Windows 10: Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack...

Discus and support Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Problem Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack in Windows 10 1903 Symptoms Sound plays through... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mark Arimin-Grimm, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack...

Problem
    Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack in Windows 10 1903

Symptoms
    1. Sound plays through the PC speaker, if you plug in headphones the sound continues to play through the PC speaker
    2. If you restart the computer with headphones plugged in, the sound plays through the headphones. When you unplug the headphones, sounds play through the PC speaker. When you plug the headphones in, the sound continues to play through the PC speaker
    3. If you plug in the headphones early during the logon process, sound will play through the headphones. If you unplug the headphones after the logon process is complete the sound will play through the PC speakers. When you next plug in the headphones, the sound continues to play through the PC Speakers.

Root Cause

The Realtek audio driver installs a service called 'Realtek Audio Universal Service' 'RtkAudUService64.exe' that is instructed to start up in three contexts.

The Service starts up as automatic in the system context and spawns two processes

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\RtkAudUService64.exe"

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\RtkAudUService64.exe" –admin

And the following registry entry starts it in the user context

KeyName

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Value

RtkAudUService

Data

"C:\WINDOWS\System32\RtkAudUService64.exe" –background

The Service in the User context seems to break the dynamic switching or recognition of the engagement of the headphone jack.

Workarounds
    1. 1. Kill the Process (Standard User)

· Open the Task manger by right clicking on the task bar and selecting the 'Task Manager' from the context menu.

· Click on the 'Details' Tab

· Sort the processes by Name if necessary.

· Scroll down to the 'RtkAudUService.exe' entries.

· Select the 'RtkAudUService.exe' entry that has your username represented in the 'User Name' column.

· Either Right Click the process then select ‘End task’ from the context menu, or Click on the 'End Task' button at the bottom right of the 'Task Manager' window.

Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack... 2da62bcc-dff2-4c30-9d7f-c7ee4cfd462f?upload=true.jpg

2. 2. Disable User Context Service Startup (Administrator)

· Open the Task manger by right clicking on the task bar and selecting the 'Task Manager' from the context menu.

· Select the Startup Tab

Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack... c61658ab-fde5-46fd-8b83-c0ce87806b06?upload=true.jpg

· Select the 'Realtek HD Audio Universal Service' and either Right Click and select 'Disable' option from the context menu or click on the 'Disable' Button at the bottom right of the Task Manager window.

Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack... 87615e36-8c10-47ef-b89a-950136ca1cc6?upload=true.jpg

· Now logoff and log back on or reboot the computer.

3. Delete the Registry Key (Administrator)

· Open the Registry Editor by pressing the Windows Start Menu and typing 'Regedit' then selecting the resulting option.

· Navigate to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run' and select the 'Run' Key

· Right Click the 'RtkAudUService' entry in the results pane and select 'Delete'

· Reboot the Computer

Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack... 453fd607-8a7a-40d3-9934-2ac77e12edb8?upload=true.jpg

NOTE

I have only tested on Windows 1903 and only noticed the problems with the 'Realtek HD Audio universal Service'. This is installed on a driver that is used in many Dell models and HP laptops. I don't seem have the problem on computers where the Startup Service is called 'Realtek HD Audio Manager'

:)

Mark Arimin-Grimm, Nov 26, 2019
  2. Timobkg Win User

Realtek HD Audio not switching to Headphone settings

My case, Antec P280, has an HD Audio front panel, and the motherboard is configured for HD Audio.

It still detects when I plug headphones in, and I get the Realtek popup asking me to confirm that I plugged headphones in and whether to use the Auto, IEM, or Full Size headphone setting. But then it stays on 5.1 Speakers in the Realtek HD Audio Manager, and in the Windows device settings.

If I plug headphones in via the front, the Realtek Audio Manager detects the headphones and mutes the rear jacks, but stays on 5.1 Speaker setting. Clicking on the pictures of the 5.1 speakers causes every speaker except the sub to play via the headphones.

If I plug the headphones in the back, in place of my front speakers, and click on the output jack to switch it to Headphones within the Realtek Audio Manager, it still stays on 5.1 Speaker setting and only the front speakers play via headphones.

