Windows 10: Realtek HD audio non sound after win 10 upgrade

Discus and support Realtek HD audio non sound after win 10 upgrade in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Same problem on a Lenovo desktop. Asked for Microsoft support and even entered my password on one of their screens and gave them control of my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by currang, Jul 29, 2015.

1. NoAx Win User

Realtek HD audio non sound after win 10 upgrade

Same problem on a Lenovo desktop. Asked for Microsoft support and even entered my password on one of their screens and gave them control of my computer! Believe me, I AM USUALLY SMARTER THAN THIS. They futzed around and gave up...disconnected without saying anything. I then changed my password. They had no idea what they were doing. It sure seems that the problem is an incompatibility with Realtek drivers and Windows 10....why M$ did not suspect this %$*!!! I went back to Windows 8.1.

If someone knows when a Realtek driver is available, please post. I'll try Windows 10 again although the idea that a window title bar must be white only is absurd!

2. essenbe Win User
    essenbe, Aug 31, 2015
  3. NoAx Win User
    I rolled back to Windows 8.1 (Yuch!) and will try Windows 10 ago (I guess MS will let me). I will then try these drivers. I have two questions though: When I looked at the drivers in W10, the option to upgrade drivers was grayed out. Don't know why that was. That fact alone is making me wonder if I ought to try W10 again.

Also, why wouldn't the proper set of drivers be included in the W10 install?

4. michal Win User

This may help to somebody: I got working sound on Windows 10 / ASUS M50S with these audio drivers: http://www.asus.com/be-nl/Notebooks/...Desk_Download/
    I did not used the setup, but updated the audio driver to this version 6.0.1.6413 *Smile

And currently I found even more interesting thing: I wanted to clean all I tried and uninstalled some previous Realtec setup, Microsoft High Definition Audio drivers (9.7.2015) were used, surprisingly everything was working fine but after few seconds it got auto updated to latest Realtec drivers that does not work. In the properties of the driver there is choice to get back to the latest driver if the current does not work so I tried that and got back to the Microsoft one and .. it works just fine *Smile

michal, Sep 23, 2015
  5. adj592 Win User
    This is the only thing that worked on my ASUS N55SF dual boot system: Win7 on HDD (MBR) and Win10 on SSD (GPT).

Step 1
    Assuming that you have already Win7 installed on your primary disk, install Win10 on your secondary disk.

Step 2
    When install is done, enter your BIOS and go to the Boot section. There you should see "Windows Boot Manager" as your default boot option. Change it so that your primary disk (where you have Win7 installed) becomes your default boot option (it should be something like "P0:" followed by your disk model number, mine is "P0: ST9750423AS"). Save and restart.

Step 3
    Now Win7 should start automatically (no boot manager showing up). Enter Win7, open an elevated command prompt and run
    bcdboot X:\windows
    where X is the Win10 system partition as seen from Win7, typically E, F, G or H.

Step 4
    Restart. You should now see the Windows Boot Manager (probably the Windows 10 GUI boot manager). Select Windows 10, install your audio drivers (if you already have, I suggest you uninstall them and restart before doing this), restart and you're done.

Reference: Solved No Windows Boot Manager on dual boot system (7 10) - Windows 10 Forums

adj592, Oct 10, 2015
  6. NoAx Win User
    After rolling back to Windows 8.1, I waited about a month and upgraded again to Windows 10 on 10/12/2015.

This time the sound for my Realtek devices works. I guess that the drivers were automatically updated.*Smile

7. Ugrimugri Win User
    THANK YOU ROBBMEISTERR !!!! *Biggrin

I have also asus N55SF and I have tryed to get my sound back over 3 months now after installing windows 10!!!
    THANK YOU AGAIN!!!
    Omg *Biggrin Its like I have a new laptom. No more headphones.
    You are the man!!

Ugrimugri, Nov 11, 2015
  8. Realtek HD audio non sound after win 10 upgrade

A new windows update removed the option to "never install driver software from windows update", so the previous solution doesn't work anymore. I have however found a new one.

Go to C:\Program Files\Realtek. Here you will find a folder named "audio". Rightclick this folder, select "properties" > Security tab > "Advanced" > "Change Permissions" > "Disable inheritance". Then select the SYSTEM permission and click "Remove".
    I have added a screenshot for some clearity.

Attachment 54875

Now just run the setup file of your chosen driver, reboot your laptop and everything should work.

