Windows 10: Reallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out.

Discus and support Reallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So my C: Drive has been acting up lately, with barely enough space to stay alive. I tried to take some space off the D: Drive, which has 240 GB of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Hercules2905, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Reallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out.

So my C: Drive has been acting up lately, with barely enough space to stay alive. I tried to take some space off the D: Drive, which has 240 GB of unused space, and add it to the C: Drive using Disk Management. But when I shrink the D: Drive and Right Click on C: Drive the Extend Volume button is Greyed Out! I think this is happening because the Free Space is not adjacent to the C: Drive. Any Solutions or Tips?

Thanks.

:)

Hercules2905, Oct 9, 2015

2. Windows tells me I don't have enough space to download updates.

I agree that I need to extend the (CReallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out. :) drive into the free space, but, as I noted in my last reply, when I select disk C:, click Action, then All Tasks, the command selection window includes: Extend Volume,
    Shrink Volume and Delete Volume, but Extend Volume is " greyed out"(not active), hence I can't Extend the C: Volume.

In my previous reply attachment, does the free space qualify as being "just behind" the (CReallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out. :) partition?

I do not understand why the Extend Volume command is not active.

Bill Linhardt, Oct 9, 2015
  3. Windows tells me I don't have enough space to download updates.

My disk is 1 TB

When I go into Disk Management it shows (DReallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out. :) 79.16 GB, (CReallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out. :) 48.83 GB and free space 796.04 GB.

When I select disk C:, click Action, then All Tasks, the command selection window includes: Extend Volume, Shrink Volume and Delete Volume, but Extend Volume is " greyed out", hence I can't Extend the C: Volume.
    Reallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out. [​IMG]

Bill Linhardt, Oct 9, 2015
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Reallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out.

NavyLCDR, Oct 9, 2015
  5. linw Win User
    Yep, also endorse MiniTool.

You are right, the free space needs to be immediately to the right of the C: partition so move D: to the end leaving the free space between the C: and D:.

linw, Oct 9, 2015
  6. Whatphoeb Win User
    Whatphoeb, Oct 10, 2015
  7. Thanks a ton Guys, MiniTool Partition Wizard really worked like a charm for me! Why isn't it default software instead of that crappy Disk Management Service?

Hercules2905, Oct 11, 2015
  8. LMiller7 Win User

Technically Microsoft could have provided a disk management utility that rivaled the best commercial products on the market but this would have left competing products without a market. This would lead to expensive legal problems, as has happened in the past. It was for this reason that Microsoft was forced to create a special N version of Windows for sale in the European Union that did not include Media Player and similar programs.

LMiller7, Oct 11, 2015
  9. linw Win User
    It's a fantastic tool for sure. We are really lucky that these free gems are out there for our use.

Another 'bargain' that I use constantly is Macrium Reflect Free.

Glad to hear you got the job done.

10. herojig Win User
    herojig, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Reallocate Space to C: Drive. "Extend Volume" Button Greyed Out. - Similar Threads - Reallocate Space Drive

2. Unable to extend volume greyed out

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to extend volume greyed out: I have a new 4TB external drive that I bought to replace a failing 2TB one. I used DiskGenius to clone the old drive to the new one, which has worked, but left the new drive with a size of 2TB instead of 4TB. I can see the unallocated space in Disk Management, but it won't...
  3. Unable to extend volume greyed out

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to extend volume greyed out: I have a new 4TB external drive that I bought to replace a failing 2TB one. I used DiskGenius to clone the old drive to the new one, which has worked, but left the new drive with a size of 2TB instead of 4TB. I can see the unallocated space in Disk Management, but it won't...
  4. Unable to extend volume greyed out

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. extend volume button greyed out

extend volume button greyed out: hello,i just reformat my hp laptop that has a Toshiba hdd drive, but the problem is that i found that my hdd drive was sliced into two partitions,now if i go to disk manager then delete the partition that empty, then go to extend the volume of my c drive the extend volume...
  6. Extending C drive volume when the extend is greyed out

Extending C drive volume when the extend is greyed out: Extending C drive volume when the extend is greyed out, the spare volume is not next to C so C wont let me extend https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/extending-c-drive-volume-when-the-extend-is-greyed/7df7ffff-9bd8-4103-952a-d817cee0da97
  7. Extend volume is greyed out

Extend volume is greyed out: Dear sir/mam, I would like to extend volume G, with the 244.14 GB of unallocated space. But the extend volume option is greyed out on the G drive. How can I extend the volume of the G drive with unallocated space? I have searched on the web. Find some results that are...
  8. Extend volume on C Drive is grayed out,

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Extend volume on C Drive is grayed out,: My C drive is almost full and unable run major applications. I have space on D drive as shown below. When i right click on C drive "Extend Volume " is grayed out. How can merge drive C and D ? i shrinked 10gb volume from d drive. I can't add it to C drive extend volume is...
  9. Extend volume greyed out

Extend volume greyed out: My set up is shown in the attached image [ATTACH] C drive hold the OS M drive data I have recently changed C drive to a bigger disk and restored an image from the old set up. However I could not extend C drive volume to claim 113.63 GB Unallocated volume as “ Extend...
  10. C drive space reallocated long time ago and can't extend back?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    C drive space reallocated long time ago and can't extend back?: so, I shrank my c drive almost 2 years ago to seperate my projects and my normal stuff but when I tried to format the new volume and extend the c volume to fill up the space, it doesn't give me the option to extend the c volume, can anyone help? 82711

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 allocated space to c drive greyed out

2. windows 2019 reallocate disk space to new drives