Windows 10: Reboot loop since yesterday, and it always attempts to auto-repair, even when selecting...

Discus and support Reboot loop since yesterday, and it always attempts to auto-repair, even when selecting... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I was prompted to reboot yesterday, so I accepted, and upon the reboot, my PC is going into the dreaded Auto Recovery loop, not matter which boot mode... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by WaltLahs, Apr 16, 2019.

1. WaltLahs Win User

Reboot loop since yesterday, and it always attempts to auto-repair, even when selecting...

I was prompted to reboot yesterday, so I accepted, and upon the reboot, my PC is going into the dreaded Auto Recovery loop, not matter which boot mode I select.

I was able to get into safe mode once, and attempted to restore to an earlier time, but it apparently failed. Since then, even when selecting safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode command prompt.. everything goes into an auto-repair attempt.

I have attempted to kick off a system restore to an even older restore point from the tools console, but that fails with notation that the drive isn't protected. I can kick it off from command prompt using rstrui.exe and setting the appropriate partition active. (rstrui.exe /offline:c:\windows =active) Unfortunately only a single restore point is showing as available when doing so, and that restore point will error out every single time. Error has to do with a missing path as I recall.. i don't recall the error code specifially. I believe it is 0x80070005.

I have looked at the StrtTrail.txt file, and it shows an error that bootres.dll is corrupt in a custom folder.

sfc /scannow returns an error as well.. i believe it was about windows protection.

I've researched a ton of threads and tried the process to repair the boot record that includes:

Bootrec /rebuildBCD

Bootrec /fixmbr

Bootrec /fixboot

I get an access denied.

No files in the regbackup folder.. so that option is out. I can't help but think it's a boot record or registry error, but I cannot find a backup copy of registry files to copy over the existing, and system restore is currently failing. There are at least 3 or 4 restorepoints, but I can only see the one that fails from the command line. (most recent)

I cannot help but think if I can get back into safe mode, I can try to restore, hopefully successfully, to an earlier timeslot and be back in business... but I can't even get into safe mode again. I really cannot do a fresh install if it can at all be avoided, and I am more than willing to spend some time to get where I need to be to resolve it.

I'm looking for any other ideas to try. I am considering using bcedit /set and turning off autorecovery to see if it will boot into safe mode like I have asked it to. I don't know if there is a way to setup the boot file to force safe mode, which should load up successfully because it had already done so once.

I do have boot media available, so I am also considering loading into the boot media and running sfc with the proper arguments for boot and windows directories to maybe get it to successfully run since it just gets a permissions issue otherwise. Maybe load up and directly edit the registry to resolve? i don't know anymore.

Any other ideas or anything I might be missing that I should be trying?

:)

WaltLahs, Apr 16, 2019

2. Automatic Repair Loop

Hi Charlene,

Your concern regarding the device going into an Automatic Repair Loop can be caused by change on its settings/configuration or broken system files. To effectively assist you with your concern, can confirm if you've made any changes on your device prior to
    your concern?

As an initial step to get back into the normal Windows screen, we suggest that you perform a
    Startup repair. The repair will attempt to fix any broken components/files which may prevent your device from booting properly. To do this, follow the steps below:

• On theAutomatic Repair screen, select Advanced options.
    • Select Troubleshoot.
    • Select Advanced options.
    • Select Startup Repair.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Apr 16, 2019
  3. Stuck in auto repair loop

Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

If the screen is stuck for a long time on auto repair, I suggest you to restart the computer using power button and check. If the issue still persist, I suggest you to check if you are able to boot the computer into Safe Mode environment and check.

To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps:

• Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when the Boot Menu appears.

• Select an option to “Safe mode with networking” using the arrow keys on the keyboard when the Windows Advanced Options menu
      appears, and then press ENTER.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Apr 16, 2019
  4. Reboot loop since yesterday, and it always attempts to auto-repair, even when selecting...

Automatic repair loop

So I have a year old ASUS laptop. Yesterday it entered the automatic repair loop and now I can't get it out. I have tried a number of fixes. Firstly I tried doing the followings command

• bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /Fixboot
    followed by chkdsk but nothing seems to happened

Then I did a system restore which seemed to fix it for a while but then it rebooted to the repair loop. Finally I reset the PC and reinstalled windows. Again this worked for a while and then rebooted to the repair loop. I am stuck and any help would
    be appreciated.

Andrew EvansSD, Apr 16, 2019
Thema:

Reboot loop since yesterday, and it always attempts to auto-repair, even when selecting...

1. Reboot loop since yesterday, and it always attempts to auto-repair, even when selecting... - Similar Threads - Reboot loop since

2. Auto Repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto Repair loop: I was trying to help a neighbor with his computer. He forgot his startup password. After several guesses his computer went into the auto repair loop. I did all the tests and everything passed. I did a chkdsk. Nothing worked. I don't have a boot disc or thumb drive. What can I...
  3. Auto repair loop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto repair loop: Hey I kinda need help with something. When I turn on my laptop I get taken to an auto repair thing. I’m not able to reset my pc or run a sfc scan. I’ve been stuck on that for hours and I really need help trying to fix it. I’ve been looking up things to help me escape it but I...
  4. Auto repair loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto repair loop: Hey I kinda need help with something. When I turn on my laptop I get taken to an auto repair thing. I’m not able to reset my pc or run a sfc scan. I’ve been stuck on that for hours and I really need help trying to fix it. I’ve been looking up things to help me escape it but I...
  5. Auto repair loop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Auto repair loop: Today when I turn on my laptop, I get a black screen that says "preparing automatic repair" and then changes to "diagnosing PC". They take me to a blue screen with various options. I have searched the internet on how to solve this, but nothing has worked. Whenever I tried...
  6. Auto repair loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Auto repair loop: Today when I turn on my laptop, I get a black screen that says "preparing automatic repair" and then changes to "diagnosing PC". They take me to a blue screen with various options. I have searched the internet on how to solve this, but nothing has worked. Whenever I tried...
  7. Auto repair loop

Auto repair loop: Hi, my asus laptop is stuck in an auto repair loop any fixes i cannot restart nor boot into safe mode F4 i also recently got this app so called restoro to scan my laptop for any viruses or updates . When it was scanning it had a blue screen idk why could this new app cause...
  8. auto repair loop

auto repair loop: I have a pc that I use for gaming it recently started going in a loop auto repair mode telling me stop code page fault in non page are and it says what failed win32k.sys I have tried the offered fixes in auto repair with no luck I am not computer lterate but would really...
  9. Auto repair loop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Auto repair loop: y windows 10 got stuck on the auto repair inicialization loop. I've tryed everything, even restauring the system keeping only the files and it didn't work. I think it's a hardware problem. At the end I bought another notebook, and I'd like to know if there is a way of copying...
  10. Attempt Repairs Loop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Attempt Repairs Loop: hi i would like to ask what to do with my laptop, i restart my laptop then suddenly when i was going to turn it on the screen says that it was attempting repairs and it was stuck there. i tried to turn it off and turning on while holding alt + f10 and i do the system restore...