Robbmeisterr, Dec 22, 2015
  9. reddice Win User
    reddice, Dec 22, 2015
  10. Robbmeisterr, Dec 22, 2015
  11. dukdude Win User
    Simple SOLUTION to the trash they call realtek high definition audio drivers:

Go to Your PC > Properties > Device Manager > Locate the CRAP Realtek Audio Driver > Right Click Properties > Go to Driver Tab > Select ROLL BACK DRIVER

That should be the end of it. You will be back to the basic windows 10 "High Definition Audio" driver that is much better than the so-called realtek audio driver. And after rebooting, it will stay that way as well. Works for me, I am back on the basic windows 10 high definition audio driver, not the realtek audio garbage. Yea the P.O.S. realtek driver that doesn't uninstall when you tell it to and auto-installs after rebooting. Yeah the P.O.S. realtek driver that still updates when you select do not update. Horsecrap.

Either way, I have windows 10 with the update that doesn't let you stop any updates (this is complete and utter BS). Im reverting back to windows 7 either way, but thought I'd share a solution to this autoupdate BS that microsoft is doing.

Please give a ton of thumbs up if you think realtek drivers are garbage. Thank you. Have a nice day.

dukdude, Jan 6, 2016
  12. semtex Win User
    Hello,
    it´s old thread, but I get to it also in these days.
    I´ve made clean installation of Windows 10 (after previous upgrade - when everything worked) and now no sound - I tried everything (all possible drivers, different software, etc.) and the last think worked - Update BIOS.

It is old laptop (but still working well) - Asus N75SF (only for information *Smile).

I hope it can help to somebody, who is experiencing same problem.

Have a nice day *Smile

semtex, Aug 6, 2017
  13. adj592 Win User

Years later I wanted to post the ultimate guide on how to fix audio problems on Windows 10 for the ASUS N55SF (might also work for the N55SL or similar models). Let's start off by saying there are two different levels to this problem, one concerning your MBR (Master Boot Record) and the other one which is more OS level.

First Level Problem
    If you receive audio to headphones or at any time your audio icon looked different from the one below, skip to the "Second Level Problem".
    This is when you don't get any sound at all (not even from headphones) and your speaker icon in the system tray constantly has a red X like this:

Realtek HD audio non sound after win 10 upgrade [​IMG]

Error code 10: device cannot start
    This problem occurs because you have installed Windows 10 on a GPT disk (you can check this on Disk Management: right-click your disk - usually Disk 0 - select Properties, Volumes tab, Partition style). Unfortunately the ASUS N55SF audio drivers are incompatible with GPT, so the only solution is wipe your disk clean and reinstall Windows on an MBR formatted disk (unless you have a Windows 7 partition on another disk and want to try my trick, though I don't recommend it). Here's the steps I suggest you to follow to make sure you install Windows on an MBR formatted disk:

• Burn your Windows 10 ISO on a DVD. Yes, burn. Using a USB stick (FAT-32) I could only manage to install Windows 10 on GPT. No matter how I formatted my stick with Rufus, there was no way Windows would let me proceed the installation on an MBR disk. Using the good old DVD method could possibly spare you hours of frustration. And don't worry if you don't have anymore a DVD drive installed in your laptop: I was able to install Windows through a USB-SATA cable connected to my external drive.
    • We are going to completely wipe your disk, so make sure you backup everything you need before you proceed. Boot your machine from the DVD and let the procedure load. Once on the partitioning screen, delete all the present partitions until all you're left with is unallocated space.
    • Now hit Shift+F10 to get the command line. Type "diskpart" and hit enter. Run the following commands:
      • list disk (as to take note of the disk number you want to install Windows on)
      • select disk # (where # is the number of the desired disk, usually 0)
      • clean
      • convert MBR
      • create partition primary
      • format fs=ntfs quick
      • assign
      • exit
    • Now you can close your command line and hit "Refresh". Click on your freshly created primary partition and click "Next" to proceed with the Windows install.

Second Level Problem
    Once Windows completes the install process it will reboot and your audio will immediately work with Windows' basic audio driver. This driver, along with several other drivers for Windows 10 (even those from the Realtek website) will give you a very low quality audio. Plus, as soon as Windows has internet access, it will update your audio driver to 6.0.1.7571, which will completely break your speakers audio. The only driver that will give you high quality sound is the original driver for Windows 7 (6.0.1.6413) that you can download from the ASUS website. You'll know you have installed the correct audio driver as soon as the orange audio icon from Realtek will show up in the system tray. Unfortunately Windows prevents the installation of this driver in any way it can, so here's the steps to follow to install the proper 6.0.1.6413 driver:

