Windows 10: Reason no "auto backup of new files only" exists?

Discus and support Reason no "auto backup of new files only" exists? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am trying to back up my laptop to an external drive, and am finding that to do so the backup runs FOREVER... over 21,000 files. There does not seem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EmilyHarrison-Andino, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Reason no "auto backup of new files only" exists?

I am trying to back up my laptop to an external drive, and am finding that to do so the backup runs FOREVER... over 21,000 files. There does not seem to be a way to only backup files that have changed..... and I think I may know the reason? Is this because Microsoft expects you to use MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and OneDrive? All of which AUTOMATICALLY UPDATE the item with any changes made to a document, workbook, presentation, or file saved? Seems like the most logical answer to me as to why I can no longer find that functionality outside of a Microsoft product! Microsoft found a way to corner the market when it comes to backing up and saving files too! The issue I have is what if I don't want to save anything to the cloud?! It looks as if there may be no alternative..... which is a turn off if this is the case! Several choice names and words come to mind.... I hope this is not the case, but fear it may very well be. Does anyone know differently?

:)

EmilyHarrison-Andino, Jul 7, 2020
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Jul 7, 2020
  3. Sony Launches New SD Memory Cards with Backup Capabilities

Sony's newest SD memory cards can do more than just temporarily store and transfer content from digital cameras. The new Backup SD Card adds automatic back-up capabilities, eliminating the need for plugging in external drives each time users want to safeguard their data.

The new cards - available in 16-, 32- and 64 GB capacities - are the first to offer a dedicated real-time backup feature, so consumers can use removable memory as more than just "bridge media."

Reason no "auto backup of new files only" exists? Sony_Backup_SDHC_01_thm.jpg

"Everyone wants their personal content and memories safely preserved and archived, but people usually put off data back-up because it involves extra steps like plugging in other devices and organizing the files into different folders," said Viviano Cantu, director of consumer media marketing for Sony Electronics. "Those extra steps are gone. As soon as you put the card into your PC to view your files, the backup process begins and it's done so you don't have to worry about it."

The first step is to insert the Backup SD Card into the empty SD card slot on a PC. Consumers then install the software that's pre-loaded on the card and select the folders they want to have automatically backed-up.

By keeping the card in the slot, backup copies of important business documents or family photos are automatically made. Backup copies are always updated, as the card's utility software automatically makes backup copies every time it detects changes - such as the creation of new files or changes to existing data. The software automatically starts making back-up copies, with marks showing "During backup" or "Backup completed" displayed on the file icons to let users easily see the status of the backup.

Since the card remains in the slot, users don't have to connect external HDDs each time they want to make backups. Users can choose to keep their data more secure with AES 256-bit file encryption, so copies of important files can't be opened or seen by others even if the card is removed from the slot.

Consumers can get information and download a free 30-day trial demo of the Backup SD Card utility software at Sony Global - Memory Media & External Hard Drive Portal - Backup SD Card.

The new Backup SD Card will be available this month at the following prices:
    • SNBA16 (16 GB) - $27.99
    • SNBA32 (32 GB) - $52.99
    • SNBA64 (64 GB) - $99.99

Cristian_25H, Jul 7, 2020
  4. Reason no "auto backup of new files only" exists?

Backup skipped

Hi Ken,

For us to better isolate your concern, we need additional information. Kindly answer the following questions below:

• Are your backing up files or creating a system image?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    In the meantime, we suggest deleting the backup you created and create a new one. Click this
    article
    and follow the steps on how to create a backup.

We'll keep an eye out for your response.

Martin Bar, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

Reason no "auto backup of new files only" exists?

1. Reason no "auto backup of new files only" exists? - Similar Threads - Reason auto backup

2. Auto updating backup folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Auto updating backup folder: How do i create an auto-updating backup folder on an external drive? I've tried Smart move from Link Shell Extension But it does seem to work (or maybe I'm to impatient, idk) submitted by /u/lynet_101 [link] [comments]...
  3. Does this backup software exist?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Does this backup software exist?: I'm looking for a backup software for Win10 that can backup specifically selected folders that I select instead of backing up the whole drive, and only back up the files if they have changed or updated so it doesn't take a long time rewriting every file that hasn't been...
  4. Auto backups in Word

in Windows 10 Customization
    Auto backups in Word: Is there any option to specify where the backup is created? Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/auto-backups-in-word/c70b282c-1eea-4931-b69e-5b0cd3bbb931
  5. Google+Auto backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google+Auto backup: Each time I boot up,I get an invitation from Google+ backup to backup my photos.I follow the instructions for email address and password and click submit.I then get an alarm sound with a box that says"ERROR failed to access account information"Then I get an email alert from...
  6. Auto backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Auto backup: I have Windows 10 Auto Backup on two Dell PCs. Both are connected to an external solid state drives with daily (preferred) settings. They work fine for a week or two then just quit. I can do an manual backup at any time. Anyone know why this happens and have a solution?...
  7. Can Windows 7 Backup and File History Co-exist?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Can Windows 7 Backup and File History Co-exist?: Are Windows 7 Backup/Restore and File History intended to coexist or are they mutually exclusive? 125466
  8. Auto backup and sync

Auto backup and sync: HI everyone...I'm back again with a question. I have a new 2TB Portable Hard Drive. When I plug the drive into my computer I would like it to automatically synchronise with selected folders on my PC. Windows 10 does have a "backup" option but that appears to only offer...
  9. Auto backup and sync

in Windows 10 Support
    Auto backup and sync: HI everyone...I'm back again with a question. I have a new 2TB Portable Hard Drive. When I plug the drive into my computer I would like it to automatically synchronise with selected folders on my PC. Windows 10 does have a "backup" option but that appears to only offer...
  10. Backup only new or changed files?

Backup only new or changed files?: As I understand it, Windows 10 backup writes every file from every folder you select to the backup drive. Is there any option, or other backup software, that uses the file status bit (if that's what it's called) to only backup those files that are new, or changed, since the...