Windows 10: Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41)

Discus and support Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Okay, just a quick question though, if it's okay? OP said they didn't want to clean re-install Windows, but it's possible for me. Does re-install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by VasGS, Mar 4, 2016.

1. axe0 New Member

Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41)

Resetting is almost the same as a clean install, but all stuff installed by ASUS (which sometimes may cause trouble) are be installed (again).
    With a clean install you loose everything, but a folder called Windows.Old could be created in the Windows partition referring to the old Windows installation from which you can get files in case you need some.

A clean install or reset helps IF the problem is software related (i.e. drivers from programs, conflicts between software or settings, improper configured settings, etc.)

2. VasGS Win User

Thanks for the advice. I already did that to be able to carry the laptop around, although I dont really have piece of mind carrying a functioning hot laptop in a tight backpack. Any other tricks to try after coming back from work? Is there any way to fix this (like a "repair windows" option, something that does not require reinstalling data and programs from scratch)?

VasGS, Mar 6, 2016
  3. axe0 New Member
  4. VasGS Win User

Thanks for pointing that out, I will try it during the weekend if the problem persists.

Meanwhile, I took a look at my old dump files (before the problem became persistent) through BlueScreenView . There are 5 dumps in total for the laptop's 18-month lifespan. All of them show ntoskrnl.exe to be the culprit, 4 of them have the "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" bug check string and the remaining has the CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. Is there a possiblity that there was an underlying intermittent issue that for whatever reason became permanent now? Do all these ring a bell?

Thanks again

VasGS, Mar 6, 2016
  5. axe0 New Member
    Windows files(ntoskrnl.exe is a Windows file) -> never the cause.
    It is only the marked cause because there was nothing else to blame.

6. Just want to leave an update from someone who's having the same issue: I did a fresh installation of Windows 10, and the problem still occurs. Going to contact ASUS for help.

itsjustnav, Mar 7, 2016
  7. axe0 New Member
    I never said it would solve the problem, since you didn't provide anything requested we can't help you...

8. VasGS Win User

Problem solved, it turns out that the BIOS has gone bananas for no apparent reason. No direct relation to BIOS changes or any hardware changes when the problem first occured, it just randomly snapped. I was led to this after I changed ssd and ram, after which the problem remained. Then I just forced reflashed the BIOS and now it is as good as new.

VasGS, Mar 8, 2016
  9. I've had this problem ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 (around January). I believe the cause of the problem is the driver for NVIDIA conflicting with Windows 10. Actually tried the driver update for NVIDIA from Windows Update before and my sleep somehow worked (but a little clunky), however, using the drivers from NVIDIA prevents me from going to sleep and results in BSOD. You just have to live with it until MS or NVIDIA fixes this bug. Give us some update if ASUS fixes this. Might only be a problem for specific video card models.

EDIT: We actually posted around the same time. So the BIOS is the root cause? Flashing removes the BSOD?

hapibanana, Mar 8, 2016
  10. VasGS Win User
    Yes it was the BIOS after all. No idea why. I was led to the conclusion that it was not a software problem after trying A LOT of thing, the last of which being replacing the laptop's SSD with its original one which I have kept without formatting. In the original SSD I had windows 8.1 in a working state, as I had replaced the SSD before upgrading to windows 10. Seeing that with the original SSD I had the exact same problem determined that software/drivers/whatever was not the case.
    BTW this is the first time that I am hearing about the nvidia drivers problem in windows 10. I am a heavy cuda user and I never had any problem using the very last geforce drivers, directly from the nvidia site.

VasGS, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41) - Similar Threads - Reboot waking sleep

2. My PC reboots after waking up from Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC reboots after waking up from Sleep Mode: The laptop normally goes to sleep but when it wakes up, it starts rebooting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-reboots-after-waking-up-from-sleep-mode/cd65a00a-2a7c-471e-bb2e-98e55155a440
  3. Error Waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error Waking from Sleep: So, just 3 days ago, I encountered a problem with waking my PC from sleep that would go on to occur every single time I try to wake my computer up from sleep. Given that I put my computer to sleep every night, this is a very bothersome issue. Upon attempting to wake my...
  4. BSOD after wake from sleep

BSOD after wake from sleep: Every once in a while when my computer wakes from sleep it experiences a BSOD and restarts. This doesn't happen every time, but it's been happening for a few months now so it's quite annoying. I've installed all the latest windows 10 updates and video card driver, but it...
  5. Rebooting after waking from sleep. Possibly GPU related

Rebooting after waking from sleep. Possibly GPU related: Hi there The experts on this forum have been very helpful in the past in solving obscure Windows problems so I thought I'd ask another one: I used to sleep my Win10 machine every night, but a while ago it stopped being able to wake from sleep and would instead wake up to a...
  6. Internal power error after waking from sleeping

Internal power error after waking from sleeping: My computer experienced crashing after reawaking. This happens after I update the system to latest 1809. I have updated the drivers I know to the newest one. Can any one help me?...
  7. BSOD Error After Waking Up from Sleep

BSOD Error After Waking Up from Sleep: I put my PC to sleep and when I wake it up, I'm getting no display on my monitors although the PC itself wakes up. I reboot the computer and encounter a BSOD "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)" I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Nvidia drivers have been...
  8. Computer reboots constantly after waking up from hybrid sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer reboots constantly after waking up from hybrid sleep: When I sometimes wake the computer up from hybrid sleep, it reboots constantly until I would turn off the PSU and turn it on back again and then I power on my PC and it boots normally Why is this issue happening? 79244
  9. Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself: Hi Guys, Please help me a little, I think I'm losing my mind. I have an Asus Ultrabook, UX302L. It came with windows 8 from the factory, I upgraded it to windows 10, all nice and wonderful. About a month ago, I replaced my HDD with an Samsung 850 Evo SSD and I installed...
  10. Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep: I have a huge problem with my ASUS laptop ( ROG G501JW ). I had unrelated problems with Windows 10 most likely caused by malware infection that had me use "Reset PC" option that basically performs fresh Windows 10 installation as far as settings go. After performing it I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41)