• Go to Start, type "This PC", right click on it and select Properties, Hardware tab, Device Installation Settings. Select "No, (your device might now work as expected)", then hit Save Changes.
    • Then follow Robbmeisterr's suggestion, I'll update it here: go to C:\Program Files\ and right-click on the Realtek folder. Select Properties, Security tab, Advanced, Change permissions, Disable inheritance, click on "Convert inherited permissions into explicit permissions on this object.", click on the SYSTEM line and then on Remove. Then tick "Replace all child object permissions entries with inheritable permissions entries from this object" and hit OK, then Yes. Do the same thing again if you have a Realtek folder on C:\Program Files (x86)\.
    • Now go to Device Manager (type it on Start), under "Sound, video and game controllers", right-click on "Realtek High Definition Audio" and select Properties, go to the Driver tab and check the Driver Version. If it says 10.0.#####... (which corresponds with your Windows version) it means that it's the default Windows driver and now you can try to install the proper driver from the ASUS website. If it says 6.0.1.7571 or some other wrong driver version, see if you can Roll Back Driver. If so, it should revert to 10.0.#####.... If you can't rollback the driver try to install the latest driver from the Realtek website. After you install it and reboot the system, try to rollback it again and get the 10.0.#####... You can also try from Device Manager to uninstall it and hit Action, Scan for hardware changes. What matters is you install the correct 6.0.1.6413 on top of the 10.0.#####... (if you still have problems you can try running the installers from safe mode).

If after all this you've managed to install the correct driver (meaning the orange audio icon from Realtek shows in the system tray), but for some reason the ASUS Sonic Focus utility failed to install, you can go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Realtek\Audio\ASF3GUI and install it from there (beware SF vs SM).

Hope this saves some pain.

adj592, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Realtek HD audio non sound after win 10 upgrade - Similar Threads - Realtek audio non

2. Realtek HD audio does not play sound.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Realtek HD audio does not play sound.: Realtek HD audio does not play sound. I have mb with alc892 codec with 7.1 stereo sound. I tried all the realtek software for hd audio from thier hp, installed realtek hd audio controller for alc892, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, but it does not play sound. The...
  3. Realtek HD audio does not play sound.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek HD audio does not play sound.: Realtek HD audio does not play sound. I have mb with alc892 codec with 7.1 stereo sound. I tried all the realtek software for hd audio from thier hp, installed realtek hd audio controller for alc892, uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, but it does not play sound. The...
  4. win 10 non carica il realtek audio manager

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    win 10 non carica il realtek audio manager: win 10 non carica il realtek audio manager per sistema 5.1, questo dopo aver scaricato il file 2.82 per sistemi x64 bite ma l'icona windows nella barra mi fa vedere che è caricato quello stereo ma non il 5.1 come fare per ricaricare il file audio manager?...
  5. Realtek HD audio

Realtek HD audio: I just bought a new pc this christmas and plugged my hyper x cloud alphas with the splitter into the pc, after working past all the buggy issues and such and I tried playing the game Modern Warfare warzone, as of playing it I realized that I was only getting sound that was in...
  6. Upgrade from Win 10 1809 to Win 10 2004, I think this upgrade deleted my Realtek Audio HD...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from Win 10 1809 to Win 10 2004, I think this upgrade deleted my Realtek Audio HD...: I need to Re-install the Realtek HD Audio Manager and Drivers but How do I do that? I have the Driver #'s and Codec #'s but are they Compatible with the 2004 Version of Windows 10? Some how, in a Update my Realtek HD Codecs and Drivers that were originally installed on this...
  7. Realtek HD Audio problems after update

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Realtek HD Audio problems after update: Im wondering if ppl have no sound after the update and if they did, how they fixed it. submitted by /u/Singh673 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f3hkzt/realtek_hd_audio_problems_after_update/
  8. Realtek HD Crackling Audio sounds - Windows 10

Realtek HD Crackling Audio sounds - Windows 10: Hi I currently have a Dell Inspiron 7567 running windows 10. And it had good as expected audio output, then a few months ago this issue rose, I searched online countless times and attempted to fix it, long story short I didn't BUT then a few days went buy and it got fixed on...
  9. Realtek HD Audio

Realtek HD Audio: My computer was working great until the Windows 10 update last week. Now the Realtek HD Audio and Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000 drivers are not working. I have tried all of the manual updates and troubleshooting to no avail. I have done a lot of research and this seems to be a...
  10. RealTek HD sound problem

RealTek HD sound problem: Hello, I've been installing the latest drivers from realtek audio, both from Reaktek website and automatic updates. Whenever I install it the sound is bugged. I hear trash noise and the volume is super low. I have to revert back to the windows 10 generic driver and sound...