Windows 10: Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting

Discus and support Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've got a Toshiba Satellite C70-A-15G running Windows 10 (upgraded from 8.1) and I've been receiving a lot of BSODs for quite a while now. After... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jorice, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Jorice Win User

Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting

I've got a Toshiba Satellite C70-A-15G running Windows 10 (upgraded from 8.1) and I've been receiving a lot of BSODs for quite a while now. After dutifully ignoring the problem at first, the computer died on me ever more frequently (displaying several types of BSODs, even a rare Orange Screen Of Death), and I started having problems booting it up again. I'd get errors upon booting such as a black screen displaying "Checking media... [Fail]" (or success, somehow it doesn't seem to matter whether that fails or succeeds) after which another black screen greets me displaying "No bootable device -- insert boot disc and press any key". After restarting the computer a few times (often a LOT of times) eventually it would boot up normally, but this appeared to take more and more effort over time. A worrying footnote here is that it appears physically moving the laptop - i.e. opening and closing it, carrying it around, seems to help in getting it to boot up (I can't 100% rule out that being my imagination though). In any case, the problem progressed to the point where I was suddenly greeted by a stubborn blue screen upon starting the pc saying something along the lines of "Boot Configuration Data file doesn't contain valid information for an operating system" (0xc0000098 error), which would not go away with any amount of restarting. After googling around a bit I find I could fix this by creating a recovery drive for Windows 10 on my USB, booting from that and fixing the bcd file using command prompt. This appeared to fix all my problems for a while (both the BSODs and the botting issues), until after a few weeks I got another BSoD which signalled the start of renewed issues, the exact same ones I encountered before. Figuring I'd save myself many annoying attempts to restart my pc I went straight back to the recovery drive (without having received the 0xc0000098 error) and apply the same fix I did earlier, but this time it told me no Windows installation was found.

I restarted a couple of times and managed to get it booted again, but I might receive another BSOD at any moment, and I'm not sure how to reliably get it started again. In general, the elusiveness of what exactly is causing all these problems is really frustrating, and I was hoping I could get some clarity into that. Is it some sort of hardware issue? Or possibly associated with the update to Windows 10? Bad RAM maybe?

Thanks in advance for any kind of help you might be able to offer me.

Attachment 122708

:)

Jorice, Feb 24, 2017

2. ASUS Zenbook 3: BSOD system_service_exception and dpc_watchdog_violation

Hi Brian,

BSOD could occur due to various reasons. It could be due to a hardware issue or a software issue which is why at times, despite having BSOD error still allows you to boot your PC. To resolve your concern, we suggest checking this support article:
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors. The said article could be used as it contains steps on how to fix BSOD
    on your Windows PC.

Don’t hesitate to give us updates on your query.

Arthur Rui, Feb 24, 2017
  3. BSOD Reboot Loop, various error message

First off, thanks for the quick reply. I first uninstalled Kaspersky and continued to receive BSOD with various error code then tried Verifier and it points to iastor.sys being a faulty driver, herewith the dump files

Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

I went in the safe mode to turn off Verifier only to receive more BSOD trying to get back in to windows.

Any further advise?

arvinwcwong, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting

BSODHunter, Feb 26, 2017
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I see you have CCleaner installed. If you are using it, please configure it to not erase dumps and Windows logs:

Attachment 123029

Ztruker, Feb 26, 2017
  6. Jorice Win User
    My apologies for taking this long to get back to you guys on this (I do very much appreciate the help), it appeared I had fixed the issue by running a recovery drive from a USB, and rebuilding the BCD from that. However, the BSoDs are now reappearing, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to boot up again afterwards. Moreover, for some reason whenever I try to run the recovery drive again, it executes the /fixmbr and /fixboot commands successfully, but /scanos and /rebuildbcd fail to find any Windows installations (despite the fact that after attempting to boot up a dozen times or so it often boots successfully again). Is there some way to rebuild the BCD after the PC has started up?

PS: I have those settings disabled (now) in CCleaner, it seems as if Windows is incapable of creating memory dumps when it crashes most of the time however. I attempted to add another dump file, but I fear the dumps (4 includes this time) might not be very useful.

