Windows 10: Received possible scam attempt what do I do?

Discus and support Received possible scam attempt what do I do? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I received an alert on my computer saying that my computer could be infected and my personal and banking info had been compromised. Is this a scam and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by KathieBoucher, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Received possible scam attempt what do I do?

I received an alert on my computer saying that my computer could be infected and my personal and banking info had been compromised. Is this a scam and what do I do now? They provided a Microsoft support number that does not match any of the numbers in your list of international numbers. The number is 1 866-744-5723. I suspect that it is fake.

:)

KathieBoucher, Jan 13, 2021
  2. Sharief K Win User

Possible scam?

Hi Thomas,

I can understand the situation you are going through. To help you further, we need the following information.

• Which Microsoft website have you visited?
    • What is the phone number that you have contacted?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?

I suggest you to refer to the links for more information on possible scams.

Avoid scams that use the Microsoft name fraudulently

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/safety/online-privacy/msname.aspx

HOW TO: Report the Microsoft phone scam

http://blogs.microsoft.com/cybertrust/2014/09/18/how-to-report-the-microsoft-phone-scam/

@ bhringer, thank you for bringing this to our notice.

Please get back to us with the above information.

Sharief K, Jan 13, 2021
  3. Smeed Win User
    Smeed, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Received possible scam attempt what do I do?

Possible virus or scam

As already mentioned:

All these kind of pop-ups/alerts are fake warnings - scams. Never ever call these numbers.

Please read:
    Beware of Phony Tech Support Scams

Normally you just close your browser:
    https://blog.malwarebytes.com/threat-analysis/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/

8 Ways to Open Windows Task Manager - wikiHow

You might want to run a quick scan with your Anti-Virus program.

In case you keep on getting these fake alerts:

Follow the steps provided here: Remove Tech Support Scam pop-up (Call For Support Scam)

Suggestion to read:

You might want to report this to Microsoft (but you don't have to):
    http://support.microsoft.com/reportascam

and you might want to watch:

Fake Tech Support Scams – video from the MS Digital Crimes Unit

Jsssssssss, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Received possible scam attempt what do I do?

1. Received possible scam attempt what do I do? - Similar Threads - Received possible scam

2. What email address do I use to forward possible email scam to Microsoft?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What email address do I use to forward possible email scam to Microsoft?: email received from: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** received your order #ODF3265411010000 on May 09, 2023Order Details:Order number: ODF3265411010000Order Date: May 09, 2023Product: Microsoft Firewall Premium ProtectionUser: 1Validity: 12 monthsPrice: $299.99...
  3. What email address do I use to forward possible email scam to Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What email address do I use to forward possible email scam to Microsoft?: email received from: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** received your order #ODF3265411010000 on May 09, 2023Order Details:Order number: ODF3265411010000Order Date: May 09, 2023Product: Microsoft Firewall Premium ProtectionUser: 1Validity: 12 monthsPrice: $299.99...
  4. What email address do I use to forward possible email scam to Microsoft?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. what email address do I use to report possible email scam?

what email address do I use to report possible email scam?: email received from: *** Email address is removed for privacy *** received your order #ODF3265411010000 on May 09, 2023Order Details:Order number: ODF3265411010000Order Date: May 09, 2023Product: Microsoft Firewall Premium ProtectionUser: 1Validity: 12 monthsPrice: $299.99...
  6. Possible Hardware error? What do I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Possible Hardware error? What do I do?: So for the past three days, I've been having these problems that seem to present at random times while I'm playing games on my HP PC. The games were Subnautica and PowerWash Simulator, if that means anythingI'll just be playing, everything normal, when suddenly, all three of...
  7. Possible Hardware error? What do I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Possible Hardware error? What do I do?: So for the past three days, I've been having these problems that seem to present at random times while I'm playing games on my HP PC. The games were Subnautica and PowerWash Simulator, if that means anythingI'll just be playing, everything normal, when suddenly, all three of...
  8. my computer scammed what do I do now

my computer scammed what do I do now: computer has been scamed what to do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-computer-scammed-what-do-i-do-now/aefcbc75-8029-4b4c-ae7b-0e17d8146a1b"
  9. Scammed when turned laptop on. What do I do?

Scammed when turned laptop on. What do I do?: Hi Really sorry, I'm naive and stupid and seem to have fallen for a scam and don't know what to do. I turned my laptop on and it came up with a black screen saying it had a serious virus, not to turn it off or it would be rendered unfixable but to phone the number...
  10. AdblockPlusEngine.exe is possibly leaking Memory. What do I do?

AdblockPlusEngine.exe is possibly leaking Memory. What do I do?: I ran a scan in my Webroot software, and it shows that AdblockPlusEngine.exe has a possible memory leak. In looking it up on Microsoft, it was suggested that I try running Microsoft Safety Scanner, and I did. It showed that no Malware, No viruses, and No unwanted software...