Windows 10: Real time protection is off and won't turn on. And I can't update Windows defender.

Discus and support Real time protection is off and won't turn on. And I can't update Windows defender. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Real time protection and everything in that page is grayed out and off Update KB2267602 won't install for some reason. When I try to update from... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by h_Chain, Nov 24, 2018.

1. h_Chain Win User

Real time protection is off and won't turn on. And I can't update Windows defender.

Real time protection and everything in that page is grayed out and off

Update KB2267602 won't install for some reason. When I try to update from Windows Defender it says Your IT admin has limited access to this app.

It is an admin account

I don't have any other anti-virus installed.

I tried using group policy to enable it but its still not working.

I have windows 10 Home. Activated with the latest October update.

:)

h_Chain, Nov 24, 2018

2. Windows Defender Real-time protection

Thankfully we can enforce Defender’s Group Policy settings without using the Group Policy Editor, and without merging a downloaded REG file
    – and the alternative is amazingly quick and easy. I’m going to recommend against disabling Defender with the DisableAntiSpyware DWORD, because I’m seeing some really bizarre behavior when I use a REG command for this in Version 1709.
    On the other hand, there doesn’t seem to be any problem at all with turning Defender’s real-time protection on or off with these REG commands:

Click on the Start button and select Windows Powershell (Admin) and then copy, paste, and enter the command:

Turn off Windows Defender’s real-time protection:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection" /v DisableRealtimeMonitoring /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Turn on Windows Defender’s real-time protection:

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection" /v DisableRealtimeMonitoring

GreginMich, Nov 24, 2018
  3. Cant turn on real time protection

I’m not sure what’s going on there, but you might want to run some scans in order to make sure that malware hasn’t assumed the role of administrator and turned off Defender’s real-time protection with Group Policy:

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool:

Kaspersky Removal Tool 2015

Emsisoft Emergency Kit:

Emsisoft | Emergency Kit: Free Portable Malware Scan and Removal

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (free version only):

Malwarebytes for Windows - Antivirus Replacement for PCs

Eset Online Scanner:

Free Virus Scan | Online Virus Scan from ESET

Some other trusted third-party malware-removal tools are listed here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...al-tools/d824b9af-ebd8-4c47-94e2-8ee6c544c100

Then you can use these REG commands to toggle the Group Policy setting for Windows Defender’s real-time protection.

Click on the Start button and select Windows Powershell (Admin) and then copy, paste, and enter the command:

Turn off Windows Defender’s real-time protection:

REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection" /v DisableRealtimeMonitoring /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

Turn on Windows Defender’s real-time protection:

REG DELETE "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Real-Time Protection" /v DisableRealtimeMonitoring

GreginMich, Nov 24, 2018
  4. josh1221 Win User

Real time protection is off and won't turn on. And I can't update Windows defender.

Windows Defender Real-time Protection will not turn on

I've done the exact same steps and same for me. Still won't turn on. Anyone have a way to muscle defender into turning on real-time protection?

josh1221, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

1. Real time protection is off and won't turn on. And I can't update Windows defender. - Similar Threads - Real protection off

2. I can't turn off real time protection.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I can't turn off real time protection.: I have real-time protection enabled on my device and I can't turn it off. I can't even turn it off. I have tried multiple solutions like editing registry, power shell commands, and editing policy group but nothing worked. There is no third-party antivirus installed as well. I...
  3. I can't turn off real time protection.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I can't turn off real time protection.: I have real-time protection enabled on my device and I can't turn it off. I can't even turn it off. I have tried multiple solutions like editing registry, power shell commands, and editing policy group but nothing worked. There is no third-party antivirus installed as well. I...
  4. Can't turn off real-time protection

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Can't turn off real-time protection: I can't turn off the real-time protection or other options in Virus $ threat protection settings. I tried to use gpedit but didn't work either. I realized that I can't use some other functions like protection history still see the list of actions, but can't interact or...
  5. Can't turn off real-time protection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't turn off real-time protection: I can't turn off the real-time protection or other options in Virus $ threat protection settings. I tried to use gpedit but didn't work either. I realized that I can't use some other functions like protection history still see the list of actions, but can't interact or...
  6. Can't turn off real-time protection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Can't turn off real-time protection

8. Turning Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Turning Off Windows Defender Real-time Protection: So i'm trying to do what the title says and basically it seems like it's impossible. Sure i can turn it off in the settings but every time i restart my computer it gets turned back on automatically. I was on windows 1803 a couple of days ago and i was able to simply turn it...
  9. Can't turn on real time protection on windows defender

Can't turn on real time protection on windows defender: Since my pc was working slowly for the whole day so I thought of scanning it. When I opened my windows defender it asked for an update. At that time my real time protection was turned on. After that first I completed scanning and then updated virus and spyware definition....
  10. Windows Defender Real Time Protection is Turned Off

Windows Defender Real Time Protection is Turned Off: [ATTACH][ATTACH] Please help me in solving this issue my windows defender real time protection is turned off and not turning on it says this setting can be managed by your administrator only but i'm using my administrator account only as you can see in image please give me...