Attachment 131479

Jorice, Apr 21, 2017
  7. Ztruker Win User
    The zip file is empty, nothing in it.

Looking at eventlog.txt, the Event Viewer data, it shows you are getting hard drive errors. That may be what is causing your problems.
    Code: Event[46380]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs Date: 2017-02-25T12:36:56.129 Event ID: 140 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: Info Keyword: N/A User: S-1-5-18 User Name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Computer: JoostPC Description: The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur in VolumeId: C:, DeviceName: \Device\HarddiskVolume4. (The I/O device reported an I/O error.)[/quote] ============================================

Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting [​IMG]
    Diagnostics Test
    Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting [​IMG]

HDD TEST

*Arrow Run HDTune to

• check the health,
    • scan for errors, not quick scan but full scan
    • run a benchmark.

You can also try the various options available with chkdsk.
    ============================================
    Also notice you have a problem with your Microsoft Office install:
    Code: Event[46250]: Log Name: System Source: Service Control Manager Date: 2017-02-25T11:17:40.880 Event ID: 7000 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: JoostPC Description: The Microsoft Office ClickToRun Service service failed to start due to the following error: Microsoft Office ClickToRun Service is not a valid Win32 application.[/quote] Might want to uninstall and reinstall it.

Ztruker, Apr 22, 2017
  8. Jorice Win User

Weird - I've added another zip file to this post, this time with content.

HDTune gives two warnings ((05) Reallocated Sector Count, (C4) Reallocated Event Count) and one attention ((C7) Interface CRC Error Count) to the health. I'm currently running the error scan, but I fear my PC will crash before it completes; it scans at just 8 MB/s and has to go for 500 gB... that's over 17 hours.

Can I run the benchmark before the error scan is complete?

PS: I'm aware of the issues with Word - not sure what's causing them however. I figured I'd fix that when (if?) my PC operable is again.

Attachment 131585

Jorice, Apr 22, 2017
  9. Jorice Win User
    Scratch that, scanning speed just went up to some 90 MB/s.

Jorice, Apr 22, 2017
  10. Jorice Win User
    It finished, and found no errors. However, I subsequently attempted to run the Benahcmark, and that quickly gave me the following error:
    I/O Error!
    Test aborted.

Jorice, Apr 22, 2017
  11. Jorice Win User
    Just realised I ran the File Benchmark (which gave the error above), and not the Benchmark.
    I now ran the second, which gave me some peculiar results. The value along the axis slowly stooped from 100 MB/s to some 50 MB/s, but between 200 and 270 gB and 350 and 360 gB on the x-axis it suddenly dropped to <10 MB/s.
    Minimum: 1.9 MB/s
    Maximum: 98.2 MB/s
    Average: 63.5 MB/s
    Access time: 18.9 ms
    Burst rate: 99.5 MB/s
    CPU usage 4.4%

Jorice, Apr 22, 2017
  12. Ztruker Win User
    The 4/22 dump shows this:
    Code: BugCheck 154, {ffffbd0d9e24e000, ffffe600d89cbff0, 2, 0} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys Probably caused by : hardware_disk[/quote] Code: 3: kd> .exr 0xffffe600d89ccf68 ExceptionAddress: fffff803635379f0 (nt!RtlDecompressBufferXpressLz+0x0000000000000050) ExceptionCode: c0000006 (In-page I/O error) ExceptionFlags: 00000000 NumberParameters: 3 Parameter[0]: 0000000000000000 Parameter[1]: 000000000528e9a0 Parameter[2]: 00000000c000000e Inpage operation failed at 000000000528e9a0, due to I/O error 00000000c000000e[/quote] So still looking like a hard drive problem.

