Windows 10: RealtekR Audio This device cannot start. Code 10

Discus and support RealtekR Audio This device cannot start. Code 10 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have HP Elitebook 830 G6 running Windows 11. The Audio Drivers are not working which is a very huge issue for me. Here is the error description:This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by itexpert120, Feb 29, 2024.

1. RealtekR Audio This device cannot start. Code 10

I have HP Elitebook 830 G6 running Windows 11. The Audio Drivers are not working which is a very huge issue for me. Here is the error description:This device cannot start. Code 10 {Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period expired. The audio device is working correctly on Linux so it is not a hardware issue. Please help me fix this. I have contacted Microsoft Help and they were unable to fix it, reinstalling drivers, windows and everything I have tried.

:)

itexpert120, Feb 29, 2024

2. High Definition Audio Controller cannot start. This device cannot start. (Code 10).

Hi,

As you are facing issues with accessing the audio and installing the audio drivers, do not worry we will help you with this issue.

We appreciate your interest in resolving the issue.

Provide us additional information to assist you better:

• What is the make and model of your device?
    • Have you made any changes to the operating system prior to this issue?

Let us try the below troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue and check if it helps.

Method 1: Try to run the troubleshooters to fix audio issues.

Step 1: Fix the driver issues.

Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
    Device Manager and on Scan for hardware changes.

Step 2: I suggest you to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
    as it checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Method 2: I recommend you to download the audio drivers for the manufacturer's website, uninstall the existing ones, try to re-install the latest drivers manually and check if it helps.

Step 1: Uninstall the Audio driver.

Steps:

• Press Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on
      Device Manager.
    • Expand Audio inputs and outputs, right click on the driver and click on
      Uninstall.

Step 2: Refer to the article by Andre Da Costa
    to install the latest driver: How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Also, refer to the Microsoft article about Error codes in Device Manager in Windows

Hope it helps. Get back to us with the required information and updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 29, 2024
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to install Realtek Audio driver, Error: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To be able to assist you in a better way, we will need a few more information from you:

• What is the make and model of your computer?

However, you can follow the steps mentioned below to install the Realtek drivers:

Method 1: Update the driver

To update the driver please refer the section Code 10 "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" from the article

Error codes in Device Manager in Windows

Method 2: Check hidden devices

We can check if the Realtek audio driver is hidden and then try updating the driver. Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold Windows key + X.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. Click on View and select
      Show hidden devices
    4. Expand Sound, video and game controllers.
    5. Right click on Realtek High Definition Audio and click on
      Update driver.
    6. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
    7. Click on Let me pick from a list of available drivers.
    8. Select the driver and click on Next to install the drivers.
    9. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 29, 2024
  4. Nearoo Win User

RealtekR Audio This device cannot start. Code 10

Windows 10: USB Audio device "cannot start (Code 10)"

I just bought a RadioShack Microphone Adapter 33-331. It's a XLR to mini USB converter. Supposed to be plug-and-play, but sadly doesn't work.

The device gets recognized as an audio device, however, when checking the properties of the device in the "Devices and Printers" dialogue and then clicking on Hardware, I get "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" from one of the components:

RealtekR Audio This device cannot start. Code 10 8x4Y8.png

Here are some steps I tried that you might try as well if you have a similar problem:

Nearoo, Feb 29, 2024
Thema:

RealtekR Audio This device cannot start. Code 10

1. RealtekR Audio This device cannot start. Code 10 - Similar Threads - RealtekR Audio device

2. RealtekR Audio This device cannot start. Code 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    RealtekR Audio This device cannot start. Code 10: I have HP Elitebook 830 G6 running Windows 11. The Audio Drivers are not working which is a very huge issue for me. Here is the error description:This device cannot start. Code 10 {Device Timeout} The specified I/O operation on %hs was not completed before the time-out period...
  3. This device cannot start. (code 10)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    This device cannot start. (code 10): While playing League of Legends on my Lenovo ideapad 330 the laptop shut down by itself. After booting it back up (it took longer than usual) my keyboard wasnt working. Booting it up takes longer now. There is a yellow triangle next to to the Standard PS/2 Keyboard in...
  4. Device Cannot Start Code 10.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Device Cannot Start Code 10.: Hi guys. Need some help. My Bose Soundtouch speaker had worked away quite happily for 2 years now all of a sudden nothing from my laptop will play through the speaker. After much messing about, i found the above warning against the speaker in Device Manager. As for fixing...
  5. No Audio Output Device is installed and This device cannot start. Code 10

No Audio Output Device is installed and This device cannot start. Code 10: I updated my Lenovo Thinkpad 10 Windows 10 Pro last night, and I cannot hear audio. I hovered over the sound icon on the taskbar and it said "No Audio Output Device is installed." So I went and reinstalled the audio drivers from the web page for the Lenovo Thinkpad 10, and...
  6. Windows 10 - RealtekR Audio

Windows 10 - RealtekR Audio: My microphone is not working. I went to Control Panel > sound > Recording > chose REaltekR Audio > Configure > Start Speech recognition > chose each one of the 3 options > when I talk my computer's microphone does not work...
  7. Realtek Audio device Code 10 cannot start and unable to update

Realtek Audio device Code 10 cannot start and unable to update: My headphone and mic jacks on my pc do not work and I have been trying for hours to get my on board sound working. I got the realtek drivers from my board manufacturer and every time I install them I get Code 10 : Device cannot start. I have tried updating and I have the...
  8. this device cannot start (code 10)

this device cannot start (code 10): I have tried lots of repair advices without resolving the problem! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/this-device-cannot-start-code-10/142326f7-1a73-4c35-9fd3-984700c81ded
  9. This device cannot start (code 10)

This device cannot start (code 10): Hello someone please help me cause i am officially losing my mind. my setup is a MSI GS65 Stealth Thin. It all started when i was going to install adobe Photoshop. it couldn't install because something was running so i restarted and everything was fine. but i had to...
  10. This device cannot start. (Code 10) High definition audio controller

This device cannot start. (Code 10) High definition audio controller: Macbook pro early 2011 bootcamp was not willing to let the SSD run in AHCI mode in windows 10, so I did EFI installation of windows 10. Everything seems to work but the audio card. Code: This device cannot start. (Code 10) in the High definition audio controller.[/quote]...