Windows 10: Reading files from old Windows 10 SSD

Discus and support Reading files from old Windows 10 SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My old Win10 PC died recently. I have an entire new Win10 PC now. I've removed the old SSD and hooked it up to a USB adapter, making it appear on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by STRESSED, Mar 28, 2020.

1. STRESSED Win User

Reading files from old Windows 10 SSD

My old Win10 PC died recently. I have an entire new Win10 PC now. I've removed the old SSD and hooked it up to a USB adapter, making it appear on the new PC as a drive.

My goal is simply to copy the entire contents of the old Windows SSD onto my new PC, just so I can access files/settings/etc. However, NTFS ownership and permissions are getting in the way. I know how to overcome this by taking ownership and adding permission, but I am afraid of messing up the file system for later use. (I'd like to look into getting the old PC repaired, and continuing to use it.)

To be clear, I'm not intending to restore the old copy of Windows over my current; I just want to access the old applications, files, etc.--everything, and long-term.

Is there a way to copy everything without messing up NTFS ownership/permissions? I guess using an imaging utility to create and then restore an image would work--that way I'd have a copy to work on. Is there a more direct method?

I saw the article on backing up and restoring NTFS permissions, but that doesn't cover NTFS ownership attributes.

:)

STRESSED, Mar 28, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 28, 2020
  3. file explorer and reading list on windows 10

Hi Colinus,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest on windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you faced. We certainly help you with this issue. I want to inform you it is temporary issue it will short out immediately there is no need to go back in previous operating system.
    I need more information about this issue so that I can assist you better.

1. Are you referring to reading list app?

If you are using reading list app so I would suggest you to run windows app troubleshooter to fix issue.

Follow the below steps.

• Go to control panel and select troubleshooting then in top left corner of your screen select view all.

• Click on windows store app and click on it and run it.
    I want to inform you. You can sort, group, and arrange items in a folder or library view by an added column (detail) in ascending or descending order in windows 10 file explorer.

for more information follow the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/files-folders-windows-explorer

Note: It is also applicable for windows 10 as well.

Try these steps and let us know the status of the issue so that we can assist you better.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Mar 28, 2020
  4. theonedub Win User

DOWNLOAD WINDOWS 10 NOW - Upgrade and ISO direct from microsoft

No its built into Windows, just open disk cleanup and select 'Clean up system Files' button on the bottom left- now you'll see previous installs of Windows listed under list of cleanable items. My old install is a whopping 25GB of my 256GB SSD.

theonedub, Mar 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Reading files from old Windows 10 SSD - Similar Threads - Reading files old

2. Files from Desktop and documents not visible in Old SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files from Desktop and documents not visible in Old SSD: So I recently got a new laptop and I removed my OLD ssd from previous laptop because It had many files stored in desktop ad download folder which I thought I will copy to my new laptop. I got an external SSD case and connected the ssd but I cant find any desktop and documents...
  3. Files from Desktop and documents not visible in Old SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files from Desktop and documents not visible in Old SSD: So I recently got a new laptop and I removed my OLD ssd from previous laptop because It had many files stored in desktop ad download folder which I thought I will copy to my new laptop. I got an external SSD case and connected the ssd but I cant find any desktop and documents...
  4. boot from an old-laptop SSD and read out the files in WSL

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    boot from an old-laptop SSD and read out the files in WSL: Hi everyone,My laptop was broken but the SSD survived and I can read out all files in the SSD. However, I wish to obtain the codes inside the WSL, which I found out to be non-trivial. So my problem could be addressed in two ways. 1. If there is a way to open the WSL from the...
  5. Upgrading to Windows Pro from an old SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading to Windows Pro from an old SSD.: I bought a laptop a few months ago after my desktop's stopped working and it is now collecting dust. Now I want to use one of Windows Pro features because of the limiting factor of Home edition.I figured I wanted to upgrade the laptop from Windows Home to Windows Pro edition...
  6. Move windows from old SSD to new.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Move windows from old SSD to new.: I have bought a new SSD and I want my windows located in it. I have 2 SSD's in my pc and I want to swap my small one for the new. The thing is I have windows in the small one and the other SSD cannot fit windows, so I don't know how to move windows to an SSD that is not...
  7. Files On Old SSD Missing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Files On Old SSD Missing: I recently upgraded to a new PC. I decided to pull the SSD that I had put in my laptop and see if I left anything behind that might be needed. My entire SSD was backed up to OneDrive so I don't think I'm missing anything, but I want to double check. I plug it into my PC via...
  8. Move SSD with windows 10 from old to new desktop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Move SSD with windows 10 from old to new desktop: Hello, This past weekend I upgraded my 2013 Dell desktop from windows 7 to 10, after seeing the windows 7 warning messages. A few years before that I bought a Samsung 250GB SSD and used their software to transfer the image of the Dell HDD to the Samsung SSD. WIndows 10 is...
  9. Reading old hlp files in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading old hlp files in Windows 10: How to read old hlp files in Windows 10. Any support seems to stop at Windows 8.1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/reading-old-hlp-files-in-windows-10/cf91f8ee-e457-44c8-adfc-a840fe7257d8"
  10. Clear Old SSD Files?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Clear Old SSD Files?: so i upgrade to a 250ssd samsung from my old 120gb kingston, how to clear the old 120gb kingston files? i dont have another sata but i have a Orico Enclosure 85855