See if the file C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP exists. If yes, zip it and upload to a file sharing site like OneDrive and post a link to it here please. The dump is in refereence to this Event viewer entry:
    Code: Event[44558]: Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting Date: 2017-04-22T09:32:33.495 Event ID: 1001 Task: N/A Level: Error Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: JoostPC Description: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000154 (0xffffbd0d9e24e000, 0xffffe600d89cbff0, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: afbefd47-9938-4572-81b4-e2c555fa3f00.[/quote] Don't know what HDTune is showing you but it sounds like there are definite problems.
    If you have not made an image backup of your hard drive, now is the time to do so, before it fails completely. The best method would be to use a program like Macrium Reflect Free or Pro and backup to an external hard drive.

One more thing. Noticed this in the thread trace:
    Code: ffffe600`d89cb008 fffff80e`05054158Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\dump_iaStorA.sys, Win32 error 0n2 *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for dump_iaStorA.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for dump_iaStorA.sys dump_iaStorA+0x84158[/quote] Driver Description: Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) driver
    Driver Update Site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/sea...age+Technology

Try the latest RST driver available, see if that makes any difference.

Ztruker, Apr 22, 2017
  13. Jorice Win User

Jorice, Apr 22, 2017
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Yes, that is the one I would go with. It looks like the latest 64 bit driver.

Ztruker, Apr 23, 2017
  15. Ztruker Win User
    MEMORY.DMP shows same error:
    Code: BugCheck 154, {ffffbd0d9e24e000, ffffe600d89cbff0, 2, 0} Probably caused by : hardware_disk[/quote] If the new Intel RST doesn't fix this you need to look at replacing the hard drive.

Ztruker, Apr 23, 2017
Thema:

1. Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting - Similar Threads - Receiving various BSODs

2. Computer having various issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer having various issues: Ok, so this has been an ongoing issue, and I'm not sure what is happening.So, there have been at least 3 times now when booting up the computer that it gets to the HP logo on bootup, which takes like a second to get to, and then it hangs there. No loading symbols or anything,...
  3. Computer having various issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer having various issues: Ok, so this has been an ongoing issue, and I'm not sure what is happening.So, there have been at least 3 times now when booting up the computer that it gets to the HP logo on bootup, which takes like a second to get to, and then it hangs there. No loading symbols or anything,...
  4. Computer having various issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD daily - various issues unsure

BSOD daily - various issues unsure: Hi,Hope someone can help me. In the last month or so, my PC has been crashing to the BSOD daily, sometimes more than daily. The stop codes have been inconsistant. Memory Management comes up most often, with Unexpected Store Exception Kernal Data InPage Error also coming up. I...
  6. Various BSOD Issues: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE, etc.

Various BSOD Issues: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE, etc.: Hi, So I built my PC a few months ago and every once in a while I'd get various BSODs. They recently stopped occurring till one day windows could not be read on my boot drive so I performed a fresh install. Now the BSODs happens more often. I'm not very good with software...
  7. BSOD on Boot, various memory related messages

BSOD on Boot, various memory related messages: OK, I've got an annoying one here. I have a fresh install of Windows 10 Home on a factory built PC (Chillblast) that was running OK under Windows 7, but is now Blue Screening on Windows 10. When I boot the PC from cold about 1/3 of the time it will blue screen. The...
  8. Unable to boot into windows: Receiving various stop codes and errors.

Unable to boot into windows: Receiving various stop codes and errors.: Hi! This is the first problem i've never been able to solve with a few google searches and so my first forum post (Sorry if this is in the wrong place)! Since updating to Win10 I've had loads of minor issues, however this time seems a bit more serious. I'm unable to boot...
  9. Receiving various BSOD errors on Windows 10.

Receiving various BSOD errors on Windows 10.: Hello, I have a Latitude E5450 laptop running Windows 10 with the latest update. Recently I have started getting the blue screen of death very often (several times a day) with various errors. I have tried a tool called "BlueScreenView", the results show that most of...
  10. BSOD from various issues, have tried many different fixes.

BSOD from various issues, have tried many different fixes.: Hi, been having BSOD since the 02/05/2017 from a wide range of causes, mainly from watching videos (Youtube, Facebook) and haven't had any crashes during gaming. I have started a forum on Tom's Hardware and got referenced here to get help by uploading my dumpfile. Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. stop code driver irql not less or equal has stooped my internet