Windows 10: Rebuild my computer

Discus and support Rebuild my computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I have a computer that I built a while back and I upgraded to Windows 10 from a copy of Windows 7. Now I want to upgrade my computer's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by SentreeSystems, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Rebuild my computer

Hello, I have a computer that I built a while back and I upgraded to Windows 10 from a copy of Windows 7. Now I want to upgrade my computer's motherboard, processor and memory, will I need to purchase a new license?

:)

SentreeSystems, Apr 13, 2020
  2. kormath Win User

Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done Rebuild my computer :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Apr 13, 2020
  3. Unable to display drive data

Hi Sachin,

I suggest that you rebuild the File indexing. Follow the below steps:

• Open Indexing Options by clicking the Start button
    • Clicking Control Panel.
    • Type indexing options, and then click Indexing Options.

• Click Advanced.

• In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab

• Click Rebuild.
    Check and let us if the steps helped to fix the issue.

Vinod Archak, Apr 13, 2020
  4. FormUser Win User

Rebuild my computer

Planning to upgrade and rebuild

Folks, I need help in planning to upgrade and rebuild my current system to Windows 10 Pro. My current system is as follows:

• Windows 8.1 Pro desktop computer with an internal HDD (it came with Windows 8.1 from the factory, I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 Pro)
    • Storage Spaces with 2 identical external USB HDDs in a mirror configuration, they are used for File History
    • BitLocker drive encryption enabled on the desktop computer and on Storage Spaces/File History

I know that if I simply click on the GWX icon in the system tray, I will get an in-place (and free) upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. Do I have to do that anyway to get the digital entitlement to Windows 10 Pro on my Microsoft account? In any case, I want to go
    beyond that and completely rebuild the system to Windows 10 Pro, i.e.

• fully reformat the internal HDD (not just a quick reformat) and do a BitLocker drive encryption of the reformatted internal HDD with the old BitLocker key (Can I do that?)
    • re-install all apps and programs on the internal HDD (I have all the install CDs/DVDs and licenses) and re-do all the configurations/settings
    • scan my Storage Spaces/File History with an AV (Can I do that with another, clean computer? I have clean Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 computers that I could use. Will it work when I merely turn off BitLocker without removing the old BitLocker password?
      Any other precautions that I should take?)
    • restore all my files from the Storage Spaces/File History of the pre-upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro computer back on the internal HDD of the now post-upgraded Windows 10 Pro computer (Can I do that? How do I test and make sure that I can restore my files
      from an earlier OS version, Windows 8.1 Pro, to a newer OS version, Windows 10 Pro ?)
    • turn BitLocker back on on the Storage Spaces/File History with the old BitLocker USB key (Will the auto-unlock feature that worked in the pre-upgraded Windows 8.1 Pro system still work in the post-upgraded Windows 10 Pro system?)

As you can see, I want to completely rebuild the Windows 10 Pro system from ground up (I will certainly make a system image backup of the Windows 8.1 Pro computer in case the project fails) Obviously, I want to make sure that I don't lose my data, nor my
    Windows license, nor my BitLocker. (Yes, I am a bit paranoid, but I am also willing to make the extra effort)

I am a bit concerned that BitLocker complicates the project. I would appreciate any advice and help on how to best plan this upgrade and rebuild project step by step (or even part advice on some of the steps)

FormUser, Apr 13, 2020
Thema:

Rebuild my computer

1. Rebuild my computer - Similar Threads - Rebuild computer

2. PC crashing after rebuild

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC crashing after rebuild: PC Bluescreen below are the two error latest error codes. I've tried digging though the dump file I'm not an expert on them but all I'm finding for these errors in the file is ??? entries in the dump.Some additional information this is a new install of windows 11. Previous...
  3. PC crashing after rebuild

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC crashing after rebuild: PC Bluescreen below are the two error latest error codes. I've tried digging though the dump file I'm not an expert on them but all I'm finding for these errors in the file is ??? entries in the dump.Some additional information this is a new install of windows 11. Previous...
  4. Windows Media Player keeps rebuilding the library everytime the computer comes out of...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Media Player keeps rebuilding the library everytime the computer comes out of...: I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit and Windows Media Player Version 12.0.19041.3208. Beginning last month whenever my computer comes out of hibernation I find my songs and videos missing from WMP and the library rebuilds itself. This is a lengthy process, taking 2-3 days each time...
  5. Windows Media Player keeps rebuilding the library everytime the computer comes out of...

Windows Media Player keeps rebuilding the library everytime the computer comes out of...: I have Windows 10 Home 64 bit and Windows Media Player Version 12.0.19041.3208. Beginning last month whenever my computer comes out of hibernation I find my songs and videos missing from WMP and the library rebuilds itself. This is a lengthy process, taking 2-3 days each time...
  6. Windows Media Player keeps rebuilding the library everytime the computer comes out of...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. I have Windows 11 Pro Registered to me I want to rebuild my computer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have Windows 11 Pro Registered to me I want to rebuild my computer.: I have tried to contact Microsoft and AI gets in the way.I really need a HUMAN urgently.I have had a major disruption to my Drive C; and now after removing all partitions I need to rebuild this computer. It is the exact same computer that Windows 11 Pro has been installed...
  8. I have Windows 11 Pro Registered to me I want to rebuild my computer.

I have Windows 11 Pro Registered to me I want to rebuild my computer.: I have tried to contact Microsoft and AI gets in the way.I really need a HUMAN urgently.I have had a major disruption to my Drive C; and now after removing all partitions I need to rebuild this computer. It is the exact same computer that Windows 11 Pro has been installed...
  9. planning to rebuild my wife's computer. can i transfer her windows 10 to the new...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    planning to rebuild my wife's computer. can i transfer her windows 10 to the new...: Old machine was updated to Windows 10, but the board and cpu are old, so wanting to change them out. will be keeping the drive. Can I do this? As I recall, the update was from Windows 7 when she got 10 downloaded....
  10. Post computer rebuild bsods

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Post computer rebuild bsods: Okay, recently a friend helped me update my windows desktop after some parts began failing. Seemed good for about a day, and then I started getting multiple bsods. The stopcodes I got were different each time, in order: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED WHAT FAILED:...