Windows 10: "Reboot and select proper boot device"

Discus and support "Reboot and select proper boot device" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just had a major BSOD with my 64-bit system, and it said it was collecting data and would then reboot. It said the error was related to netio.sys.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rivre, Sep 27, 2017.

1. rivre Win User

"Reboot and select proper boot device"

I just had a major BSOD with my 64-bit system, and it said it was collecting data and would then reboot. It said the error was related to netio.sys.

When my PC rebooted, all I got was "Reboot and select proper boot device". It was like my OS wasn't there any more. I even plugged in my Windows 10 OS install thumb drive, and selected startup repair, and it said it couldn't repair the system. As a last resort, I tried hitting F12 at boot to bring up my boot menu, and then selected the Windows Boot Manager listed at the top of the menu, and it immediately booted okay. I ran sfc /scannow and chkdsk and both found no problems. No viruses according to Avast and Malwarebytes. This is the 2nd time this happened - the first time was back near the beginning of the year. All I was doing was watching an online video in Firefox when my OS crashed. Last time earlier this year I was watching a video in MPC-HC.

I have no idea why I'm getting these crashes, and I have no idea why I have to manually select the windows boot manager now to boot. I never had to do that before tonight's crash. What happened to make me have to hit F12 and go into the boot manager now to boot? Is something corrupted relating to booting up? I tried shutting down and rebooting and now it's the same every time - I have to hit F12 to manually select the boot manager. Any help with figuring out what's up with booting would be much appreciated.

:)

rivre, Sep 27, 2017

2. Reboot and select proper boot device

Hello,

On a working computer, create an Installation media of Windows 10 that allows you to repair existing Windows Installation.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-create...

Click Repair your computer at the first screen that says Install now.

Select Startup repair and see if the computer can boot afterwards.

Sumit Dhiman2, Sep 27, 2017
  3. AngelM99 Win User
    Reboot and select proper boot device

Last night I restored my computer to a January 1st 2018 version becauss I was getting the “infinate loop error” where my computer would have that buffer circle and then just go to a black screen. Now, after I’ve restored it, My Asus republic of gamers laptop
    with windows 10 says “reboot and select proper boot device.” I followed a previous form’s steps and got to the bios menu and tried setting the boot to my hard drive, but no hard drive option shows up. What should I do next?
    "Reboot and select proper boot device" [​IMG]

AngelM99, Sep 27, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

5. robgr Win User
    Do you have more than disk on your PC?

robgr, Sep 27, 2017
  6. rivre Win User
    I'm not quite understanding what you're asking here.

rivre, Sep 27, 2017
  7. rivre Win User
    Something must have happened to affect how my system boots.

rivre, Sep 27, 2017
  8. rivre Win User

rivre, Sep 27, 2017
  9. EdTittel Win User
    Try this link for the free version of Macrium Reflect: Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything. I use it on all 8 of my current physical PCs. Works like a champ!
    --Ed--

PS: just went to check and it turns out that Version 7 for Reflect Free was released yesterday. Now updating all of my PCs. Yippee!!

EdTittel, Sep 28, 2017
  10. robgr Win User
    Do you have more than hard disk or SSD?
    Disconnect all other disks apart from the boot disk and then reboot, that fixes it for me
    You can then reconnect all other disks and all will be well

robgr, Sep 28, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    I think he is saying to unplug all but the OS drive and turn the PC back on.Just unplug the sata data cable while PC is off.

swarfega, Sep 28, 2017
  12. rivre Win User
    Oh, I tried that and nothing changed.

Thanks for the link to Macrium free, EdTittel. Though the repair boot option still did nothing for me. It re-wrote the boot files but that didn't solve my issue.

Here's what I figured out -

In my BIOS, my boot order was :

1) DVD drive
    2) Windows Boot Manager
    3) OS drive

I don't remember now if that's the way it has been previously, or if the OS crash somehow changed the order. But when booting, I found that the BIOS was trying to boot from the DVD drive as expected, but since there was nothing in the drive, instead of moving on to #2 (the boot manager), it was just saying there was no OS present since the DVD drive was empty. It was like there was no 2nd or 3rd boot option after the DVD drive, but there was.

Is this normal? On my old ASUS motherboards, I remember setting the DVD drives as the first boot option in case I had any recovery media or Linux OS discs in the drives, and if the drives were empty, it would just move on to the 2nd boot option, etc.

On my current PC with a Gigabyte Gaming 7 board, it doesn't seem to get past the first boot option if it's empty. I figured this out when I put the Macrium recovery disc in the DVD drive and the PC booted from it no problem. And since I was able to boot ok as long as I hit F12 and manually select the Windows Boot Manager, I decided to try moving the Windows Boot Manager to boot option #1 in my BIOS, and sure enough, now it boots right up when I start my PC.

So why wasn't my BIOS just moving on to option #2 when it was seeing that my DVD drives were empty? Is this how it's supposed to be (that doesn't make sense), or is there something else in the BIOS that I might be overlooking? I can't remember now - maybe before the OS crash my BIOS did have the boot manager in the first boot option and it got re-arranged? Any ideas?

rivre, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Reboot and select proper boot device" - Similar Threads - Reboot select proper

2. Reboot and select proper boot device

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reboot and select proper boot device: Hi, I recently got hacked, and a virus was put on my PC that stopped windows from loading. But I fixed it a few days ago. When I fixed it, and got into windows, my HDD wasn't showing up in my storage on my PC so then I unplugged and plugged it back it. The actual issue was...
  3. Reboot and select proper boot device

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reboot and select proper boot device: I was dual booted windows 10 with parrot os . And I wanted to remove parrot os from my laptop .. so i have deleted the partition and removed clearly . After the restart of my laptop it shows "Reboot and select proper boot device " After tht i have changed the settings in bio...
  4. Reboot and select proper boot device??

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Reboot and select proper boot device??: Hello i have clean disks using command diskpart and clean all disk so my disk have no OS install i try install windows with usb but every time i select boot override it showing message reboot and select proper device whats the cause of this and how can i fix this problem...
  5. Reboot and select proper boot device??

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Reboot and select proper boot device??: Hello i have clean disks using command diskpart and clean all disk so my disk have no OS install i try install windows with usb but every time i select boot override it showing message reboot and select proper device whats the cause of this and how can i fix this problem...
  6. "Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Reboot and Select proper Boot device": "...or Insert Boot Media inspected Boot device and press a key" This is what I see when I try to boot up my PC. Everything has been working great. This morning shortly after boot up I was searching the web and had started a download for a game off the EpicGamesStore when...
  7. reboot and select proper boot device

reboot and select proper boot device: Hey, so my friend owns some religious center with a bunch of PCs in a room. They called me to fix them and install Windows 10, as they had a 32-bit OEM Windows 7 Home Basic full of your typical non tech-savvy pups in every corner. We didn’t have a flash drive or any other...
  8. Reboot and select proper boot device.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Reboot and select proper boot device.: Hello Everyone. So i was working on a project in Indesign when i suddenly encountered some problem with some graphics in indesign. After a few seconds, the computer got a message The Blue Screen of Death where the stop code was : System Service Exception.Image attached below...
  9. “reboot and select proper boot device“

“reboot and select proper boot device“: I got a new gaming computer recently which has worked great until somehow overnight nothing works now. I get the message above when I try booting up my PC and have looked up ways to fix this issue. When I enter the bios menu my boot up device is there but when I click it the...
  10. Reboot and select proper boot device

Reboot and select proper boot device: I just reset my pc, deleted all the files and everything. My pc is now saying “reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.” My computer has a 1tb hard drive and another labeled windows (C:). What do I do to fix this?...