Windows 10: Rebooting Windows for a new era of computing

Discus and support Rebooting Windows for a new era of computing in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I'm sure the Surface does what some say it does, but different strokes for different folks. If I didn't already have a laptop and a desktop PC and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, May 27, 2014.

1. Rebooting Windows for a new era of computing

I'm sure the Surface does what some say it does, but different strokes for different folks. If I didn't already have a laptop and a desktop PC and wanted something that did both it might be something I'd consider. Since I already have both I don't need a tablet with those specs and that price tag. I'm likely not alone in that either. My laptop has a 17 inch screen because that's what I wanted. Most days it only goes as far as my back deck so the size and weight aren't a big deal to me. I'm posting from it on my deck right now. I'm also not all that interested in plugging a hand full of assorted peripherals to make a tablet sized device usable as a desktop PC. Its great that you can do that but not everybody wants to do it. I'm not trying to be a smart ass but what often seems like "a really good idea" to one person ends up being a "why would I want to do that" moment for someone else. That's life.

alphanumeric, Jul 1, 2014
  2. EMINENT Win User

I think the problem we've come to is that some people are stuck in their ways and are afraid of the cloud or don't have a need for the convenience.

I really don't see the issue as many can keep doing what they're doing now, but they're refusing to adapt to change. The desktop is still going to be there for some time it looks like. People just need to deal with the fact that not everyone wants to be confined to just that one environment. At least I don't.

It's a shame, as i'm sitting here on the sofa and typing this on my Surface Pro 3. It's just a fantastic experience. I have the portability i've always wanted and the flexibility to use a desktop program at any moment. The same can be said if had an Asus T100 or a Dell Venue 11.

Sure, it's not going to replace your 17" monitor or your pc rig, but I do 't need it to. I need it to do everything I need to be completely mobile. And it does it fantastically. If it doesn't work for you, use something else or keep doing what you're doing. Why get so worked up about it?

EMINENT, Jul 5, 2014
  3. LittleJay Win User
    I don't think anyone is getting "worked up" about it, they are just expressing their opinions on the matter. I like reading the different pros and cons on the subject.

LittleJay, Jul 5, 2014
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

Rebooting Windows for a new era of computing

Off topic: Since you like fishing I a have a big one for you; 265 lb Yellow Fan. Caught it back in 1975 off Barbers Point on the Island of Oahu. Would show you a picture, albeit the lack of a scanner. . . At the time it was the largest Yellow Fin on record off Hawaii, however, since then my record was beat back in 1997 by (if memory sires me) the new record was 287 lbs.

5. Rickkins Win User
    I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Most people, at least on a forum like this can read a spec sheet. For me personally, if I were going to spend 3 grand on a portable computer, I would get a high end laptop with "actual" windows on it, ie: desktop. I, and I suspect others feel this way too, do not consider metro to be, and I quote "full blown windows os". Never gonna happen. And I think that is where the divide occurs....

Rickkins, Jul 6, 2014
  6. LittleJay Win User
    Nice fish ! *Thumbs I'll bet that was a blast pulling that one in!

LittleJay, Jul 6, 2014
  7. Tony K Win User
    Yes, divided.

8.x are indeed "full-blown" OSs > plus some. Admittedly windowing of the Modern/Metro Store apps is a problem, but I think it will come. More of a "fixed-sized" window one can shuffle around on designated amount of apps per screen in even amounts. 4, 6, 8, etc.
    I've used and watched these apps from 8 Preview. Admittedly undeveloped at first, I've seen them grow to a enjoyable, efficient usability. I dare say that the apps are indeed more efficient than their desktop counterparts along with Charms options and intertwined relationship. Safer with less hardware resources used also. I can gather more personal information and relay it to others quicker than the old desktop system.

I think many did not stick with them long enough to give them time of day or plainly not enough patience to learn a new way. That plus bad press by those who think they know better. Forum members too led to slow sales. *Biggrin

Modern/Metro > Walled garden > Native, but Cloud-centric > Full-blown > Running on any device OS just simply makes too much sense to me. But, bottom line, Rikkins > To each there own. The market will eventually vote. *Smile

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Rebooting Windows for a new era of computing

1. Rebooting Windows for a new era of computing - Similar Threads - Rebooting era computing

2. New computer reboots while updating

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    New computer reboots while updating: Hello, I just built my 2nd computer and have been having issues with it rebooting after about 20min.I did a fresh install of windows 10 pro from USB. I immediately went to update everything. I began the updates and it rebooted mid way through a majority of the updates. After...
  3. New computer reboots while updating

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New computer reboots while updating: Hello, I just built my 2nd computer and have been having issues with it rebooting after about 20min.I did a fresh install of windows 10 pro from USB. I immediately went to update everything. I began the updates and it rebooted mid way through a majority of the updates. After...
  4. New computer reboots while updating

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. New era of spatial computing brings challenges and solutions to VR VR-Holo

in Windows 10 News
    New era of spatial computing brings challenges and solutions to VR VR-Holo: [img] Virtual reality (VR) has continually pushed the boundaries of how we perceive, from its early days of Ivan Sutherland’s Sword of Damocles to today. With the technology emerging from its early stages of bulky equipment tethered to one place out of necessity,...
  6. Slots Era

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Slots Era: Slots Era will neither install or close to allow me to complete the jigsaw. I have uninstalled and reinstalled but no difference. This app has a problem. Can anyone help please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/slots-era/d2fe788a-e5b5-4c82-9870-ee963018d9c1
  7. CES 2019: Intel Showcases New Technology for Next Era of Computing

in Windows 10 News
    CES 2019: Intel Showcases New Technology for Next Era of Computing: On the eve of CES, Intel leaders – Gregory Bryant, senior vice president, Client Computing Group; Navin Shenoy, executive vice president, Data Center Group; and Professor Amnon Shashua, president and CEO of Mobileye, an Intel company – took to the stage to showcase the...
  8. Empowering a new era of personal productivity with new Surface devices

in Windows 10 News
    Empowering a new era of personal productivity with new Surface devices: [ATTACH] Today we shared our vision for a new era of personal productivity; unveiled Surface Pro 6, Surface Laptop 2, Surface Studio 2 and Surface Headphones, and announced availability of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update and new Office 365 experiences. As we work to...
  9. Opening Windows Holographic to Partners for a New Era of Mixed Reality

in Windows 10 News
    Opening Windows Holographic to Partners for a New Era of Mixed Reality: Today at Computex, I joined Nick Parker and Alex Kipman on stage to celebrate incredible devices from across the Windows ecosystem – from PCs to gaming to IoT and beyond – and to share how the upcoming Windows 10 Anniversary Update will bring all new innovation, creating...
  10. A New Era of Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft

in Windows 10 News
    A New Era of Windows 10 Devices from Microsoft: We’ve been talking about Windows 10 for over a year now and today we started our next chapter, with new devices designed for Windows 10. Today I stood on stage in NYC along with members of my team and had the honor of unveiling a new era of Windows 10 devices from...