Windows 10: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable

Discus and support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Looking through MSINFO32 I see the line: Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by purplenate26, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable

Looking through MSINFO32 I see the line:
    Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected

What does it mean? My laptop C:\ drive is encrypted the whole thing. Does this mean I have a problem?

I have these lines too:
    Secure Boot State On
    PCR7 Configuration Bound

MSINFO32-09-22-2017.txt

:)

purplenate26, Sep 22, 2017

2. Unable to "Reset Computer" and computer freezes. Window 10 Pro conversion from Win 7 Pro.

My PC is a conversion from Win 7 Pro to Win10 Pro and I cannot "Reset Computer" and it freezes up on most updates and at various other times. Total power kill is the only way to get out of the freeze. Under "System Summary" there is the following
    message. "System Summary: Device Encryption Support Reason for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s)
    detected. Disabled by policy, TPM is not usable." Perhaps this is my problem. How do I correct it? (TPM - Total Physical Memory is 7.98 Gb) Computer has Ultra-Durable Gigabyte motherboard. Hard drive is 1Tb.

D. O.Foster, Sep 22, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Ubisofts The Division and Rainbow 6 Siege crashing at different intervals

The DRM used by some games does not play well with some Virtual machines or encryption (particularly if the

game want's to put files in an encrypted partition/folder ).

- If you are using Win10 Pro atm, and have enabled Hyper V, try disabling it .

- If your motherboard BIOS has an option forVirtualization Technology, verify that is disabled (Home and Pro)

- Encryption software can also cause conflicts - From the error...

"Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo,
    Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable"

More info...

windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/device-encryption-for-oem

View status, clear, or troubleshoot the TPM (Windows 10)

[EDIT:- Forgot to ask... Did the games run properly up to a point. What brand and model graphics processor are you using ?]

BossDweeb, Sep 22, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable

pepanee, Sep 22, 2017
  5. Gee, thanks for the info. My Google search results returned crap. Consider that link bookmarked. Doesn't really look like I have too much to worry about. Thanks again.

purplenate26, Sep 22, 2017
  6. pepanee Win User
    Here's a lot of results I found using Bing:

http://www.bing.com/search?q="Device+Encryption+Support+Reasons+for+failed+automatic+device+encryption"

You can read through some and see if you can figure out what all that is.

pepanee, Sep 23, 2017
  7. DavidY Win User
    DavidY, Oct 8, 2017
  8. Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable

All I know, is that since version 1703, a new group policy was added to block new DMA devices when the computer is locked. This is for Bitlocker only, don’t know about the Home version of device encryption.

Disable New DMA Devices when Computer is Locked.

Do a search for it.

DMA has been an issue for years and finally MS has added a policy for it

win10freak, Oct 14, 2017
  9. Good to know. I read up on it and now I am satisfied I have a good working knowledge of the issue.

purplenate26, Oct 15, 2017
  10. Tonyb Win User
    guys facing same issue as well have this error in system info and my secure boot is now disabled and stuff any way to fix ?? called ms they just point me to device manufacture , no help at all, the article looks to be removed ??

Tonyb, Oct 19, 2017
  11. Secure boot disabled because you want it that way or it broke? Maybe open a new thread about secure boot. Secure boot and Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected are different but related. Sounds like your problem deserves a new thread. You'll get better help for your secure boot issue that way.

purplenate26, Oct 20, 2017
  12. Tonyb Win User
    it broke but is enabled in my bios just not working because of this issue, i have another thread but no possible recourse there, i contacted microsoft who told me it's because of this issue, and i should contact motherboard manufacture i did and they just redirected me to MS again but no go on it.

Tonyb, Oct 20, 2017
  13. Tonyb Win User

Well MS rep was wrong this error is normal for a TPM 1.2 model for anyone wanting more info on this error check this out. so if you got this error Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, make sure you have a TPM 2.0 model and not a TPM 1.2 as the error is related to your TPM chip not beeing compatible see chart below. This is something new according to the page would explain why it use to be supported and is now not according to the page the changed it to TPM 2.0 going forward but kept some of the stuff compatible for older systems all new system will need TPM 2.0 is what i read and understand. Hope this helps others god bless all.

taken from TPM recommendations (Windows 10) | Microsoft Docs
    TPM and Windows Features

The following table defines which Windows features require TPM support.
    Windows Features TPM Required Supports TPM 1.2 Supports TPM 2.0 Details Measured Boot Yes Yes Yes Measured Boot requires TPM 1.2 or 2.0 and UEFI Secure Boot BitLocker Yes Yes Yes TPM 1.2 or 2.0 is required Device Encryption Yes N/A Yes Device Encryption requires InstantGo/Connected Standby certification, which requires TPM 2.0. Device Guard No Yes Yes Credential Guard No Yes Yes Windows 10, version 1507 (End of Life as of May 2017) only supported TPM 2.0 for Credential Guard. Beginning with Windows 10, version 1511, TPM 1.2 and 2.0 are supported. Device Health Attestation Yes Yes Yes Windows Hello/Windows Hello for Business No Yes Yes Azure AD join supports both versions of TPM, but requires TPM with keyed-hash message authentication code (HMAC) and Endorsement Key (EK) certificate for key attestation support. UEFI Secure Boot No Yes Yes TPM Platform Crypto Provider Key Storage Provider Yes Yes Yes Virtual Smart Card Yes Yes Yes Certificate storage No Yes Yes TPM is only required when the certificate is stored in the TPM.

