Windows 10: Really strange "can't initialize drive" problem. Can anyone think of anything to help?

Discus and support Really strange "can't initialize drive" problem. Can anyone think of anything to help? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello All This is pretty much the oddest thing I have ever seen. My friend is having the same problem on two different computers with Windows 10 Pro.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AnthonyGiorgianni1, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Really strange "can't initialize drive" problem. Can anyone think of anything to help?

Hello All

This is pretty much the oddest thing I have ever seen. My friend is having the same problem on two different computers with Windows 10 Pro.

She has tried cloning the CReally strange "can't initialize drive" problem. Can anyone think of anything to help? :Drives to new Samsung SSD drives, using two different drives and two different Sabrent USB enclosures, one of which is brand new, with new a USB cable.

With each PC, when she attaches the enclosure cable to the computer, with the drives inserted, she doesn't see the drive in This PC It also doesn't show up using the Samsung Migration or Samsung Magician software. When she opens disk management, it says the drive is not initialized. It also says the drive is offline. If she tries to initialize using GUID or put the drive online, she gets the same error message, "Request failed due to a fatal device hardware error," with no error code or option to get additional info.

The Sabrent enclosures show up in Device Manager as working properly.

How can this be?

This is two different Windows laptops, a Dell and Thinkpad one is right out of the box.

Two different new Samsung SSD drives one a 500 gig and the other a TB

Two different Sabrent enclosures

Two different USB cables

For the Dell, which she had earlier, she also tried putting two older drives - a Toshiba and WD Blue that had been formatted - into the enclosure, and the computer didn't see those either. We thought it might have been that the enclosure was defective, that WD Blue and Toshiba drives simultaneously broke down, and that the new 500 gig Samsung drive also was defective, as coincidental as that may seem. But now that we have two of everything - including two laptops - none of that seems possible. She actually took that Dell and new Samsung drive to a computer repair shop, and they couldn't clone it either, using their own enclosure.

Sooooo... short of sending us to see Rod Serling or Alfred Hitchcock for those who remember them, can anyone suggest anything that makes a lick of sense? My friend is starting to think she has a bad aura or something. I've followed her through this over the phone, and she seems to be doing everything right. I've cloned Samsung drives many times, including with Sabrent enclosures, and have never seen anything like this.

Incidentally, both computers CAN see my friend's USB Passport backup drive.

Any thoughts before we call in a exorcist? :O

Thank you!

Anthony Giorgianni

:)

AnthonyGiorgianni1, Mar 23, 2021
  2. dalchina Win User

Strange USB-Drive Icons

Hi, I've not looked into this at all, but looking at that folder the one that appears to contain the strange icon is
    f4e323bf-0f31-42b6-9ad6-5d5382d3fa83
    - I don't have one called 797289b8-812a-4d9e-bda5-91567fd47bc6

Would I be correct in thinking that this ico file is the clue as to which to delete?

Really strange "can't initialize drive" problem. Can anyone think of anything to help? [​IMG]

And thanks- having deleted the folder it did indeed prove necessary to use Driver Booster as described. Problem solved- for now...

dalchina, Mar 23, 2021
  3. Sambat Win User
    Strange boot problem

I am trying to get my head round the 6 steps above before having a go. If you can expand on them it may give me a bit more confidence. I cant lose the whole contents of my PC.
    Have attached details as you suggested.

Really strange "can't initialize drive" problem. Can anyone think of anything to help? [​IMG]

Sambat, Mar 23, 2021
  4. Jerry8A Win User

Really strange "can't initialize drive" problem. Can anyone think of anything to help?

Optical Drive Issue

Hello Anak –

Appreciate your detailed return. Your added steps really helped.

Assuming I did the steps correctly, this is where I am now.

Screenshot 12 shows my CD Disc shortcut on my desktop.
    Screenshot 10 shows the CD Drive shortcut listed in the “Send to” listing.
    Screenshot 11 shows the “Send to” listing after the steps were taken, but the CD drive name is not listed.

So, it appears the steps did not work for me. And, I did try the steps, “If it still won’t do ……” and still no luck.

What do you think?

JerryA

Jerry8A, Mar 23, 2021
Thema:

Really strange "can't initialize drive" problem. Can anyone think of anything to help?

1. Really strange "can't initialize drive" problem. Can anyone think of anything to help? - Similar Threads - Really strange can't

2. Can anyone help me in this problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can anyone help me in this problem?: your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device detected or resource wpad.local.tld is not responding.I don't want fixed about DNSor whatever BS I found in the netbecause my problem sayswpad.local.tlfi like to know what is it?and how it is fixedthank youdon't...
  3. Can anyone help me in this problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can anyone help me in this problem?: your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device detected or resource wpad.local.tld is not responding.I don't want fixed about DNSor whatever BS I found in the netbecause my problem sayswpad.local.tlfi like to know what is it?and how it is fixedthank youdon't...
  4. Really Need Help on this Problem with One Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really Need Help on this Problem with One Drive: First, I know it was a problem on my part for not reading the prompts when installing Windows 10. I purchased a new Lenovo Yoga Laptop. On startup it gave me a choice of installing Windows 10 or Windows 11. I chose Windows 10 on advice from the sales guy who said there was...
  5. Really Need Help on this Problem with One Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Really Need Help on this Problem with One Drive: First, I know it was a problem on my part for not reading the prompts when installing Windows 10. I purchased a new Lenovo Yoga Laptop. On startup it gave me a choice of installing Windows 10 or Windows 11. I chose Windows 10 on advice from the sales guy who said there was...
  6. MY computer is really slow, can anyone help?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MY computer is really slow, can anyone help?: SO i reset my PC about 2-3 weeks ago and ever saints, my computer has been very slow with most apps taking 5-10 minutes to open, other apps are struggling to connect to internet and some are just not opening at all. does anyone know what's going on? do i need to install...
  7. Can anyone help me with this problem ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can anyone help me with this problem ?: My laptop keep on experience some electic "buzz" sound whenever i watch a video or listen to a music. After i troubleshoot it still the same, here is the description. Can anyone help me with this ? Thanks in advance!! Diagnostics Troubleshooting Wizard Description Faulting...
  8. REALLY strange network problems.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    REALLY strange network problems.: I found out this Microsoft forums thing, and now I am asking like everything here. Another question of mine, except, this one isn't really stupid... Ok, now I know this question is asked a TON. So much. But for me it's different. I tried EVERYTHING, my computer is on...
  9. Can anyone help with audio problems?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can anyone help with audio problems?: So I can’t hear anything from my pc and I think that I have messed up something in the audio settings. Any idea what it is? submitted by /u/Georde260805 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/er2eax/can_anyone_help_with_audio_problems/
  10. Strange initial screen - has anyone seen this before?

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange initial screen - has anyone seen this before?: Hi everybody, I have a question. I bought a new Microsoft Surface Pro and was greeted with the attached screen (I blackened some unnecessary reflections of the screen and the two white parts showed the same 7-digit number). This somehow looks dubious to me. I was asking...