Windows 10: Read only rights to media network drive

Discus and support Read only rights to media network drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have just upgraded to windows 10 from 7, on Windows 7 I set up a simple wireless media hard-drive via my router, simple plug and play. I could access... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by evilbane, Aug 8, 2015.

1. evilbane Win User

Read only rights to media network drive

I have just upgraded to windows 10 from 7, on Windows 7 I set up a simple wireless media hard-drive via my router, simple plug and play. I could access it by performing a network map and then double clicking on the "Super Router" I would then be prompted for the user account login details (I had already set this up via my router page). Once I logged in I had read and write access, I could play movies and music etc from it on any connected device in the house and add and delete anything on there.

I now find I only have read access to it, and when I double click on a movie file it begins to download it, not play it. I have removed the hard drive and reinstalled it, created a group share, checked that all network sharing options were correct. The drive is showing as a media drive, but I only seem to be able to read from it.

:)

evilbane, Aug 8, 2015
  2. Roharashraj™, Aug 8, 2015
  3. TimZubb Win User
    Windows 10 Network Drive is now Read Only

Didn't work. When I ran the update tool I got the following.

Read only rights to media network drive [​IMG]

TimZubb, Aug 8, 2015
  4. evilbane Win User

My drive is set up as a samba drive connected directly to my router, I can access it perfectly from windows 7 machines in the house and have read and write access, windows 10 only gives me read access. If I click on any of the movies files it begins to down load them rather than play them.

Any help please, I'm beginning to loose patience now and will return to windows 7 soon.

evilbane, Aug 14, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    I have a NAS attached to my Router as a simple storage drive, don't have an issue directly opening .flv videos from it in Win10 but I haven't had a need to check other formats. I don't have an actual .flv player yet but they opened fine in the Torch browser.

Berton, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Read only rights to media network drive - Similar Threads - Read rights media

2. Media Read Only Error in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media Read Only Error in Windows 11: Even after formatting in another PC with Windows-10 or XP the Removable USB Storage Disks Hard Disk or Pen Drive unable to Create Directories or Format in Windows-11-Pro OS. This Error is encountered in Windows-11 only, while the same device works fine with Windows XP or...
  3. Media Read Only Error in Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media Read Only Error in Windows 11: Even after formatting in another PC with Windows-10 or XP the Removable USB Storage Disks Hard Disk or Pen Drive unable to Create Directories or Format in Windows-11-Pro OS. This Error is encountered in Windows-11 only, while the same device works fine with Windows XP or...
  4. Network Drive Issue - Read only via mapped drive, yet Read/Write if access same shared...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network Drive Issue - Read only via mapped drive, yet Read/Write if access same shared...: Hi,To elaborate on the above question.Two windows 11 pro machines PC 1 & PC 2 connected to routerInitially, the two computers could not access each other on the network, something to do with setting up accounts with pins, and this was covered, and resolved here:-...
  5. Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected": hi I have a problem, my SSD Drive D: suddenly can't be edited, I can't delete files, add folders, I can only access folders that are already there. I've tried several solutions on google but they haven't worked. the solution i tried like "diskpart -> list disk -> select disk...
  6. Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cant change the "This Drive is read only" or "this media is write protected": hi I have a problem, my SSD Drive D: suddenly can't be edited, I can't delete files, add folders, I can only access folders that are already there. I've tried several solutions on google but they haven't worked. the solution i tried like "diskpart -> list disk -> select disk...
  7. HELP! Network drive is now Read-only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP! Network drive is now Read-only: I installed a network HDD to my ASUS Router via my old PC (Windows XP -- I know, I know) My new PC is Windows 10 Pro (v1909) and accessing files on the Drive is read-only; I can't copy/paste or edit any files. Drive has no access issue from my wife's Mac or my old PC. I've...
  8. Network Drive opens as Media Device only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Drive opens as Media Device only: *I'm sure this is an answered question. a link will suffice. thanks. I'm banging my head on the desk to some degree; I have followed all of the official steps to share a drive on the network (sans 'home group'), PC#1 shares a drive, and PC#2 can see it, and open it. But only...
  9. Drives Marked Read Only

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Drives Marked Read Only: I have several hard drives on my PCs; some are physical, some are partitions. In every PC I've upgraded, W10 marks these as RO. I go through the ritual of setting permissions to Full and marking RW, but occasionally a drive will revert to RO. I can't find a Take Ownership...
  10. DVD Drive, not reading any Media

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD Drive, not reading any Media: This has been going on for a while but neither of my DVD internal drives are reading any DVD or CD There both TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-223L they use to run everything and burn everything. some how neither will read any disk? any ideas both are reconsied as DVDRW drives in...