Tonyb, Oct 21, 2017
  14. DavidY Win User
    Just to update an old thread - that article seems to be back at
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...yption-for-oem

I don't know if it had all the same information as before?

This time I'm right-clicking the download option bottom-left to keep a PDF copy!

DavidY, Nov 24, 2017
  15. Tonyb Win User
    Thanks much after reading this i understand why *Smile

Tonyb, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable - Similar Threads - Reasons failed automatic

2. Device encryption not shown , Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device encryption not shown , Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device...: I dual booted my device windows 11 with ubuntu , but before doing that i disabled device encryption by accessing it directly through settings. now after i have dual booted i search for device encryption but can't find it in settings anymore. I ran system information as...
  3. Device encryption not shown , Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device encryption not shown , Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device...: I dual booted my device windows 11 with ubuntu , but before doing that i disabled device encryption by accessing it directly through settings. now after i have dual booted i search for device encryption but can't find it in settings anymore. I ran system information as...
  4. Trying to Enable Encryption: Device Encryption Support Says "Un-allowed DMA capable...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to Enable Encryption: Device Encryption Support Says "Un-allowed DMA capable...: Hello,I am trying to enable Bitlocker encryption on some of my drives. However, I am running into some problems. When I try to turn on Bitlocker in my settings, I get the "Failed to open the BitLocker control panel tool. Error code: 0x800004005" message. I went into my system...
  5. Trying to Enable Encryption: Device Encryption Support Says "Un-allowed DMA capable...

Trying to Enable Encryption: Device Encryption Support Says "Un-allowed DMA capable...: Hello,I am trying to enable Bitlocker encryption on some of my drives. However, I am running into some problems. When I try to turn on Bitlocker in my settings, I get the "Failed to open the BitLocker control panel tool. Error code: 0x800004005" message. I went into my system...
  6. Will "Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/devices detected" issue with Windows Home Device...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will "Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/devices detected" issue with Windows Home Device...: Hi All,I have found that I can't enable Windows Device Encryption on my desktop due to the following issue""Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/devices detected". There is a registry workaround, but I think this may leave the machine open to a DMA attack, If I upgrade to Pro and use...
  7. Will "Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/devices detected" issue with Windows Home Device...

Will "Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/devices detected" issue with Windows Home Device...: Hi All,I have found that I can't enable Windows Device Encryption on my desktop due to the following issue""Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/devices detected". There is a registry workaround, but I think this may leave the machine open to a DMA attack, If I upgrade to Pro and use...
  8. Un-allowed DMA capable bus/devices detected

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Un-allowed DMA capable bus/devices detected: Hallo there! I would like to enable device encryption in Windows 10. However, I see the error in the system information page that un-allowed DMA capable bus/devices have been detected. I do not know what to do. I checked the BIOS and found a possibly relevant setting which...
  9. Device Encryption Support. Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-Allowed DMA...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Device Encryption Support. Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-Allowed DMA...: Hi, I have a new model of Dell laptop Inspiron i15- 5593 with Windows 10 Home - 1903 factory installed. Before updating BIOS to the current version, I checked to sure Device Encryption is turned off Settings --> Update & Security. Thing is, the option for "Device...
  10. Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected: Hello My problem is how can I find out which device on my laptop is Un-allowed DMA capable. I tried disabling my USB devices and unplugging laptop from docking station. My colleague has same laptop model and he is not having same issue as I do. System Information OS...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. device encryption support failed

2. pcr7 binding not supported

3. Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable PCR7 binding is not supported Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected TPM is not usable

4. Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable PCR7 binding is not supported Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected TPM is not,
  5. Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo,
  6. reason for failed automatic device encryption,
  7. PCR7 binding is not supported,
  8. device encryption support reasons for failed automatic device encryption: hardware security test interface failed and the device is not modern standby un-allowed dma-capable bus/device(s) detected,
  9. reasons for failed automatic device encryption: tpm is not usable pcr7 binding is not supported hardware security test interface failed and device is not instantgo un-allowed dma capable bus/device(s) detected tpm is not usable,
  10. device encryption support reasons for failed automatic device encryption: hardware security test interface failed and device is not instantgo un-allowed dma capable bus/device(s) detected,
  11. device encryption support reasons for failed automatic device encryption: hardware security test interface failed and device is not modern standby un-allowed dma capable bus/device(s) detected,
  12. Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected,
  13. device encryption support,
  14. dma capable,
  15. tpm is not usable pcr7 binding