Windows 10: Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41)

Discus and support Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41) in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey all, first post here, glad to be on such a helping community. ASUS UX303LN user. Before 3 days, my laptop started refusing to wake up from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by VasGS, Mar 4, 2016.

1. VasGS Win User

Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41)

Hey all,
    first post here, glad to be on such a helping community.

ASUS UX303LN user. Before 3 days, my laptop started refusing to wake up from sleep properly, instead it reboots from a clean state, It is as if I am pressing an invisible reset button that starts the computer from scratch.
    The first time this occured, I managed to catch a glimpse of a BSOD with a sad face, followed by a restart (unfortunately I have not managed to note down the message). After that every time I do the same there is no BSOD, the laptop just shows the BIOS posting and then it loads Windows. Event Viewer shows the same Error 41 after every reboot. Note that before this problem started to occur, my laptop barely had to start from scratch (every time I was done with working I was just closing the lid, returning in a functioning environment) for a good 2 years. I had to reboot maybe once/twice a month for the necessary updates. Now the problem is reproducible every time.

Some more info:

-After crashing, the computer does NOT generate a memory dump, no matter what. I know how to setup a memory dump, however for the last 50 crashes it does not. I have tried selecting minidump instead of automatic dump without a result (the last dump was 3 weeks back for another reason). Disabling automatic restart after crash does not work either.

-The problem started 2 days after receiving the notorious KB3140743 update (that came together with KB3139907). Uninstalling the first did not help, the second cannot be uninstalled.

-Trying to alleviate the problem, I thought of changing to hibernate instead of sleep when I close the lid/ the system goes idle. For that I had to reenable hibernation (powercfg /h on) which I had disabled because I have not used it. It worked ONCE, just the first time, every other time the result is the same as with sleeping (reboot and error 41). Enabling/disabling Hybrid Sleep did not help either)

-Windows memory diagnostics shows no errors, SMART also shows no errors for the SSD

What I have tried (and failed) so far:

-Reverting KB3140743
    -Updating/reverting display drivers for the 2 GPUs (intel 4400/geforce 840m)
    -Updating/reverting/completely disabling intel 7260 wifi/bluetooth drivers (which are known to be problematic)
    -Changing network card's "keep device awake" options
    -Updating intel DPTF drivers (after seeing that they post some not critical errors in the event viewer)
    -Disabling Throttlestop (a tool to manage the CPU's behaviour)
    -Changing power schemes
    -Tinkering with different SSD options (indexing/virtual memory etc)

I really really cannot afford a complete reinstall of windows at this time point, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached you will find a log created with the DM Log Collector Tool
    Attachment 67757

Regards,
    Vasia

:)

VasGS, Mar 4, 2016
  2. tyfang Win User

Win64 Reboot after Waking from sleep (Event ID 41)

Hi all, this is my first post on here and I'm desperately looking for help. I'm in the middle of my semester in school and this issue is causing me major headaches Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41) :(

I'm using a Dell XPS 13 9350 (build 16299, BIOS v1.4.10) running Windows10-64bit.

Basically what is happening is when I wake my laptop from sleep, the system gets rebooted and this effectively causes me to lose any unsaved data since it closes everything Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41) :( If the laptop is plugged in while sleeping, it will wake up just fine. But if
    it becomes unplugged during sleep, system reboots when waking up. I have not done any recent updates or major system changes when I saw the BSOD. I was working with some electronics that were plugged into my laptop via USB. I don't know if this could have
    caused the issue (maybe excess power draw? I was not looking at the screen at the time of BSOD).

I have tried to do a little research on my own and have found other similar posts, but each person's resolution seem to vary. For example, this post (Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41) Solved - Windows 10 Forums) seemed
    to summarize my problem, but the answer was to reflash the BIOS. Since I don't know exactly what that does (or how to do it), I thought I would consult the more knowledgeable community before I try something like that. I didn't want to try anything on my own
    that would put my system in a worse state.

I noticed that when I look inside my Event Viewer, the Event ID 41 always show up each time I open up my laptop and the system is rebooted. Along with 41, I also see ID 10016 recurring. And there are some Event ID related to bluetooth (ID 1026, 17, 3) that
    shows up a little more sporadically.

