Windows 10: Reading old floppy discs on Windows 10

Discus and support Reading old floppy discs on Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I found a box of old floppy discs from Seattle File Works SFW which contained photos from the 1990's. I bought USB floppy drive from Amazon to read... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by STuHolden, Nov 29, 2020.

1. STuHolden Win User

Reading old floppy discs on Windows 10

I found a box of old floppy discs from Seattle File Works SFW which contained photos from the 1990's.

I bought USB floppy drive from Amazon to read the discs, but as I discovered from searching, the floppy disc data format has changed over time; most of my old SFW discs gave an error that the disc was not formatted and could not be read.

This apparently was due to a change in the boot sectors - the later floppies have a media description byte which Windows 10 needs to read the disc.

Through trial and error, I found that I could read the old discs if I started with a newer disc and displayed the disc contents, and then swapped the disc for an old disc, and then clicked on a file on the c: drive; Windows apparently does not see the disc change.

If I then clicked back to the A: drive, the drive would read the disc without rereading the boot sector and I’d see the old disc’s contents.

I could then copy the SFW files to the c: drive and repeat the process with the next old disc.

:)

STuHolden, Nov 29, 2020
  2. Cliff 45 Win User

Driver for Floppy discs ?

I have a hardware unit that connects to my PC via USB to allow it to read the old floppy discs.
    However, when inserted I receive a message that it cannot be read. Several of them are from
    an old Mavica camera and I would like to be able to see and/or copy them to a DVD.
    Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Cliff 45, Nov 29, 2020
  3. BSJ68 Win User
    windows 10 floppy disc

I have a commercial embroidery machine and all of my past customer designs are on floppy disc, My new machine will run off of a flash drive but I still need to pull up old files from the floppy disc and transfer them to the flash drive

BSJ68, Nov 29, 2020
  4. Reading old floppy discs on Windows 10

Windows 95 Floppy Disc

My friend has a windows 95 floppy disc that was used to back-up an old computer, which she no longer has in her possession. She needs to get the data off of the floppy disc, but doesn't know how to do it. Is there a service or portable disc reader that
    could recover the data from the disc and transfer it to a thumb drive?

PatriciaK16, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

Reading old floppy discs on Windows 10

1. Reading old floppy discs on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Reading old floppy

2. floppy disks dont read in windows, but do read in linux?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    floppy disks dont read in windows, but do read in linux?: I was looking at some old disks, cleaning up and figuring out things and found out the windows simply has severe issues with my floppies, most all were made on windows 95,98,ME. some are boot disks. Window looks at for a while, then says disc needs formatting. And if you try...
  3. 3.5 FLOPPY DISC

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3.5 FLOPPY DISC: I HAVE SEVERAL FLOPPY DISC THAT I CAN'T GET TO PLAY ON MY WINDOWS 10 COMPUTER. I HAVE A EXTERNAL DRIVE THAT I USE BUT THEY WILL NOT WORK ON IT NEITHER. I HAD A WINDOWS XP COMPUTER THAT THEY WORKED ON, BUT WHEN I MOVED IT GOT TOSSED. I AM TRYING TO PURCHASE ANOTHER XP COMPUTER...
  4. Why won't Windows 10 read 3.5" floppy disk on external USB floppy drive?

Why won't Windows 10 read 3.5" floppy disk on external USB floppy drive?: Is there a fix to make Windows 10 read 3.5 floppy disks on a USB floppy disk drive. The drive shows up in the Devices and Printers screen but when I right click on the device and choose "Browse files" and then choose "Floppy Disk DriveA:" it replies "A:\ is not accessible....
  5. windows 10 floppy disc

windows 10 floppy disc: I am currently running Windows 7 Professional and a Floppy disc drive on a USB port. Can I still use the Floppy drive on the USB port if I upgrade to Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-floppy-disc/7ea0482c-70b2-444e-877a-8e011df8868e
  6. Help with old floppy disk

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with old floppy disk: [ATTACH] I apologize if this has been covered - I found an old floppy with photos on it from around 2003 from Walgreens. I decided to buy a floppy reader to try and access the files. I bought this one on Amazon -...
  7. Floppy disk drive not reading disks

Floppy disk drive not reading disks: I have an external floppy disk drive that I have been using and it has stopped working with the message: "A: is not accessible. The disk media is not recognized. It may not be formatted."...
  8. USB Floppy disks not auto-reading

USB Floppy disks not auto-reading: I got myself a USB based floppy disk drive for my PC, so I could put my DOSBOX games and MIDIs on actual floppies. The issue I'm having is that the disks don't read when I switch them out. In order to make them read I need to open and then close the Format Menu for my A:...
  9. Driver for Floppy discs ?

Driver for Floppy discs ?: I have a hardware unit that connects to my PC via USB to allow it to read the old floppy discs. However, when inserted I receive a message that it cannot be read. Several of them are from an old Mavica camera and I would like to be able to see and/or copy them to a DVD....
  10. Disc driver not reading discs

Disc driver not reading discs: I'm not sure if it's called a disc driver, the thing where you put discs in on the pc, but no discs are working when i put them there, usually when putting a disc in there afew seconds you see a little disc icon near the cursor, but when i put ANY disc no matter what it is,...