Windows 10: Read-Only SD Card

Discus and support Read-Only SD Card in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have been all over Google and Reddit and can't get an answer to this that actually works. I find the exact same solutions over and over again and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Gamendorf, Dec 21, 2020.

1. Read-Only SD Card

I have been all over Google and Reddit and can't get an answer to this that actually works. I find the exact same solutions over and over again and none of them work. I would love it if someone could give me some new alternatives or point me to a resource that can guide me through it.

I want to format my SD card, but it is listed as read-only. I have done the following:

1. Make sure the slider is in the unlocked position (actually, this is a micro SD card and the issue happens with and without an adapter)
    2. Diskpart ->select disk 1->clean results in an I/O device error
    3. Diskpart -> select disk 1->attributes disk clear readonly results in "Disk attributes cleared successfully, but the clean command still gives an I/O error.
    4. Created the registry QWord HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies\WriteProtect and set it to 0.
    5. MiniTool shows it as ReadOnly, and therefor all of the format options are greyed out.
    submitted by /u/Gamendorf
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Gamendorf, Dec 21, 2020
  2. Joe Men Win User

Phone is not reading the SD card.

Hello,
    Jeevan

Thank you for posting your query to Microsoft Community. We understand that you Lumia 640 XL LTE is having issues reading your SD memory card.

There is a possibility that the SD memory card corrupted. Please try to perform a Scan Disk maintenance on it by following the steps below:

• Turn off your phone and remove the SD card. Use a SD card reader and plug it in to your computer.
    • Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.
    • Right-click the SD card drive that you want to check, and then click "Properties".
    • Click the "Tools" tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now.
    • Put a check mark on the "Automatically fix the file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".
    • Click Start.
      • Wait for the Scan Disk process to complete, then mount your SD memory card back to your phone.
    Hope this helps.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Joe Men, Dec 21, 2020
  3. Cant read the SD card

Hello,

Oftentimes, a corrupted device can result to issues in reading your SD card. For us to isolate the case further and determine the appropriate resolution, provide answers to the following questions:

• Have you checked if other external devices/accessories are properly detected on your device?
    • Can you confirm if the SD card is being detected on another device aside from the one that you're using?
    • What procedures have you taken so far?

As an initial troubleshooting, we suggest that you run the Hardware and Devices Troubleshooter by following these steps:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Choose Troubleshooting.
    • Click on View All option on the left pane.
    • Click on Hardware and Devices and follow the prompt to run the troubleshooter.

This tool checks the hardware connected to your computer for common issues and gives details on how to rectify them. If there are any suggestions given by the troubleshooter, you may try those and check if it helps.

We will wait for your response so we can help you further with this issue.

Dhavelyn Mer, Dec 21, 2020
  4. Sandy JUL Win User

Read-Only SD Card

Windows 10 not reading SD card

Windows 10 will not read my SD cards. I have tried updating the drivers and other suggestions to no avail. I also have a small SD card that needs an adapter and plugs into a usb port. It doesn't read this either.

Sandy JUL, Dec 21, 2020
Thema:

Read-Only SD Card

1. Read-Only SD Card - Similar Threads - Read Card

2. Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ?: Hey there, if anyone can answer me it would be greatly appreciated.Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-a-sd-card-memory-reader-also-successfully-read/b47399a7-4ab3-4304-8749-20598f4a5814
  3. Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ?: Hey there, if anyone can answer me it would be greatly appreciated.Can a SD card memory reader also successfully read a sdhc card ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-a-sd-card-memory-reader-also-successfully-read/b47399a7-4ab3-4304-8749-20598f4a5814
  4. Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest: We are using Windows 10 as a Hyper-V guest, and have Windows 10 as a Hyper-V Guest. There is a standard Smart Card reader attached to the physical hostomnikey card reader , but we can not get the smart card to be read from the Hyper-V Guest.Does anybody have any experience or...
  5. Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest: We are using Windows 10 as a Hyper-V guest, and have Windows 10 as a Hyper-V Guest. There is a standard Smart Card reader attached to the physical hostomnikey card reader , but we can not get the smart card to be read from the Hyper-V Guest.Does anybody have any experience or...
  6. Read Smart Card from Hyper-V Guest

7. Hp ZBook 15 G3 Windows 11 pro not reading SD card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hp ZBook 15 G3 Windows 11 pro not reading SD card: Hp ZBook 15 G3 Windows 11 pro not reading SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-zbook-15-g3-windows-11-pro-not-reading-sd-card/045467f5-fb0a-4aab-a6f7-e1c93cb9bafa
  8. Hp ZBook 15 G3 Windows 11 pro not reading SD card

Hp ZBook 15 G3 Windows 11 pro not reading SD card: Hp ZBook 15 G3 Windows 11 pro not reading SD card https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hp-zbook-15-g3-windows-11-pro-not-reading-sd-card/045467f5-fb0a-4aab-a6f7-e1c93cb9bafa
  9. Can someone read a few minidumps? Video card suspected

Can someone read a few minidumps? Video card suspected: Greetings,I wondered if anyone would be so kind as to read a few minidumps that were created today.I uninstalled all graphics drivers Nvidia & Intel & reinstalled drivers. I also cleaned up files, but the computer crashed afterward when I unplugged a HDMI cable, also when I...
  10. Can someone read a few minidumps? Video card suspected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can someone read a few minidumps? Video card suspected: Greetings,I wondered if anyone would be so kind as to read a few minidumps that were created today.I uninstalled all graphics drivers Nvidia & Intel & reinstalled drivers. I also cleaned up files, but the computer crashed afterward when I unplugged a HDMI cable, also when I...