Windows 10: Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting

Discus and support Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I ran the error scan twice more for good measure,which came up empty both times: https://s28.postimg.org/esy2e5obx/Screenshot_619.png So I'm hoping... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Jorice, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Jorice Win User

Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting

I ran the error scan twice more for good measure,which came up empty both times:
    https://s28.postimg.org/esy2e5obx/Screenshot_619.png

So I'm hoping it's the RST driver, which could make sense as I remember using a programme called "DriverBooster" about half a year back which I was later told could have a detrimental effect on your computer. Problem is, when I run the RST Driver installer, it gives me an error:

The setup program ended prematurely due to the following error:
    This platform is not supported.

Log:
    Attachment 131729

Jorice, Apr 23, 2017
  2. Jorice Win User

I ran the Intel Driver Update Utility to see which ones were outdated, which only found that my Graphics Driver could be updated (done now).

Since the RST Driver page mentioned "For Intel Platforms not supported above, visit the RAID version 14.8.0.", I also tried that version, but again I received the same error message.

Jorice, Apr 23, 2017
  3. zbook New Member
    In case aI missed it did you go into your bios and run extensive component tests on your internal hard drive? Were you able to place your product number or serial number into the computer manufacturer's web site to get the most up to date driver for your configuration?

zbook, Apr 23, 2017
  4. Jorice Win User

I didn't - how do I run tests from the BIOS?

I was able to enter my serial number into the Toshiba website, and it finds plenty of drivers, but none under "RST". Is there any other driver I'd have to download from here?

Jorice, Apr 23, 2017
  5. zbook New Member
    Each computer manufacture has a F key to press that opens the bios. There is also another F key that goes directly to the bios UEFI diagnostics so that you don't have to navigate. For HP for example clicking the F10 key during boot goes to the bios where you can navigate and clicking F2 goes to the bios diagnostics. Once in the bios you can run extensive tests which may take 4 to 5 hours and then wake up in the morning to see the results. Alternatively you can run a component test for any hardware of concern. So for you you may want to run either the extensive tests on everything or the component tests on your HD.
    If your problem is related to your HD drivers you can go to device manager and expand disk drives. There you can right click on any of the drives and view properties and drivers. For any Microsoft driver you can update or uninstall and then get a new driver after reboot. The other drivers are best downloaded from the computer manufactures web site as they have been tested. On occasion you can go directly to Nvidia or Intel web sites and download drivers but they will most often recommend that you first try the drivers from the manufacture's web site.

zbook, Apr 23, 2017
  6. Jorice Win User
    I uninstalled and reinstalled the hard disk driver (it was a Microsoft one) even though it said I already had the latest version, and I'll be doing the BIOS tests later today, and report back here.

Jorice, Apr 23, 2017
  7. Jorice Win User
    I can't find any type of diagnostics in the BIOS, and googling didn't result in information about such a feature for my laptop.

However, my PC hasn't crashed again yet, and while booting into the BIOS (which failed a few times because I didn't use the right key) Windows started up flawlessly each time, which hasn't happened in a long time. I wonder if reinstalling the hard disk driver somehow already did the trick?

Jorice, Apr 23, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

These two web sites I found on google search for the F keys for bios access by manufacturer
    System BIOS Boot Keys for Laptops/Desktop PCs - Desert Crystal Technologies
    BIOS Keys by Computer Maker (Lenovo, Dell, Sony, Etc.)

This has the UEFI menu for HP computers: HP Notebook PCs - Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 10, 8) | HP® Customer Support

See if you can find something similar to download from the toshiba web site for you computer if it is not already in the bios.

Until you solve the bsod you may benefit from using clean boot: How to perform a Clean Boot in Windows 10 - TechNet Articles - United States (English) - TechNet Wiki

zbook, Apr 23, 2017
  9. Jorice Win User
    Unfortunately, it appears Toshiba does not have such a function. I am able to enter the BIOS (by pressing F2), but there are no such tests, and searching online all I found was a pre-installed programme that immediately told me my HDD was "good".

I did manage to update/repair the Rapid Storage Technology driver directly from the Toshiba website however, and I still haven't received any new BSoDs.

Jorice, Apr 23, 2017
  10. zbook New Member
    Once you have the matter solved you can perform preventative maintenance with windows driver verifier.

Windows driver verifier is a tool used to find misbehaving drivers.

The application produces blue screens, the misbehaving driver is/are identified, the drivers are reinstalled and then the computer is used ideally for 36 hours of normal use with no BSOD.

Before using it you can download whocrashed and or bluescreenview which provide immediate information about the driver from analyzing the minidump and memory.dmp files.

