Windows 10: Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system

Discus and support Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone!Well, here is the problem: after a partition manager crash, I have to rebuild all my partition system. I have now my linux system 2... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by vsilaire, Jun 2, 2021.

1. vsilaire Win User

Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system

Hi everyone!Well, here is the problem: after a partition manager crash, I have to rebuild all my partition system. I have now my linux system 2 partitions, an EFI partition on which one is installed rEFInd bootloader, and a Windows System partition, with all my program files folder and et caetera.So, is there a way to rebuild the Windows boot volume and keep my system partition, because I don't want to have to reinstall everything?Thank you very much in advance for you help guys!

:)

vsilaire, Jun 2, 2021

2. clone MBR HD to bootable GPT partition?

Hi,

1. You cannot convert mbr to gpt without data loss. otherwise, you can follow directions here:

FROM WINDOWS RECOVERY CONSOLE:

To change a master boot record disk into a GUID partition table disk using a command line

• Back up or move the data on the basic master boot record (MBR) disk you want to convert into a GUID partition table (GPT) disk.

• Open an elevated command prompt (right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator) and type diskpart. If the disk does not contain any partitions or volumes, skip to step 6.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type list disk. Make note of the disk number you want to convert.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type select disk <disknumber>.

• At the DISKPART prompt, type clean.

2. I'd suggest converting your vista drive to a virtual machine, load that up on your windows 10 system and use a program like virtualbox to run it.

CoatH4nger, Jun 2, 2021
  3. itsakjt Win User
    Moving system to new partition on new hdd

There are commands for doing that. When you enter the Windows installation section by booting from the disk, pressing shift + F10 brings up the CMD console. There are commands which will help you create the 100 MB "System Reserved" partition or MBR partitions on BIOS/UEFI systems or will help you create a 100 MB "System" and 250 MB "EFI" partition on GPT partitions exclusively for UEFI computers. I did this a few months back just to make my system UEFI ready. I did those just by using Easeus partition manager(as I had no unallocated free space for the extra partitions) and another copy of Win 7 installed on another HDD different from my primary drive. And trust me I succeeded and not even 1 bit of data was lost. To this day, that installation of Windows 7 still runs along with a dual boot manager containing Win 8 Pro.

itsakjt, Jun 2, 2021
  4. Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system

Installing and booting windows 10 on a GPT partition

I don't want to dual boot or anything fancy. I have a large disk ( 4 TB). I do not want to split it up into smaller MBR partitions. I want the whole disk to be a GPT partition. when I try to install windows 10/64 bit the install reaches the point where it
    is showing you the two partitions and it says windows cannot install because the partition is GPT. Perhaps I fooled myself in reading various links on the net that implied that you could indeed do what I wanted. If windows 10 will in fact install and boot
    up on a large single GPT partition please give some steps to accomplish this.

Thanks

Terry

TerryWegener, Jun 2, 2021
Thema:

Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system

1. Rebuild Windows boot partition and keep system partition on GPT dualboot system - Similar Threads - Rebuild boot partition

2. Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Fix for boot partition and system partition on separate drives: Attempting to upgrade windows 10 to windows 11. When converting c driveoperating system/boot/system drive from MBR to GPT I discovered that my boot partition and system partition are on separate drives, so I cannot convert. To fix this I am installing a new primary boot drive...
  3. Recover a Windows system partition on GPT dualboot system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recover a Windows system partition on GPT dualboot system: Hi everyone!Well, here is the problem: after a partition manager crash, I have to rebuild all my partition system. I have now my linux system 2 partitions, an EFI partition on which one is installed rEFInd bootloader, and a Windows System partition, with all my program files...
  4. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  5. Move system partition to system reserve partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Move system partition to system reserve partition: I had just install a new m.2 NVMe card yesterday and had cloned my primary drive over to the m.2. It was working wonderfully and was booting up okay then I had decided to clear the original primary drive. I had then tried updating windows from settings and when it tried to...
  6. Rebuild MBR - Missing System Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Rebuild MBR - Missing System Partition: Windows 10 old Motherboard cratered a while back. While troubleshooting I'm afraid I have made it worse, although not sure if that was really possible. I would like to reinstall without loosing my installed programs etc. I have backed up the drive in question. Windows 10...
  7. What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the difference between a system partition and a boot partition: Why does my hard disk have a 500 megabytes unnamed active partition and and a normal 150 gigabytes boot partition as the C:\ Drive? I had thought that active, boot and system partitions were one and the same. 126832
  8. lost boot and system partition!!

lost boot and system partition!!: hello i was update my windows 10 and this was happen. windows can't boot and in cmd didn't show any boot or system in info column. what should i do? i have a picture of working windows and my partitions pictures where is my boot and system? how can i make the boot and system...
  9. Windows 10 OS - GPT Primary Partition Set As EFI System Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 OS - GPT Primary Partition Set As EFI System Partition: Greetings! This is my first problem post here on TenForums and it is a frustrating one. To make a long story short, I installed Windows 10 on my notebook, leaving a large amount of unallocated space available for a future Linux install. Windows 10 had been running without...
  10. Unable to reinstall to previous system partition (GPT)

Unable to reinstall to previous system partition (GPT): I tried to reinstall Windows to my existing system partition (I would like it to make one of those Windows.old folders). When I select the system partition, I get the error: Windows Setup Windows cannot be installed on this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT...