Windows 10: Recent Bios Update Enabled Bitlocker and now locked my laptop

Discus and support Recent Bios Update Enabled Bitlocker and now locked my laptop in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Help please! A recent MS BIOS update to my Dell Inspiron 15 5584 has resulted in Bitlocker now being enabled, when it wasn't previously. I've never... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by wswo809, Jul 16, 2021.

1. wswo809 Win User

Recent Bios Update Enabled Bitlocker and now locked my laptop

Help please! A recent MS BIOS update to my Dell Inspiron 15 5584 has resulted in Bitlocker now being enabled, when it wasn't previously. I've never installed any MS software other than what came with the laptop new. So I have no Recovery Key to unlock my laptop. I've tried everything I can think of. Thanks.

:)

wswo809, Jul 16, 2021

2. BitLocker won't enable on Windows 10 after update on Aug 9

Hi Brenda,

I would be happy to assist you.

Before I assist you I would like to know the information below,

• Do you have a Windows 10 copy of the operating system?

I suggest you check whether the Bit locker is ON or OFF using the steps below.

Can you verify if BitLocker is enabled or disabled on your device? You can Enable/disable BitLocker by going to Desktop and follow these steps:

• Swipe Right to Left to bring up the Charm.

• Choose Settings.

• Choose Control Panel.

• Select BitLocker Drive Encryption.

• Verify whether BitLocker is on or off on each device.
    Also I suggest you to enable the WinRE so that you can enter the bit locker key and proceed.

When WinRE is disabled, you cannot enable BitLocker, and you receive an error message that resembles the following.

This PC doesn't support entering a BitLocker recovery password during startup. Ask your administrator to configure Windows Recovery Environment so that you can use BitLocker.

The solution would be to manually enable the windows recovery environment:

• Copying the winre.wim file from c:\windows\system32\recovery\ to a folder on a recovery partition. (The partition need to have a drive letter at this point.)

• Set the RE Image path. Example: reagentc /setreimage /path r:\recovery\windowsre

• Enable RE with command: reagentc /enable

• (You may remove the drive letter for the recovery partition after you have done this.)

• Bit locker will be enabled.
    If the issue still persists, suggest you to post your query on the below link.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Jul 16, 2021
  3. Steve C Win User
    Bitlocker Enabled on New HP Laptop - Disable or Keep?

I just bought a new HP ProBook and I've just noticed it is supplied with Bitlocker enabled on the system drive.

I only use the laptop in a secure location for general home PC use. Are there any disadvantages of keeping Bitlocker enabled on the drive? Macrium Reflect works OK but my Partition Magic bootable USB stick doesn't find the bitlocked partitions. I also need to do a BIOS update since the latest version was not installed. Are there issues updating the BIOS with bitlocker enabled?

Steve C, Jul 16, 2021
  4. Recent Bios Update Enabled Bitlocker and now locked my laptop

Unable to enable BitLocker on Windows 10.

Original title: Win 10 Clean Install Cannot enable Bitlocker

Hi

Trying to do a clean install of Win10 Pro on a new Lenovo M700 Tiny machine. Win 10 OS Build 10586.218, version 1511

Cannot activate Bitlocker. Run thru turning on Bitlocker, saving key backup to USB, encrypt entire drive, using new encryption, select test Bitlocker encryption, reboot, bitlocker fails: "Bitlocker could not be enabled. The Bitlocker Encryption
    key cannot be obtained from the Trusted Platform Module".

Have tried:

• Checked TPM.msc. TPM is recognized, activated, owned etc

• Deactivated TPM in BIOS, rebooted, logged in, verified off in TPM.msc, rebooted, reactivated in BIOS, TPM.msc sees functioning TPM, still fails same error

• Cleared and reactivated TPM using TPM.msc. Same error

• Formatted and reinstalled Win10 3 times. Recreated the Win10 USB install "disk" using the media creation tool for 1 attempt. Same issue each time.

• All Lenovo driver & BIOS updates installed using Thinkvantage Tools. All MS Win 10 updates installed

Any help appreciated

boatasiaus, Jul 16, 2021
Thema:

Recent Bios Update Enabled Bitlocker and now locked my laptop

1. Recent Bios Update Enabled Bitlocker and now locked my laptop - Similar Threads - Recent Bios Update

2. My laptop is now locked by BitLocker, and I didn't set it up.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop is now locked by BitLocker, and I didn't set it up.: I purchased my laptop about 1 year ago, and it's been working great. Today I booted it up and now it wants a BitLocker code. I have never set it up, never heard of it. I logged into my account and doesn't show the device. I AM NOT FORMATTING MY DRIVE! Please tell me how to...
  3. My laptop is now locked by BitLocker, and I didn't set it up.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop is now locked by BitLocker, and I didn't set it up.: I purchased my laptop about 1 year ago, and it's been working great. Today I booted it up and now it wants a BitLocker code. I have never set it up, never heard of it. I logged into my account and doesn't show the device. I AM NOT FORMATTING MY DRIVE! Please tell me how to...
  4. My laptop is now locked by BitLocker, and I didn't set it up.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Laptop locked in bitlocker

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop locked in bitlocker: Hi, last year my windows 11 laptop updated and locked me into bitlocker. I cant factory reset it either, what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-locked-in-bitlocker/a15b76f2-baaa-4b1e-8b65-9d8c1cbf286c
  6. Laptop locked in bitlocker

Laptop locked in bitlocker: Hi, last year my windows 11 laptop updated and locked me into bitlocker. I cant factory reset it either, what do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-locked-in-bitlocker/a15b76f2-baaa-4b1e-8b65-9d8c1cbf286c
  7. Bitlocker and updating BIOS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker and updating BIOS: Before I update the BIOS, I'm asking myself about Bitlocker and if it has the Drive locked. Since I am getting nowhere with myself, I thought it best to ask someone abroad, so here I am. My question then is, how can I tell if my Drive is locked and then this. When I click on...
  8. Bitlocker and updating BIOS

Bitlocker and updating BIOS: Before I update the BIOS, I'm asking myself about Bitlocker and if it has the Drive locked. Since I am getting nowhere with myself, I thought it best to ask someone abroad, so here I am. My question then is, how can I tell if my Drive is locked and then this. When I click on...
  9. BitLocker locked my drive after a BIOS update

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    BitLocker locked my drive after a BIOS update: HP updated BIOS which turned on BitLocker and locked and encrypted my drive. I never set up BitLocker so I don't have the key or a password. It is not saved in my Microsoft account since I never set it up. BestBuy set up my laptop and transferred files from my old computer...
  10. Locking an Unlocked BitLocker Enabled Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Locking an Unlocked BitLocker Enabled Drive: Hi, I searched for an option to lock an unlocked BitLocker enabled drive but couldn't find anything. The unlocked drive is accessible by the other user when switching the user account. There should be an option to lock the drive when a user has finished. I hereby suggest...