You must know your way around the windows troubleshooting menu to be able to turn it off and return to the desktop.

To turn it on type verifier in administrative command prompt.
    To turn it off type verifier /reset

This is a link on how to set up and use windows driver verifier: Driver Verifier-- tracking down a mis-behaving driver. - Microsoft Community

When I contacted toshiba they reported the following:
    1) hold down the F2 when you boot
    2) The UEFI diagnostics should be available travelling in the menu
    3) If the UEFI diagnostics are not there the firmware can be downloaded at Official Toshiba Support | Toshiba
    4) enter your serial number then download the UEFI firmware.
    5) then run the tests on your hardware
    If you have any problems you can reach then at 800 457 7777

zbook, Apr 23, 2017
  11. Jorice Win User
    Thanks a lot!

I'll give them a call because I honestly can't find the firmware for the UEFI diagnostics on their site.

Jorice, Apr 23, 2017
  12. zbook New Member
    These are some examples of computer manufacturer BIOS UEFI diagnostic options to check the hardware:

1) HP: both on board and USB: HP PC Hardware Diagnostics | HP® Official Site

2) DELL: in this link expand the diagnostics section (whether it is computer model specific or for many dell models is not yet clear): Support for PowerEdge R820 | Dell US

3) LENOVO: Lenovo UEFI Diagnostics - Bootable USB (Create it on Windows OS) - Desktops, Notebooks, Workstations

4) TOSHIBA: (in this youtube video I did not see the BIOS UEFI diagnostics to test hardware but he displays how to navigate the bios) How to boot into UEFI Settings on a Toshiba Satellite C855 Windows 8 - YouTube

Seatools for windows can test any computer manufacturer's hard drive whereas the Western Digital is limited to its hard drives. I've not used the HP UEFI USB diagnostics and wonder whether it has any utility for non HP/compaq computers. If you have a flash drive it may be worth a try.

zbook, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Receiving various BSODs, having issues booting - Similar Threads - Receiving various BSODs

2. Computer having various issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer having various issues: Ok, so this has been an ongoing issue, and I'm not sure what is happening.So, there have been at least 3 times now when booting up the computer that it gets to the HP logo on bootup, which takes like a second to get to, and then it hangs there. No loading symbols or anything,...
  3. Computer having various issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer having various issues: Ok, so this has been an ongoing issue, and I'm not sure what is happening.So, there have been at least 3 times now when booting up the computer that it gets to the HP logo on bootup, which takes like a second to get to, and then it hangs there. No loading symbols or anything,...
  4. Computer having various issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. BSOD daily - various issues unsure

BSOD daily - various issues unsure: Hi,Hope someone can help me. In the last month or so, my PC has been crashing to the BSOD daily, sometimes more than daily. The stop codes have been inconsistant. Memory Management comes up most often, with Unexpected Store Exception Kernal Data InPage Error also coming up. I...
  6. Various BSOD Issues: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE, etc.

Various BSOD Issues: KERNEL_AUTO_BOOST_INVALID_LOCK_RELEASE, etc.: Hi, So I built my PC a few months ago and every once in a while I'd get various BSODs. They recently stopped occurring till one day windows could not be read on my boot drive so I performed a fresh install. Now the BSODs happens more often. I'm not very good with software...
  7. BSOD on Boot, various memory related messages

BSOD on Boot, various memory related messages: OK, I've got an annoying one here. I have a fresh install of Windows 10 Home on a factory built PC (Chillblast) that was running OK under Windows 7, but is now Blue Screening on Windows 10. When I boot the PC from cold about 1/3 of the time it will blue screen. The...
  8. Unable to boot into windows: Receiving various stop codes and errors.

Unable to boot into windows: Receiving various stop codes and errors.: Hi! This is the first problem i've never been able to solve with a few google searches and so my first forum post (Sorry if this is in the wrong place)! Since updating to Win10 I've had loads of minor issues, however this time seems a bit more serious. I'm unable to boot...
  9. Receiving various BSOD errors on Windows 10.

Receiving various BSOD errors on Windows 10.: Hello, I have a Latitude E5450 laptop running Windows 10 with the latest update. Recently I have started getting the blue screen of death very often (several times a day) with various errors. I have tried a tool called "BlueScreenView", the results show that most of...
  10. BSOD from various issues, have tried many different fixes.

BSOD from various issues, have tried many different fixes.: Hi, been having BSOD since the 02/05/2017 from a wide range of causes, mainly from watching videos (Youtube, Facebook) and haven't had any crashes during gaming. I have started a forum on Tom's Hardware and got referenced here to get help by uploading my dumpfile. Windows...