Windows 10: Rebuild of PC but networking is really confusing; 1 PC and 2 Laptops.

Discus and support Rebuild of PC but networking is really confusing; 1 PC and 2 Laptops. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am rebuilding my PC after a disaster with my C drive, with a new Win 10 64 install. I have this PC and two laptops that previously could communicate... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Trapper, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Trapper Win User

Rebuild of PC but networking is really confusing; 1 PC and 2 Laptops.

I am rebuilding my PC after a disaster with my C drive, with a new Win 10 64 install.
    I have this PC and two laptops that previously could communicate and share a specific file and I am trying but failing to do this again.
    I have printed out the Tutorial on 'Sharing files and folders over a network in Windows 10' and have followed the first section and checked that all 3 are the same set up as per the tutorial.
    Of course nothing ever goes right and I usually end up in confusion and getting bogged down. A sort of MS minefield.
    So I have a Private Network, set up as the tutorial requires, my PC can see Laptop 1 (Wife's) but it is unavailable, it cannot see Laptop 2 (My spare).

Laptop 1 can see my PC but it's greyed out as are the same PC but as a Windows media player, my Prime firestick, our Samsung TV and all are greyed out. It can see and access my Canon printer MG5750 WS It cannot see laptop 2.

Laptop 2 can see Laptop1 also as a Media Player sharing but is 'unavailable'. it can see and access my Canon printer MG5750 WS.

My PC can see Laptop 1 again as a Windows Media Player but not Laptop 2. and does print to my canon MG5750.

I have used the trouble shooters but that did not help. All I seem to end up with is the option to 'Remove the device' I have tried my very best to find the solution to this, but am lost.

:)

Trapper, Jun 27, 2019
  2. wortex Win User

My PC is not listed in Network

Hi Eagle51 & thanks for quick response

I am very grateful for your help

1 was not enabled. I enabled it and restarted the HT-PC, but now the HT-PC is not visible in Network list on any computer.

...then i run 2 and both was true.

Next step?

wortex, Jun 27, 2019
  3. LoSibley Win User
    Sync Settings Not Working for 1 PC on a 4 PC Network

Cheers for the response Israel.

I ran the Homegroup troubleshooter and it gave an error of network adapter problem.

I ran the Network adapter troubleshooter and it reset the adapter and then said that it could not fix the issue.

I ran it a second time, this time when it found an ethernet 4 port (I only have 1) that had an incorrect address. It deleted the port. The problem still existed.

I then ran the Homegroup troubleshooter again, this time the error came back as a problem with the access point. I hard booted my router (I have done this previously), tested the connection, problem still existed.

I ran the Network adapter troubleshooter again and it turned off my Wifi connection. Problem still existed.

As a test, I disabled my ethernet connection, re-enabled my Wifi and voila, I was able to connect to the PC. However, only after mapping it manually, it was still not visible on the network. Only on the W7 PC can I see this problematic W10 PC on the Network.

So, to clarify:

PC #1 is Windows 7, connected to router by ethernet & Wifi.

PC #2 is Windows 10, connected to router by ethernet & Wifi. (Ethernet now disabled)

PC #3 is Windows 10, connected to router by Wifi.

PC #4 is Windows 10 (laptop), connected to router by Wifi.

On PC #1, Network shows all other PC's on the network plus the USB drive I have installed on the router as a media streamer. I was able to map all the other PC's and external drives without issue.

On PC #2, Network shows PC #1, PC #3 and PC #4 - it does not show the USB media drive and strangely, it does not show itself (PC #2)

On PC #3, Network shows PC #1, PC #3 (itself) & PC #4 - it does not show the USB media drive.

On PC #4, Network shows PC #1, PC #3 & PC #4 (itself) - it does not show the USB media drive.

Because I have somehow managed to map the drives on the network manually, I am confused as to why the PC still isn't showing up in network.

To make things more confusing, all PC's are showing all network devices in Homegroup now that I have re-enabled the ethernet - BUT - the problematic PC #2 is showing as unavailable. There is a button to WAKE it, but this does not work. This page only offers
    to remove the device from the Homegroup, there is no troubleshooter listed. So I ran the troubleshooter from settings.