Since finding out about this reboot issue after the BSOD, I have tried to run a system update. This installed:

-Feature update to Windows10, version 1709

-Update for Windows 10 Version 1709 for x64-based Systems (KB4041994)

-Security Update for Adobe Flash Player (KB4049179)

If there is any additional information that I could provide to help diagnose the issue, please let me know. If anyone could provide any insight/pointers to how I can resolve this issue, I would really really appreciate your help!

Thank you,

Terry

tyfang, Mar 4, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Win64 Reboot after Waking from sleep (Event ID 41)

One thing you can do is to never let it sleep.

Go Settings, System, Power & sleep. Also on the right under Related settings, Additional power settings.

lacrumb, Mar 4, 2016
  4. axe0 New Member

Configure the recovery settings to not restart your system when a BSOD occurs, then you can catch it and make a pic *Smile

Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41) [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    System File Check
    Please try following:
    • Open an admin command prompt
    • Copy/paste "sfc/scannow" (without quotes) and press enter
    • When it finished reboot your system
    • Open again an admin command prompt
    • Enter sfc/scannow again
    If sfc/scannow says "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" after the second SFC, please upload the cbs.log file located at {windows partition}\Windows\Logs\CBS\, if the file is too large try a 3rd party uploader like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, mediafire etc.
    System File Check(SFC a.k.a. Windows Resource Protection) needs to have your system rebooted in order for sfc to try to fix the problems that it finds.

axe0, Mar 4, 2016
  5. VasGS Win User
    Thanks for the swift response. I have already setup the PC not to restart after a BSOD (as I have stated in OP) without success, as the problem persists ( the system seems to go to sleep normally, however every attempt to wake the PC results in starting from scratch, as if it was off, so no BSOD screen).
    The System File Check method you quoted results in no errors after both the first and second run (displaying "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.")

Any other options?

VasGS, Mar 4, 2016
  6. axe0 New Member
    Diagnostic Test
    DRIVER VERIFIER

Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial to run driver verifier.

Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

axe0, Mar 4, 2016
  7. VasGS Win User
    Warning Please make a backup of your important files and get your rescue media or create one.
    Please create a restore point.
    Please follow this tutorial to run driver verifier.

Driver verifier stresses your drivers and will crash your pc if any driver fails due to a violation.

Driver verifier should be performed for a max of 48 hours, or when you have a bluescreen, whatever comes first.

If driver verifier has found a violation and you can't get back into windows normally, try to boot into safe mode and reset in safe mode driver verifier, or in the troubleshooting options open command prompt and type verifier /reset.

Note Your system will act very sluggishly while driver verifier is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash. I havee made all the necessary steps, however no expected slugginess is happening so maybe the Driver Verifier process is not running after the restart. Is there a way to know for sure that the verifier is running? (any process or service name that I need to see running or in any way identify that it is in fact running?)

Thanks again

VasGS, Mar 4, 2016
  8. axe0 New Member

When you open driver verifier, you can choose 'display existing settings'.
    If something says 'yes' below 'Enabled?' in the settings part, then driver verifier is enabled.

axe0, Mar 4, 2016
  9. VasGS Win User
    It is in fact working as it shows in existing settings. However, no slugginess, no cpu ramp-up an no extra heat, the pc runs no different as if it was idling. I will let it run until tomorrow (or until the 1st BSOD) and let you guys know.
    Regarding the dump I try to catch, should it be a regular huge one or a minidump? Right now I have set it on automatic (last one was 2.7 gigs if I remember correctly) but I can change it in advance.

Thanks again!

VasGS, Mar 4, 2016
  10. axe0 New Member
    Normally a minidump is created when a crash occurs with a memory dump file, simply run the dm log collector tool again and upload a new zip when a crash has occured *Smile

11. I'm having the exact same problem (except I'm nowhere near as technically knowledgeable and a lot of this is hocus pocus to me), but any help would be greatly appreciated. I have an ASUS laptop as well, and I also very briefly saw a sad face on my screen the first time this happened.

