by the Read-Only item in the file’s
      Properties
      dialog box.

The attributes are found at the bottom of the General tab.

• Click Apply then OK.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need further assistance.

Marie Ave, Jun 27, 2020
  4. AR_Win10 Win User

read only + only applies for files in the folder

Read only folder

On the following link you will hopefully find the solution, that should solve this nagging "Read-only" problem:

Don't be confused: the gentleman, who posted this video, wants to show how to delete a "read-only" folder, but these step-by step, clear instructions should help you in taking control of all folders and files in the system. I have successfully applied this
    process to all my Documents, Pictures and Videos folders. All subfolders and their file contents have become once more obeying all my commands, so to speak. read only + only applies for files in the folder :)

AR_Win10, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

read only + only applies for files in the folder

1. read only + only applies for files in the folder - Similar Threads - read applies files

2. Read Only Folders

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Read Only Folders: My folders have suddenly become marked as Read Only and I can't change it. In the Security tab all the permissions that have been allowed are checked, but grayed out. I haven't changed anything in regards to my system other than installing Windows updates. I'm running Windows...
  3. folders are read only

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  4. folders are read only

folders are read only: hello, I'm on windows 10 pro and I cant seem to find a way to remove the read only, I've tried as admin, cmd, etc.if someone can help me would me appreciated !! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/folders-are-read-only/7f8f773d-718c-42cf-835b-bffa74e59326
  5. read only folders

read only folders: I noticed all my folders are now read only. I went to Google and it seems many people have the same issue and are blaming the update on this. I am assuming an update caused this. Can you tell me about this and if MS plans to patch or fix this? [Windows 20H2 19042.867,...
  6. Accidentally applied unchecked 'read only' on user folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Accidentally applied unchecked 'read only' on user folder: Hi All, I wasn't keen on the truncated name given to my user folder by windows so was looking into renaming it which resulted in me accidentally applying an unchecked 'read only' to the folder. Windows then started altering a load of file permissions which I realised was...
  7. Read only folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Read only folders: Hi I am using windows 10 Home addition. And I am facing two problems. 1. My folders in laptop has become read-only. I have tried to un-check read-only from properties, and as well as from CMD prompt window by using Attrib -R +S\ command. But still no luck. for your...
  8. Read-only folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read-only folders: All folders on both computers on my home network have become read-only; the files within them are not showing as read-only, but cannot be amended due to the folder permissions. I have tried the solutions referenced on line using security permissions, allowing inheritance etc....
  9. read only folders

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    read only folders: Hi, Community, I have never done this before as there used to be a phone number that would give me access to an agent who would help. Cut backs, perhaps? Oh well. So, my question is: How do I get rid of the "read only" restrictions on photo folders, please? I have tried...
  10. Read-only file/folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Read-only file/folder properties: As a long-time user of Windows OS in all its iterations, what I'm going to ask y'all has me totally stumped. I've looked on-line for solutions but have not found anything definitive. I apologize if anything like what I'm going to describe has been asked/answered; I only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. read only applies to files in folder