Windows 10: Realtek Card Reader Keeps Disappearing

Discus and support Realtek Card Reader Keeps Disappearing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I've just updated my Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop to Windows 10. All is working fine apart from the built in Realtek card reader. When the PC starts,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Steve C, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Steve C Win User

Realtek Card Reader Keeps Disappearing

I've just updated my Dell Inspiron 7537 laptop to Windows 10.

All is working fine apart from the built in Realtek card reader. When the PC starts, the card reader appears as a drive and I can read/write to the card. However, the reader will randomly show no content in file explorer and the drive disappears altogether if I remove and reinsert the card. The card reader reappears if I restart the PC. Device Manger shows no problems with the card reader.

I've tried the Dell Windows 10 driver, the latest driver on Realtek's site and the driver installed by Windows update but all fail in the same way. The card reader was fine in Windows 8 so I think it's a software issue.

Any ideas what may be wrong?

:)

Steve C, Dec 5, 2015
  2. crs7227 Win User

Can't install Windows 10 ERROR: 0xC1900101-0x20017

You may have a RealTek sound driver but the one I was having issues with was a RealTek card reader driver. It did not affect my sound card. After I disabled the RealTek card reader driver I was able to install Windows 10. Then I installed an updated driver
    for my RealTek card reader that I downloaded from the RealTek website.

crs7227, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Windows 10 update failed?

I'm trying to finish "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709" in my windows update for Windows 10, but every time I try to finish it, there is some kind of problem involving "Realtek PCIE Card Reader". The update can't finish because this card reader
    isn't compatible or something and it told me to uninstall it myself then press the "refresh" button...

So I uninstalled the "Realtek PCIE Card Reader" from my programs list and pressed the refresh button...

The windows update keeps telling me to uninstall "Realtek PCIE Card Reader", even though it's already been uninstalled. I even got rid of the registry entry for "Realtek PCIE Card Reader" in RegEdit. It doesn't seem to matter what I do, the update won't finish
    and it keeps telling me to uninstall the thing. I've restarted the update several times, turned my computer off and on, etc. Nothing has fixed this...

What do I do to fix this issue and finish the update?

Mister Bright, Dec 5, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, it's normal for the drive (letter) not to be shown in explorer/a file manager if no card is inserted.

However you also report
    a. the content of the card not being displayed randomly
    and
    b. the (empty, I presume) card reader appearing as a drive after a restart

Those two are not normal behaviour.

The one thing you haven't tried is using the Windows 8 compatible driver, assuming it's different.

Noted (not the same symptoms though):
    Inspiron 15 7537, clean install of Windows 10, SD Card reader driver issues - Windows 10 - Software Operating Systems - Dell Community

dalchina, Dec 5, 2015
  5. Steve C Win User
    The reader icon doesn't appear if there is no card present. The problem is file explorer can be correctly showing the card then the card contents disappear leaving an apparently empty drive. The drive icon will eventually disappear but it doesn't reappear when I remove and reinsert the card.

Steve C, Dec 5, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Just looked at the driver list- that for Win 8 is different, so worth a shot.
    Product Support | Dell US

Note that Win 10 will replace any driver different to what it thinks is good for you... unless you act.
    So if that works, please see the tutorial on how to stop drivers being updated.

dalchina, Dec 5, 2015
  7. Steve C Win User
    I tried the Dell Windows 8 driver but it just shows the same behavior. The drive keeps disappearing at random but reappears on restart. Maybe its just a case of waiting until Dell sort out the driver support?

Steve C, Dec 6, 2015
  8. dalchina New Member

Could be worth trying the Dell forum.. and checking reports for your type of PC generally.

If you upgraded (rather than a clean install) it's worth checking (after creating a restore point)
    - what happens on a clean boot
    - what happens if you disable all non-MS shell extensions with shellexview (free).
    Take care to hide all MS shell extensions first (see shellexview's GUI).

dalchina, Dec 6, 2015
  9. Steve C Win User
    I just discovered reports of a bad block on the card listed in event viewer before it disappears. I'll try and correct that and try another card. Have also posted to Dell forum.

Steve C, Dec 6, 2015
  10. Steve C Win User
    I did a surface scan and the SD card had a clean report.

I then viewed the card reader in Device Manager and noted it was connected to Intel 8 Series PCI Express Root Port when "View devices by connection" is selected. I let Windows update the driver for this and it found a driver about 6 months newer which it installed and all appears fine.

I've updated all the Intel hardware items in the same way,

Steve C, Dec 7, 2015
  11. dalchina New Member
    Hi, interesting the driver hadn't been updated automatically. Glad you've solved it. Please mark as solved - thanks

dalchina, Dec 7, 2015
  12. Steve C Win User
    I've turned off auto driver updates for now since the Dell forum reports some issues with new versions of the Intel ME driver and I don't want this to auto update.

Steve C, Dec 7, 2015
  13. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Realtek Card Reader Keeps Disappearing - Similar Threads - Realtek Card Reader

2. Realtek usb smart card reader drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Realtek usb smart card reader drive: drive for realtek usb smart card reader https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-usb-smart-card-reader-drive/de6d84c3-2463-4aa5-99ff-23803e79bec1
  3. Realtek usb smart card reader drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek usb smart card reader drive: drive for realtek usb smart card reader https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/realtek-usb-smart-card-reader-drive/de6d84c3-2463-4aa5-99ff-23803e79bec1
  4. realtek card reader

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    realtek card reader: As I was uninstalling unwanted programs and, I removed research Realtek card reader, and only later discovered has something to do with making USBs work. So I want it back. If I try to simply download and install the current version, an error message results. The page...
  5. onboard realtek sd card reader not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    onboard realtek sd card reader not working: I have Toshiba satellite laptop that I upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and Realtek onboard sd card reader will not work, what do I do?...
  6. realtek sd card reader code 48

realtek sd card reader code 48: I have an HP Laptop with a Realtek PCIE Card reader. It stopped working after the Win 10 anniversary upgrade. It has the following device status on Device Manager; The software for this device has been blocked from starting because it is known to have a problem with...
  7. Realtek PCIE card reader problem

Realtek PCIE card reader problem: I have in the process of connecting a printer when I noticed that there was an exclamation mark on my laptop, Rea Card Reader has error, Problem with PNP devices and then proceeds to say that it is blocked by group policy Driver has been blocked from starting, known to...
  8. Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader

Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader: hello, When I was viewing my windows 10 updates I saw some unusual update history of my Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader, (see attachments)I very rarely use this on my Dell Inspiron ONE but thought I would just check it out, and it did of course not work, I tried to find the...
  9. Realtek Card Reader 2.0 will not update.

Realtek Card Reader 2.0 will not update.: My Realtek 2.0 Card Reader is not working in Windows 10. I noticed in Device Manager the driver version had not updated. Then I looked in the Event Viewer and noticed: Device started (USBSTOR), then Driver service added (RTSUER), then Device installed (rtsuerxdisablemmc.inf),...
  10. Realtek Card Reader Driver

Realtek Card Reader Driver: Realtek Card Reader v10.0.10125.31214 Downloads Detail ds103308 22630

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my realtek output keeps disappearing

2. realtek 2.0 disappearing micro

3. realtek rtl8187 keeps disappearing

4. my realtek driver keeps disappearing