EDIT: Except my laptop is now very slow for a couple of minutes after I reboot.

itsjustnav, Mar 5, 2016
  12. axe0 New Member
    Hi @itsjustnav,

Please read How to upload files and create a new thread/topic for your problem.
    Creating a new thread/topic helps us to prevent confusion with who we try to help.

13. Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41)

Okay, just a quick question though, if it's okay? OP said they didn't want to clean re-install Windows, but it's possible for me. Does re-install windows mean format the drive and install the new Windows disc or can it mean the "Reset this PC" option. I am willing to use the "Reset this PC" option and do a clean install that way, do you think it could possibly solve the problem, or would it be pointless?

itsjustnav, Mar 5, 2016
  14. VasGS Win User
    So after nearly 32 hours of the verifier continuously running, it has not managed to crash the laptop. I have even tried to push the system into crashing by enabling/disabling the radios, connecting whatever usb equipment I could find, stressing it with benchmarks, video encoding etc but to no avail. The only thing that can definitely crash the pc is to put it to sleep, but that does not create a dump. Should I leave it longer or can I try something else? I was hoping to solve the problem before the start of the working week, since I will need my laptop to sleep properly due to having to carry it from place to place, but unfortunately I dont see this happening

VasGS, Mar 6, 2016
  15. axe0 New Member
    I suggest that you change your power option settings to prevent your laptop from going to sleep and everytime shutdown, if sleep certainly is what triggers it then this is a (temporary) solution.

Thema:

1. Reboot after waking from sleep (Error 41) - Similar Threads - Reboot waking sleep

2. My PC reboots after waking up from Sleep Mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My PC reboots after waking up from Sleep Mode: The laptop normally goes to sleep but when it wakes up, it starts rebooting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-pc-reboots-after-waking-up-from-sleep-mode/cd65a00a-2a7c-471e-bb2e-98e55155a440
  3. Error Waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Error Waking from Sleep: So, just 3 days ago, I encountered a problem with waking my PC from sleep that would go on to occur every single time I try to wake my computer up from sleep. Given that I put my computer to sleep every night, this is a very bothersome issue. Upon attempting to wake my...
  4. BSOD after wake from sleep

BSOD after wake from sleep: Every once in a while when my computer wakes from sleep it experiences a BSOD and restarts. This doesn't happen every time, but it's been happening for a few months now so it's quite annoying. I've installed all the latest windows 10 updates and video card driver, but it...
  5. Rebooting after waking from sleep. Possibly GPU related

Rebooting after waking from sleep. Possibly GPU related: Hi there The experts on this forum have been very helpful in the past in solving obscure Windows problems so I thought I'd ask another one: I used to sleep my Win10 machine every night, but a while ago it stopped being able to wake from sleep and would instead wake up to a...
  6. Internal power error after waking from sleeping

Internal power error after waking from sleeping: My computer experienced crashing after reawaking. This happens after I update the system to latest 1809. I have updated the drivers I know to the newest one. Can any one help me?...
  7. BSOD Error After Waking Up from Sleep

BSOD Error After Waking Up from Sleep: I put my PC to sleep and when I wake it up, I'm getting no display on my monitors although the PC itself wakes up. I reboot the computer and encounter a BSOD "VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (nvlddmkm.sys)" I recently updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Nvidia drivers have been...
  8. Computer reboots constantly after waking up from hybrid sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer reboots constantly after waking up from hybrid sleep: When I sometimes wake the computer up from hybrid sleep, it reboots constantly until I would turn off the PSU and turn it on back again and then I power on my PC and it boots normally Why is this issue happening? 79244
  9. Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself

in Windows 10 Support
    Wake from Sleep - Laptop Reboots itself: Hi Guys, Please help me a little, I think I'm losing my mind. I have an Asus Ultrabook, UX302L. It came with windows 8 from the factory, I upgraded it to windows 10, all nice and wonderful. About a month ago, I replaced my HDD with an Samsung 850 Evo SSD and I installed...
  10. Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop reboots after trying to wake it from sleep: I have a huge problem with my ASUS laptop ( ROG G501JW ). I had unrelated problems with Windows 10 most likely caused by malware infection that had me use "Reset PC" option that basically performs fresh Windows 10 installation as far as settings go. After performing it I...