Windows 10: Receiving cannot access file errors even though the file is present

Discus and support Receiving cannot access file errors even though the file is present in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; This question concerns 64-bit Windows 10 system version 2004; OS Build 19041.685. I am struggling to figure out what could be causing the following... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Lewis-5, Dec 14, 2020.

1. Lewis-5 Win User

Receiving cannot access file errors even though the file is present

This question concerns 64-bit Windows 10 system version 2004; OS Build 19041.685.

I am struggling to figure out what could be causing the following error for both operating system and application files:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

This above error appears in a modal dialog.

This error is produced, for example, when attempting to run Task Manager from the task bar, or when double-clicking on it in Explorer, which gets to the heart of the mystery: since I'm double-clicking on the file in Explorer, it is obviously there. Additionally, this error is regularly produced for applications located in the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps directory.

I checked the effective access controls for C:\WINDOWS\system32\taskmgr.exe and the user I am running as has read and execute privileges.

I don't regularly use the machine this error is occurring on, so I don't know exactly when the error started, but I don't see any obvious examples of installed updates that could be the cause of the error.

I successfully executed

• dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth;
    • dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth; and
    • sfc /scannow

without error.

After the problem persisted after executing the above programs, I executed chkdsk /r, which found no filesystem or disk errors.

The final, potentially unrelated, piece of the puzzle is that when I attempted to logon using another account with administrator access, I discovered that I was unable to logon due to an error from OOBESETUP that prevents the graphical logon process from completing I am able to logon as that user in safe mode or by restarting in command prompt mode.

:)

Lewis-5, Dec 14, 2020
Thema:

Receiving cannot access file errors even though the file is present

1. Receiving cannot access file errors even though the file is present - Similar Threads - Receiving cannot access

2. Files Not Showing on HDD Even Though They are There

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files Not Showing on HDD Even Though They are There: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one and plugged the new one in and created a partition. Now when I plugged back in my old one it takes the name of my new one and doesn't show my files even though they are still there. How can I fix...
  3. Files Not Showing on HDD Even Though They are There

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files Not Showing on HDD Even Though They are There: Hello,I bought a new internal HDD so I unplugged my other one and plugged the new one in and created a partition. Now when I plugged back in my old one it takes the name of my new one and doesn't show my files even though they are still there. How can I fix...
  4. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  5. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.: I am trying to delete some text files .txt. I am using Windows 10, latest updates. No matter what I do, I get the message, I don't have the correct permission. I am an administrator on my computer personal home computer. When I look at the security properties of the files, it...
  6. Cannot delete files even though I am an administrator with "Full Control" access to the files.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. File not found error even if the file is present.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File not found error even if the file is present.: I have a folder on my desktop. I am trying to delete the folder. But it's showing that it cannot find anything to delete even if the folder is there and I can see it....
  8. File not found error even if the file is present.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File not found error even if the file is present.: I have a folder on my desktop. I am trying to delete the folder. But it's showing that it cannot find anything to delete even if the folder is there and I can see it....
  9. File not found error even if the file is present.

10. Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file,even though I have administrator...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows cannot access the specified device,path or file,even though I have administrator...: Some apps such as Musixmatch,Skype and Spotify,when I install them from Microsoft Store,seemingly become inaccessible for the Windows System.I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling them multiple times with and without the latest Windows Update was on 1809,am on 1909...