The result halfway through said that the problem was network related and it shut down my Wifi again. The mapped drives still connect but in Homegroup PC #2 I am unable to connect to any device even though I can do so on mapped drives...

LoSibley, Jun 27, 2019
  4. Rebuild of PC but networking is really confusing; 1 PC and 2 Laptops.

1 router 2 computers 2 networks glitch

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand the inconvenience caused. I will be glad to assist you with this.

When you set up a PC, a HomeGroup is created automatically. If a HomeGroup already exists on your home network, you can join it.

You mentioned that both the computes are in different networks. This could be the reason why you are unable to create the homegroup. Therefore, I would suggest you to first try to add both the PC to a single network and try creating the homegroup again.

Refer the steps given below to add a device or PC to a network and check if it helps.

-Plug the PC into a hub, switch, or router and then turn it on. (If your home has Ethernet wiring and you have a jack in the room where the PC is, you can plug the PC into the Ethernet jack instead.)

To make sure you added the PC, follow these steps:

• Sign in to any PC on the network.

• Press Windows key + E to open file explorer and click "network".

• Make sure you see icons for the PC you added and for the other PCs and devices that are part of the network.

Let us know the result.

Wungraileng Vashi, Jun 27, 2019
Thema:

Rebuild of PC but networking is really confusing; 1 PC and 2 Laptops.

1. Rebuild of PC but networking is really confusing; 1 PC and 2 Laptops. - Similar Threads - Rebuild networking really

2. Im really confused

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Im really confused: ok so when I in task manager there is System everyone has it but for some reason I can only find it if I open file location on it in task manager. Also it says date modified 8/11/21 but I got this PC on 3/11/21 so shouldn't it say 3/11/21 and not 8/11/21 or is this a fake...
  3. Really confused

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Really confused: When downloading things off of Steam, my network runs at max, like full bandwidth and things like that, but downloading things off chrome, my speed seems capped to download below 10 mbps, making everything really slow and annoying. Any way to fix this? submitted by...
  4. Rebuilding my No1 PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Rebuilding my No1 PC: I am rebuilding my No.1 PC/Workstation because instability. It reboots every 5-10mins. It seems it is the MB or CPU causing the reboot. Problem is that it is not stable enough for me to create a USB installation file using the Media Creation Tool. Usually reboots sometime in...
  5. Rebuilding pc and license code

Rebuilding pc and license code: I am upgrading/building a new pc, I will replace the motherboard, cpu, ram case and psu but I will keep the GPU and HDD. I will never use the old parts again, so can I just reactivate Windows just like when you upgrade parts? Thanks in advance submitted by /u/ifuxit...
  6. Rebuild my PC...

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Rebuild my PC...: I have a PC that came with windows 8 and I upgraded while it was free to Windows 10 PRO. I need to flatten it and reload windows. Will I lose my license? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/rebuild-my-pc/d9a9be3e-9869-42e0-87ff-e435ee581992
  7. 1 PC 2× Windows?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    1 PC 2× Windows?: Hey, I have a new PC on which I have reinstalled everything (Windows, new key). Now I want to drag some data from my old Hdd to my new one. My question is what happens when I connect the old harddisk, will there be any problems because Windows is installed on both? 1 PC...
  8. 2 WiFi networks, 1 laptop, 4 cameras.....

2 WiFi networks, 1 laptop, 4 cameras.....: Kind of an involved technical question. I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask. I am running Blue Iris NVR software on a Windows 10 laptop. The built-in wifi adapter is 2.4ghz only. I added a 5ghz USB adapter. The 4 cameras are 2.4ghz only. Currently, the cameras...
  9. PC Rebuild and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    PC Rebuild and Windows 10: Hello- I have a 10+ year old PC that I had built originally with a retail version of Windows, I believe version 7. Back when the offer came to download and upgrade to Windows 10 I did so and have been running it since. I am in the process of building a new PC utilizing an...
  10. On Wsus server PC 1 is replaced with PC 2

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    On Wsus server PC 1 is replaced with PC 2: Hello, I am facing a typical issue on Wsus server in my 8yrs career. Scenario is i have 3 pcs with windows 10. 1) I have installed windows 10 on 3 pcs with same bootable usb. 2) When i access WSUS server to see if they are reporting on WSUS server to get windows...