It used to work fine, and I haven't made any hardware changes in the last few weeks.

Could it be that the recent drivers have disabled the separate Headphone setting entirely, and it's now always whatever Speaker setting you specify?

Timobkg, Nov 26, 2019
  3. Audio jack seems not detect my headphone

I have a windows 10 laptop and up until yesterday everything was fine , and suddenly it seems that my audio jack doesn;t detect my headphone. I connect my headphone to the audio jack, but the sounds just came out my laptop's speaker. I've tried to switch to my earphone and the result is the same. I've tried several solutions like uninstalling my driver or trying to get to the sounds properties , but the results are the same. Please give me your help , and btw I'm new here.

tarkijowow, Nov 26, 2019
  4. Rich H567 Win User

Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack...

Realtek HD audio headphone jack

Realtek HD audio headphone jack not listed separately in device manager, headphones don't

Rich H567, Nov 26, 2019
Thema:

Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack...

1. Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack... - Similar Threads - Realtek Audio Driver

2. Headphone jack....RealTek...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Headphone jack....RealTek...: Hello.My headphone jack isn't working. I looked around on the web and was directed towards the realtek driver. I suspect that is the issue since I don't have it downloaded.I downloaded it manually from realtek, but got hit with a an 'Error Code', stating 'No driver supported...
  3. Headphone jack....RealTek...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Headphone jack....RealTek...: Hello.My headphone jack isn't working. I looked around on the web and was directed towards the realtek driver. I suspect that is the issue since I don't have it downloaded.I downloaded it manually from realtek, but got hit with a an 'Error Code', stating 'No driver supported...
  4. Realtek Speaker/Headphones Audio

Realtek Speaker/Headphones Audio: Hi, I have Windows 10 21H1 installed on my PC. I have a issue with Realtek Audio. I want to use both - my computer's inbuilt speaker and Headphones but am unable to do so. When I connect my headphones, I get audio output from my headphones, but If I want to change it to my...
  5. External Microphone Not Working with Headphone Jack Realtek Audio Drivers

External Microphone Not Working with Headphone Jack Realtek Audio Drivers: Hi, everyone, When I try to use the microphone on my new Dell Inspiron 3880 desktop, it is not working. I have tried to solve it by following ways. Still, it remains a dame. But the Headphone works perfectly. * Install the latest audio drives * Removed the latest drives and...
  6. External Microphone Not Working with Headphone Jack Realtek Audio Drivers

External Microphone Not Working with Headphone Jack Realtek Audio Drivers: Hi,I have been having a problem over the past couple of weeks where my laptop, Gigabyte Aero 15 WA, no longer uses the microphone from my earbuds that I would like to use and rather just uses the laptop's built-in microphone. The audio output to my earbuds works just fine...
  7. Switching between Headphones and Speakers. Help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching between Headphones and Speakers. Help: Hey guys, im using speakers most of the time but switch to my headset when i want to talk to someone (DUH). I have my speakers plugged into the back of my pc and my headphones in the front/top in the specific headset port, now my problem is, that i always have to plug or...
  8. Audio not switching between speakers and headphones after case swap

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio not switching between speakers and headphones after case swap: Got my self a new computer case yesterday and plugged in my old components and everything went fine. But now when im switching between my speakers and headphones the audio stays on just my headphones until i open a new program then it plays on my speakers and vice versa....
  9. Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack...: Problem Realtek Audio Driver doesn’t dynamically switch between PC Speaker and the Headphone Jack in Windows 10 1903 Symptoms Sound plays through the PC speaker, if you plug in headphones the sound continues to play through the PC speaker If you restart the computer with...
  10. VIA HD Audio doesn't switch between speakers/headphones

VIA HD Audio doesn't switch between speakers/headphones: This is just a small problem, but pretty annoying one. I recently updated to Win 10, and the first thing I noticed was that the sound settings were weird. Both speakers and headphone sounds work perfectly fine, but they don't automatically switch when I plug/unplug the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to switch from speaker to headpnoe jack

2. realtek wont switch to 5.1